The Student Room Group

Veterinary Nurses!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by DanaRose
I am 17 years old and I am currently studying on a Extended Diploma in Animal Management. My aim in life is to become a Veterinary nurse and I know that the best way is to get there is to do the diploma or the degree. I have just finished my first year of my current diploma and I thought back and forth about what route to take next year, between the science route or Wildlife and conservation. I had been set on doing the diploma as I can do it at a close college and I didn't want to be away from my boyfriend dotted around the country for all those years for the sake of being the same vet nurse at the end by doing either, so I picked wildlife and conservation route. This was because I know what I would learn on the diploma would be what I would learn in the science route and I didn't want to learn it twice, also the modules on the wildlife and conservation route appealed to me more at this moment in time. However, now I am really not sure which would be the better option, doing the degree gets me away from home and away from my mother (we don't get on) but then I would be away from my boyfriend (who is my rock and best friend) and I can then say I have a degree :biggrin: but if I go for the diploma I stay at home and have to take the risk of trying to find a placement in practice, I am so conflicted between my head and heart and I really need some opinion.......plus any recommendations on places to do diploma and degree course would be much appreciated :biggrin:

Sparsholt College :smile: xxx
Reply 181
Original post by Rach_Mal
Hi

When I typed Sparsholt into the search bar this thread came up.

Is anyone starting there this month?

Same, and I am!!! :smile: xxx
Reply 182
I was a nurse at a busy mixed vet practice for 11.5years..I left in oct 1999 and trained and qualified as a paramedic (120 credits...equivalent to uni diloma)...after 12years I want to go back to vet nursing and hope to get a degree....but...since the practice that I gained all my experience was not RCVS accredited I did not gain a recognised vet nurse qualification...& I have regretted this ever since!
I have maintained a high level of veterinary and medical practical theory and practical skills since I left practice and have just qualified as a pet bereavement counsellor and attained a diploma in veterinary support assistant level 3.
I am now in a position to fund my studies myself.I have applied to Aberdeen college to study for the City and Guilds Veterinary Nursing Diploma Level 3...and am awaiting a reply.
I am trying desperately to find an RCVS accredited practice that needs a trainee nurse in the Aberdeen/shire/moray area but obviously since its the start of a new uni year most practices have taken on their quota of trainees and do not require my services!:frown:
Hi!
I'm applying to Foundation Veterinary nursing, I was just wondering as to whether the deadline for vet nursing fits in 15. Oct. deadline or not, it'd be great if its not as I'm really struggling with personal statement and work exp.
thanks guys :smile:
Reply 184
Original post by shancrowey
Hi!
I'm applying to Foundation Veterinary nursing, I was just wondering as to whether the deadline for vet nursing fits in 15. Oct. deadline or not, it'd be great if its not as I'm really struggling with personal statement and work exp.
thanks guys :smile:

I've heard it's only people who want to do veterinary medicine/ science (like bio-veterinary) have to hand in early applications!
(so luckily we get a little longer to work on our personal statements!) :P
hi
I have applied to university to study BSc veterinary nursing and have been offered an interview at Warwickshire college and Edinburgh Napier. Any advice on how to prepare for them ?
Reply 186
When's your interview at warwickshire?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A plea from a University Admissions tutor :

Today we rejected 41 (yes, FORTY ONE) applications for Vet Nursing who had applied with a BTEC but without the Science A level or GCSE grades clearly stated as essential in the Admissions Requirements.

It doesn't matter how well you do in your BTEC, or what staggering wonderful work experience you might have - if you don't meet the basic academic requirements we will automatically reject you.

41 people have wasted a choice - simply because they didn't read the instructions.
Original post by pixy19
Do you know if there are any groups set up specifically for this course at Bristol?

Start a thread?
Reply 189
Original post by beccah07
hi
I have applied to university to study BSc veterinary nursing and have been offered an interview at Warwickshire college and Edinburgh Napier. Any advice on how to prepare for them ?

When's your interview for warwickshire

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've created a facebook group for all 2015 vet nursing applicants, here's the link - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1651366615091012/
Apologies for the random cover photo, it would only upload one of my own photos, so a guinea pig photo seemed fairly relevant :smile:
Reply 191
Hi Everyone I have an interview for RVC for Veterinary Nursing FdSc. I was just wondering could anybody give me any tips on what to wear and what sort of question I may be asked. Thanks :smile:
Hi, I had an interview for Vet Nursing at RVC last Thursday and they specifically asked us not to tell other applicants anything about the day as it gives an unfair advantage. But I can say that everyone dressed rather smartly, I wore black jeans and a nice shirt. Sorry I can't be of more help :smile:
Do you think Universities would accept BTEC Health Science for Veterinary Nursing?
Original post by Kerrbear96
Do you think Universities would accept BTEC Health Science for Veterinary Nursing?

If you check the admissions requirements for Vet Nursing each Uni they will give guidance on what is acceptable - both the subject and the required BTEC grades. Some BTECs dont have enough Biology/Chemistry content so check carefully.

Just be aware that there will also be additional entry requirements like specific GCSE grades/subjects and some Unis (Bristol) will only accept BTEC along with an additional A level Chemistry.

If you are able to do A levels this is usually a better choice than BTEC if you are aiming at Uni. BTECs are good practical vocational courses (this is what they were designed for), but they are not academic courses. A levels are therefore a better preparation for University level study.
I am currently in my 2nd year of the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management and received an offer from RVC yesterday. So uni's definitely consider BTEC students but most look for animal management or applied science.
Reply 196
Original post by Emma_Jayne95
I am currently in my 2nd year of the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management and received an offer from RVC yesterday. So uni's definitely consider BTEC students but most look for animal management or applied science.

Congrats on your RVC offer! :smile: I got an offer on Friday too! Can't actually believe it! Haha :tongue: will it be your first choice? :smile:
Congrats to you too! :smile: I think it will be, what about you?
Reply 198
Original post by Emma_Jayne95
Congrats to you too! :smile: I think it will be, what about you?

Thank you :smile: I honestly don't know! It's a toss up between Harper and RVC at the moment!
Just firmed my offer from Bristol for Veterinary Nursing and Bioveterinary science!! I'm so excited to start!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending