The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh my god its been years since I used RISC, however it was so fast for its generation.
Reply 21
RISC was a really stable platform. I heard that IBM were doing somthing with it, but that was about a year a go...
Reply 22
Baron
DXOS is the OS that is gonna rule the world

LOL, damn right it is! :biggrin: Just give it a couple of years and MS will be a forgotten entity!
Reply 23
Moog
RISC is the best OS!

RISC is a type of architecture, not an O/S. It stands for 'Reduced Instruction Set Computer'. However there were (and still are) O/Ss made for RISC platforms...
Reply 24
:biggrin: Never heard of RISC but I have heard of RSI. :tongue:
Reply 25
rahaydenuk
RISC is a type of architecture, not an O/S. It stands for 'Reduced Instruction Set Computer'. However there were (and still are) O/Ss made for RISC platforms...

I think he was refering to RISCos which ran on the Archemedies range of computers by Acorn.
Reply 26
Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that Linux is the only way. To be honest, I fail to understand why people run Windows. What is the excuse? Why do people condemn themselves?
Reply 27
I am on a very Macromedia/Adobe/Microsoft specific course, you simply cannot buy the software for linux that you can for windows or mac.

If Windows is stable which it is and takes 20 seconds to bootup from cold I don't see how anybody can moan about it. Ok it takes up a lot of hard drive space but I have an 80gb drive.
Reply 28
piginapoke
Linux doesn't always work with my odd hardware

Be hardcore and write your own drivers :wink:
piginapoke
and I often program for Windows as the market is big.

I would agree with this. But it's a shame that this seems to be the 'communal attitude'. Everyone is thinking 'Well, windows is kinda good enough, so why bother changing', this keeps the market share big. Ignorance is bliss.
Reply 29
amazingtrade
I am on a very Macromedia/Adobe/Microsoft specific course, you simply cannot buy the software for linux that you can for windows or mac.

Urg. What a horrible course.
Reply 30
piginapoke
It doesn't really, there's a load of complete crap you can safely delete. If you're careful, I think you can get it down to about 300Mb.

*THINKS* Heh, a load of complete crap... My windows installation would be hacked to 0mb :biggrin: (Sorry had to slide that "joke" in).
Reply 31
capslock
Urg. What a horrible course.

But in the job market everything is produced on this stuff. Photoshop is the leading photo editing back, Adobe Premiere is the leading movie editing package, Macromedia Flash/Director's are the leading animation packages etc. We do a bit of none microsoft stuff such as PHP/c++ and Java but it is mainly stuff used in industry.
Reply 32
Leekey
Lies!!! Linux and OSX will rule the world soon enough, then we can destroy the glorified spy-ware that is XP!!! :biggrin:

OSX is based upon BSD, a unix clone which you can get for PCs in the form of FreeBSD. You can also download the core of OSX (darwin i think) from some place on the net, skin it and voilaa fast version of unix/macos(ish)

FreeBSD is the way to go!
Reply 33
Anyone remember good old workbench?? Yes in my earlier post I was referring to RISCos
Reply 34
capslock
Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that Linux is the only way. To be honest, I fail to understand why people run Windows. What is the excuse? Why do people condemn themselves?

I had a linux/XP dual boot for quite while, best of both worlds

has anyone tried vmware?
Reply 35
People Please! :mad:

Microsoft have never created anything worth a clap or even a yawn in the past 20 years and will never, even the darn xBox crashes when given the chance, i suprised that doesn't have a system restore and error report system.

Why spend millions of dollors creating a error reporter when they could just employ programmers who have a clue.

I think it's a disgrace that any of you think that Windows XP (Xtremly Pants) is good!

I run it at the moment and am disgusted with it's preformance, i shall me migrating as soon as possible.

Regards.

Tosh
If your computer's slow it's probably due to ad/spy ware (from Kazza, Imesh, etc). Download Ad Aware 6 from download.com, which will get rid of all the useless ad and spyware. And, it's free.YAYY!
Reply 37
ToshTrent
People Please! :mad:

Microsoft have never created anything worth a clap or even a yawn in the past 20 years and will never, even the darn xBox crashes when given the chance, i suprised that doesn't have a system restore and error report system.

Why spend millions of dollors creating a error reporter when they could just employ programmers who have a clue.

I think it's a disgrace that any of you think that Windows XP (Xtremly Pants) is good!

I run it at the moment and am disgusted with it's preformance, i shall me migrating as soon as possible.

Regards.

Tosh

Think of all the people who are just starting to use pcs, you can't start them on linux. Windows is the only OS that really caters for the less experienced computer user.

XP is a really good tool, it never crashes on my machine.

Just curious - what OS are you switching to?
Reply 38
Baron
Think of all the people who are just starting to use pcs, you can't start them on linux. Windows is the only OS that really caters for the less experienced computer user.

XP is a really good tool, it never crashes on my machine.

Just curious - what OS are you switching to?

I dunno, I guess you could teach people to use something like Mandrake or Red Hat/Fedora pretty easily. Definetly not with Slackware, cos it's more hardcore.
Reply 39
Nylex
I dunno, I guess you could teach people to use something like Mandrake or Red Hat/Fedora pretty easily. Definetly not with Slackware, cos it's more hardcore.

even mandrake is loads harder to use then windows - i mean look at installing programs, with windows its just point and click.

Latest

Trending

Trending