The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Vet School Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi Cetacea,

I've got an offer from Edinburgh for the Graduate program... so exciting :biggrin: Just wondering if you know much about the GEP year and how busy it is? Is it 9-5. I'm just asking as it would be good to get a part time job but I also have a horse which would also take up time.
Reply 21
Original post by kthomson2
Hi Cetacea,

I've got an offer from Edinburgh for the Graduate program... so exciting :biggrin: Just wondering if you know much about the GEP year and how busy it is? Is it 9-5. I'm just asking as it would be good to get a part time job but I also have a horse which would also take up time.

Congratulations on your offer! I don't know a lot about the GEP course, but of course everything is accelerated so it may well be more intense than the D100 course which I'm on. I think you'll probably just have to see how you go in the first semester; if the workload is too much then you may want to re-consider getting a job, but if you're finding it reasonably balanced then go for it. Also, you may know this already but there aren't any facilities for keeping your horse at the vet school.

Did you go to the post-offer visit day last week?
Reply 22
Original post by Cetacea
Congratulations on your offer! I don't know a lot about the GEP course, but of course everything is accelerated so it may well be more intense than the D100 course which I'm on. I think you'll probably just have to see how you go in the first semester; if the workload is too much then you may want to re-consider getting a job, but if you're finding it reasonably balanced then go for it. Also, you may know this already but there aren't any facilities for keeping your horse at the vet school.

Did you go to the post-offer visit day last week?

Yeah I guess that's the best idea. Thanks :smile: yeah I did know I can't keep my horse there but my friend works at a yard nearby. Yeah I did go to the visit day. Absolutely loved it :smile:
Reply 23
Yeah I guess that's the best idea. Thanks :smile: yeah I did know I can't keep my horse there but my friend works at a yard nearby. Yeah I did go to the visit day. Absolutely loved it :smile:

Hey! I'm applying to Edinburgh for 2014 and have two horses that will come with me, let me know where you keep yours and any reputable yards?? Thank you! xx
Reply 24
Original post by peanut0608
Hey! I'm applying to Edinburgh for 2014 and have two horses that will come with me, let me know where you keep yours and any reputable yards?? Thank you! xx

Oh awesome :smile: yeah I will keep you informed! X
Reply 25
Oh awesome :smile: yeah I will keep you informed! X

Thanks! x
Reply 26
Hey, I was just reading about the online support that Edinburgh gives for "virtual learning environments", the article is from 2005 so I was just wondering if they still have systems like these that summarise your lectures/provide quizzes and virtual cases and revision tools and if so how useful are they? :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by wallaby
Hey, I was just reading about the online support that Edinburgh gives for "virtual learning environments", the article is from 2005 so I was just wondering if they still have systems like these that summarise your lectures/provide quizzes and virtual cases and revision tools and if so how useful are they? :smile:

We have the Edinburgh Electronic Veterinary Curriculum (EEVeC) which is like the online portal for students of all years. It's where we get notices, exam/course marks, lecture presentations, practical info, student info, discussion forum, timetable - everything basically! There's also a computer-aided learning (CAL) section with quizzes and you can get feedback on your marks. There's also a section called the Virtual Vet School with a virtual farm, where you can find out more about the university's dairy farm and the sheep unit at the vet school. It's all excellent and very well organised.
Reply 28
Original post by Cetacea
We have the Edinburgh Electronic Veterinary Curriculum (EEVeC) which is like the online portal for students of all years. It's where we get notices, exam/course marks, lecture presentations, practical info, student info, discussion forum, timetable - everything basically! There's also a computer-aided learning (CAL) section with quizzes and you can get feedback on your marks. There's also a section called the Virtual Vet School with a virtual farm, where you can find out more about the university's dairy farm and the sheep unit at the vet school. It's all excellent and very well organised.

Ah yes that's what it was about :smile: Thank you! It sounds really useful.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi, Edinburgh is my first choice as I'm looking to specialize in exotics, I'll be applying next year:smile: I was just wondering what the chances are of getting in if you're from England? I've heard they usually take Scottish students over anyone else?
Reply 30
Hi Cetacea,

There will definitely be some days where it is 9-5 between lectures (often in the morning) and practicals (the afternoon). Sometimes you will have your first lecture at 9am, and your last at 5pm, but may have 1-2h breaks in between while another group has a practical. However the bus only comes 1/hour so unless you are driving it can be hard to leave for those breaks (and not really enough time to see your horse anyway I imagine).

Having said that, I know people that got part-time jobs and just worked nights at a bar, or a weekend job. It wouldn't have worked for me I don't think but it did (does) for them.
Reply 31
Original post by GoodbyeCourage
Hi, Edinburgh is my first choice as I'm looking to specialize in exotics, I'll be applying next year:smile: I was just wondering what the chances are of getting in if you're from England? I've heard they usually take Scottish students over anyone else?

There are a number of English people in my year so I don't personally believe this to be true (GEP stream and regular stream).
Reply 32

If you look in admissions stats on their website they said they take 39 English, welsh/Irish students and 33 Scottish :smile: so I wouldn't be put off applying due to that. Loads of english students had interviews this year :smile:
Reply 33

Original post by wallaby
If you look in admissions stats on their website they said they take 39 English, welsh/Irish students and 33 Scottish :smile: so I wouldn't be put off applying due to that. Loads of english students had interviews this year :smile:

^ Absolutely - they do not prioritise Scottish students over rest of UK students. A lot of the media will have you believe that Scottish universities, particularly Edinburgh, favour Scots over the rest but it's not true - they're just interested in attracting the best students regardless of where they come from.

FYI - English/Scottish/Welsh/Northern Ireland = 72 places; then another 40-50 places are allocated to international/EU students and graduates. But graduates can apply for the accelerated 4-year Graduate Entry Programme (D102) - if they're not accepted on this then they may be offered a place on the standard 5-year D100 programme.

Hope that's helpful.
hi i just received an offer from Edinburgh and I an hoping to firm it soon:smile: i was wondering how much the buses cost and which accommodation would you recommend????

also what books would you recommend buying or that you have found the most useful????
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
I second the above comment!

Looking at accomodation but have no idea where/what Georges street is to know if I need to be within 10 minutes walking distance haha

Also wondering if there is anywhere in particular the vets tend to go for?

And where the but to the campus goes from?

Ahhh just soo excited to finally be going!
Reply 36
Well, Cetacean may well have more to add but fwiw:

Accommodation: a big thing to decide first is whether you want catered (meals provided for you) accommodation. If you do, there is only one "main" residence that provides that, though there are sub-buildings within that residence. That is Pollock Halls. This is where most "first-years" of multiple programs end up, so it can be a great place to meet people across different programs. I personally have heard the food is pretty bad, but can't say for sure as I only stayed for a few weeks several years ago. When I was there it was ok, nothing to write home about but edible.

If you are ok with self catered accommodation, then you have more choice.

Location: the vet school is about 30-40min from city center, depending on traffic etc. The residences are all pretty much 30min from campus. The main buses supplying the vet school are the 67 and the 15, with the 47 stopping there at peak times (7-9am and 4:30-8:00 pm or something like that). Offhand I would say most of the residences would be near one of those routes, but that is a VERY offhand and general comment-you'd be better to check. The website for the bus company for Edinburgh central is www.lothianbuses.com. A bus pass is 40 quid per 4 weeks, but the school subsidizes this (by about 20 quid-I can't remember exactly, perhaps Cetacean does. Mine hasn't come through yet. :tongue:).

George street is where some of the more expensive restaurants and clubs are located. For me, it is part of "downtown Edinburgh". If you want to be right in the center of things, of the party scene, it may be the place for you. It is close to St. Andrews Square, which is where a lot of the lothian routes originate.

High street/the royal mile is right the center of Edinburgh, a lot of touristy shops, clothing stores, some restaurants and attractions. Blackfriars Street is off of this (one of the residences I think-I stayed there first year and liked it though being a hostel it can be a bit noisy. The only time I really had a problem, I reported it and it quietened down).

Warrender Park road is more the south end of Edinburgh, in more of a residential area. A lot of vet students live in this (Marchmont) area (private housing especially I'd say).

I am sure there are a lot more residences but those are the areas I remember off the top of my head.

The bus to the campus is a regular city bus and makes multiple stops before arriving at the Bush. I live in the Marchmont area so I catch the 67 from Summerhall, which is the "old" vet school building. For specific school-organized coaches these tend to leave from Summerhall as well (not sure how much these are still used after the deal with lothian).

For books, you will definitely need Miller's Guide to Dissection of the Dog for anatomy, and I also recommend Done's colour atlas as well. I did the GEP course so can't comment on good books for the cellbio/embryology component. I bought a histology book, but I didn't use it as much as I expected to.

Congratulations on your acceptances!
Thank you Tarnia :smile: this is really helpful and has definitely helped me understand more about each location it was all very confusing as I've only been to Edinburgh on hol about three times :s can't wait to start buying stuff I'm way too excited :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 38
You're welcome! :smile: I can sympathize, when I moved here from Canada I had never been to the UK and was using google and google maps to figure stuff out! :tongue:

You also should be assigned a current student as a mentor, that you can email questions to too. I'm a final year this year, so this is the first year I am not one (I hopefully won't be at the uni next year, so wouldn't be able to continue mentoring). So it won't be me :tongue:, but it should be someone. :smile:
Reply 39
Just firmed and applied for accomodation! I went for Medow court, Hermits croft and New arthur place in the end :biggrin:

Really excited now, cant wait to start!

Just wondering about books and such, is the dyce 2010 the newest edition? I think its fourth :s-smilie: My parents want to buy me it for my birthday and thats the only one I could find. Probably bring out a new one after I order it haha

Also is it cheaper to buy boiler suites ect from the uni or shop around now? Was going to ask the vets I go to if I could order some stuff from them potentially

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending