The Student Room Group

forensic science/veterinary career path

Currently I'm thinking about career paths, and my top one is forensic science.

Obviously science is a big part of it, which is not a particularly strong subject for me(especially chemistry), so I am unsure about going into this field, even though it really is an interest/passion of mine.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can still get into the field whilst not being great at chemistry.

Also, I'm choosing my a levels this year and was wondering if Psychology, Biology and Spanish would be good.

Also, I am thinking about going down the detective route but i don't know if I'm ready for that commitment. Jobs that have caught my eye in the forensics industry specifically are forensic science technician, crime scene investigator and forensic nurse.

Another field that has piqued my interest is veterinary medicine, but once again biology and chemistry are required at a level so I'm not sure I could do it.

If anyone has been in my situation or just has any advice, any tips are appreciated.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by rorygilmores
I'm 15 years old and am pretty interested in getting a job in forensics.

Obviously science is a big part of it, which is not a particularly strong subject for me(especially chemistry), so I am unsure about going into this field, even though it really is an interest/passion of mine.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can still get into the field whilst not being great at chemistry.

Also, I'm choosing my a levels this year and was wondering if Psychology, Biology and Spanish would be good.

Also, I am thinking about going down the detective route but i don't know if I'm ready for that commitment. Jobs that have caught my eye in this forensics industry specifically are forensic science technician, crime scene investigator and forensic nurse.

Another field that has piqued my interest is veterinary medicine, but once again biology and chemistry are required at a level so I'm not sure I could do it.

If anyone has been in my situation or just has any advice, any tips are appreciated.

You would have to consider diffident parts to this. It seems that you are more passionate about forensic science so that would be something to consider.
For forensic science course at university, the highest minimum grade requirements seem to be ABB with only a few asking for specific subjects which seems to be biology OR chemistry not both so you would only need biology as chemistry isn’t required so there wouldn’t be a great need to worry about being fantastic at chemistry. To be a forensic nurse you need to do a nursing course, which will require biology and usually have the grade requirements of BBB you will need to also work as a registered nurse for about 3 years before being able to have the best chance of being a forensic nurse so that may be something to think about.
As for veterinary medicine, the lowest grade requirement you’ll find is AAB but most courses require two science subjects both at an A grade and many universities don’t see psychology as a science subject for veterinary medicine. So you would need an A in biology then an A in either chemistry, maths, physics or further maths. Some course only allow Chemistry and Biology.
You need to weigh up your strengths as well as attend open day talks to find out your options, this tends to be in year 12 though, so before forming your decisions you should do some research and think about what you’re truly interested in.
Good luck, it’s a very difficult process.
Reply 2
Original post by Feeb_05
You would have to consider diffident parts to this. It seems that you are more passionate about forensic science so that would be something to consider.
For forensic science course at university, the highest minimum grade requirements seem to be ABB with only a few asking for specific subjects which seems to be biology OR chemistry not both so you would only need biology as chemistry isn’t required so there wouldn’t be a great need to worry about being fantastic at chemistry. To be a forensic nurse you need to do a nursing course, which will require biology and usually have the grade requirements of BBB you will need to also work as a registered nurse for about 3 years before being able to have the best chance of being a forensic nurse so that may be something to think about.
As for veterinary medicine, the lowest grade requirement you’ll find is AAB but most courses require two science subjects both at an A grade and many universities don’t see psychology as a science subject for veterinary medicine. So you would need an A in biology then an A in either chemistry, maths, physics or further maths. Some course only allow Chemistry and Biology.
You need to weigh up your strengths as well as attend open day talks to find out your options, this tends to be in year 12 though, so before forming your decisions you should do some research and think about what you’re truly interested in.
Good luck, it’s a very difficult process.

This gave me some perspective, thank you
Reply 3
Original post by rorygilmores
This gave me some perspective, thank you

No worries. Good luck with everything, either career would be super interesting whichever you choose. Or even if you go for something completely different haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending