The Student Room Group

university in london?? london students please respond

I'm currently year 12 applying to unis for law this year, and I recently had a huge change of heart about which unis I wanted to apply to, like I changed 4/5 of my potential options. Oxford has always been the dream course for me, but I'd been adamant on staying away from london. now, for various reasons, london really appeals to me.

1. for personal medical reasons, london has the best access
2. for social reasons, I can find the queer community easily in london, but there will be some diversity in every city
3. for career reasons, I may want to shoot for magic circle or international firms in london

people keep telling me that the costs will be insane and I'm not that well off, so wtf do I do? and I've heard that the unis KCL/UCL/LSE don't have on-site accommodation either. I just feel like I'd be okay to live in a big city, I've never had that experience, and I want to aim HIGH with opportunities.

I'm also writing this post because I'm procrastinating on some homework, but the sentiments here are 100% real.
Original post by hanstudies
I'm currently year 12 applying to unis for law this year, and I recently had a huge change of heart about which unis I wanted to apply to, like I changed 4/5 of my potential options. Oxford has always been the dream course for me, but I'd been adamant on staying away from london. now, for various reasons, london really appeals to me.

2. for social reasons, I can find the queer community easily in london, but there will be some diversity in every city
3. for career reasons, I may want to shoot for magic circle or international firms in london

people keep telling me that the costs will be insane and I'm not that well off, so wtf do I do? and I've heard that the unis KCL/UCL/LSE don't have on-site accommodation either. I just feel like I'd be okay to live in a big city, I've never had that experience, and I want to aim HIGH with opportunities.

I'm also writing this post because I'm procrastinating on some homework, but the sentiments here are 100% real.

KCL, UCL and LSE aren't proper campus universities. UCL does have the Bloomsbury campus but it is quite small and not all teaching facilities are located on the campus (they're mostly all nearby in Bloomsbury). Similar story with KCL and LSE, who have their teaching facilities dotted around the Strand or nearby Theatreland (for the most part). Accomodation tends to be near these places or a decent commutable distance away.

London indeed has some wild prices that are nothing short of legalised robbery but nothing beats the shock of renting. You might find that most of your maintenance loan gets gobbled up by the rent alone and leaves you with alarmingly little to live on. The Bank of Mum and Dad might help, depending on your family's situation, and there will be bursaries and other things you can apply to get more money, or else you'll just have to work part-time.

Queen Mary is the only university with a proper campus in London in which you can live in and unlike KCL, UCL or LSE accomodation, the uni accomodation there is somewhat affordable. Queen Mary is obviously a step down from the reputation of the universities you mentioned but it's still a respected university and the Law school is very well respected from what I gather (and it tends to rank highly). Perhaps another option to consider as a bit of a compromise between prestige and affordability?

P.S.: stop procrastinating and get back to your homework :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
KCL, UCL and LSE aren't proper campus universities. UCL does have the Bloomsbury campus but it is quite small and not all teaching facilities are located on the campus (they're mostly all nearby in Bloomsbury). Similar story with KCL and LSE, who have their teaching facilities dotted around the Strand or nearby Theatreland (for the most part). Accomodation tends to be near these places or a decent commutable distance away.

London indeed has some wild prices that are nothing short of legalised robbery but nothing beats the shock of renting. You might find that most of your maintenance loan gets gobbled up by the rent alone and leaves you with alarmingly little to live on. The Bank of Mum and Dad might help, depending on your family's situation, and there will be bursaries and other things you can apply to get more money, or else you'll just have to work part-time.

Queen Mary is the only university with a proper campus in London in which you can live in and unlike KCL, UCL or LSE accomodation, the uni accomodation there is somewhat affordable. Queen Mary is obviously a step down from the reputation of the universities you mentioned but it's still a respected university and the Law school is very well respected from what I gather (and it tends to rank highly). Perhaps another option to consider as a bit of a compromise between prestige and affordability?

P.S.: stop procrastinating and get back to your homework :smile:

Thank you for the reply. I will definitely be working part-time to cover costs, but I guess the good thing about London is that while the prices are high, there are more places to find work, and wages should be higher too (??)

I still have to think hard about this since I've always wanted to go to a campus university, so I'll just have to evaluate what I need the most and also I hope to visit London later this year to get a sense of them 👍️
Original post by hanstudies

Hi @hanstudies

Have you thought about Kingston uni? I feel as though I was in a similar position to you this time last year, London was never on the top of my list because of the cost but then I found Kingston which isn't in central London so isn't as overwhelming, but is right on the Thames and just a short train journey to central. It's really the best of both.

The university offers a range of student halls within walking distance to the near by campuses and this also makes accommodation more affordable at similar price points to other universities outside of London. Plus there are free university buses which are really useful. This is definitely something to look into on the website and consider if this would work for you. Accommodation - Kingston University London

Also you get the living in London student loan which can help and you are right some jobs offer London living wage which is a more than the national living wage. I work as a student ambassador which offers this and is a great way to work around studying. I have also got a student oyster card and many places offer student discounts and student nights in pubs and clubs, all things that can help and too consider.

There's a few options on courses with law as the subject and an open day on 27th April that you could check out if your thinking of visiting London this year. I hope this helps any questions feel free to ask and good luck with making your choices and applying 🙂

Grace 1st year student (Kingston Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending