The Student Room Group

Veterinary Nurses!

Hi guys, I'm applying for Veterinary Nursing and I sent my UCAS off on December 7th.
I've applied to Harper Adams, Bristol, Hartpury (UWE), RVC and Warwickshire college.

All have acknowledged except RVC. However, I've had no offers yet! ):

Have you guys had any offers yet?

xo

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi :smile:

When I'm older I'd really like to be a veterinary nurse.. I don't meet the requirements to do BSc Veterinary Nursing as I didn't get a B in Science at GCSE (I had C's) - I'm currently doing Biology AS though and am hoping to achieve a B in that as during my GCSE's I did not revise at all, which I have now realised was rather stupid of me.

My question is if I do the FdSc would I still be able to do the same sort of things that a BSc graduate would be able to do? (but obviously at a lower level?) I don't like the idea of doing a foundation course as I never have before, but if I could do the same sort of things that I would if I did BSc that's ok.

Could someone also explain the difference in the roles that a BSc graduate and a FdSc graduate would get? thank you :smile:
Heyyy! You're the first person i've found who's applying for vet nursing :smile: I've applied to bristol, rvc (for two), middlesex and nottingham trent. Haven't had any offers for interviews yet, have you? What are your predicted grades? :smile:
Reply 3
Hey! I've applied for Vet Nursing too! At Bristol, Hartpury, Warwickshire, Middlesex and Nottingham Trent! All have acknowledged except from Nottingham Trent!
Had any offers? :smile: x
Nothing yet :frown: What about yourself? I really just want to hear something from bristol ahhh! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an interview for bristol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought I'd start a big thread for all those Vet Nurses and hopefuls so we have somewhere just for us seeing as there's lots for VetMed etc :smile: Any takers??
Original post by finally-somesense
I thought I'd start a big thread for all those Vet Nurses and hopefuls so we have somewhere just for us seeing as there's lots for VetMed etc :smile: Any takers??

Hey :smile: I'm a prospective vet nurse, fingers crossed! How is your application/interviews etc going? :smile:
Yay someone else!! I'm updating my work experience at the moment, I did have a load but it's all from about 8 years ago now so getting some present time stuff then going to look for an apprenticeship way in to it! How about you?
Will pin this to stop it going off the page as there aren't too many vet nurses yet. Would be good if this could turn into a good resource :smile:
Yay someone else!! I'm updating my work experience at the moment, I did have a load but it's all from about 8 years ago now so getting some present time stuff then going to look for an apprenticeship way in to it! How about you?

Ahh right, best of luck :smile: I'm going into it through uni, had one interview already, got two more in january! I never really looked into the apprenticeship way to be honest, how does that work? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skatealexia
Will pin this to stop it going off the page as there aren't too many vet nurses yet. Would be good if this could turn into a good resource :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by loveireandsong
Ahh right, best of luck :smile: I'm going into it through uni, had one interview already, got two more in january! I never really looked into the apprenticeship way to be honest, how does that work? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Essentially I think I get a job as a student nurse at a training practice and they pay for me to do the training on day release!
Reply 13
Sorry to intrude on the thread. :colondollar:

I was hoping to find information on veterinary nursing courses at universities, such as is it a hard course?

Is anyone able to complete this course?

Whom would you recommend it too?

Whom is suitable for the course?

Are science qualifications highly required?

PLEASE HELP !!! :frown:
Reply 14
Essentially I think I get a job as a student nurse at a training practice and they pay for me to do the training on day release!

Original post by LadyBug29

...??
Reply 16
Is anyone studying a foundation degree in Vet Nursing without having an A Level in Biology? I've put in the couple of ones that don't require it, but I'd quite like to apply to RVC who want a D, has anyone got in without it?
Reply 17
What is the usual requirements for a student to go into vet-med? Does one need almost the same requirements as if applying to medicine or is the procedure a bit different. I am aware that getting into a medical program requires a UKCAT test.
Original post by Achandi
What is the usual requirements for a student to go into vet-med? Does one need almost the same requirements as if applying to medicine or is the procedure a bit different. I am aware that getting into a medical program requires a UKCAT test.

This is a thread for Vet Nursing :smile: You'll probably get better information and support from one of the Vet Med threads :smile:
Original post by LadyBug29
Sorry to intrude on the thread. :colondollar:

I was hoping to find information on veterinary nursing courses at universities, such as is it a hard course?

Is anyone able to complete this course?

Whom would you recommend it too?

Whom is suitable for the course?

Are science qualifications highly required?

PLEASE HELP !!! :frown:

Hi :smile: I'm currently at Middlesex University studying BSc Veterinary Nursing in my first year. Other universities which offer this course are obviously RCVS, Harper Adams, Bristol, Napier and many other. Have a look on the UCAS website course finder if you want to view more.

So far, the course is fine. It is challenging at times because obviously it's only the first year, so you have to get used to the basics before you can start doing any more complicated procedures. As they say, practise makes perfect.

Anyone can complete this course as long as you meet the requirements for the course.

Well, I'd recommend it to anyone that wanted to become a Veterinary Nurse, although the degree route is not for everyone. You can just as easily either train at a training practise as a student vet nurse or take the NVQ route but I'm not familiar with that.

Science qualifications are recommended because you'll have to do a bit of biology as a starting point; in order for you to care for an injured animal, you've gotta know what's wrong, how to fix it, what effects certain medications will have on the body and why but you can get in with a BTEC in Animal Welfare/Care Management.

Hope this helps! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending