The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B (Salters) Thursday 10th January Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Richyp22
Nope, you'll get nothing for saying active site thats biology tbh. Marks will be for - So you'll get 1 maybe 2/2

-Poisen coats catalysts surface
- Preventing reactants from adsorbing onto catalysts surface
- Therefore catalyst cant get involved in the reaction

Just a little note: Active site and pH and all that good stuff comes in F334 :wink:
Original post by TLittler
i just put s02 is a giant covalent structure therefore the 0 would be bonded to 2 silicons

Also no C-O double bonds.
hey I have the paper you guys did today for mock tomorrow. If you don't mind can you please tell me on what to revise on. Thank you so much :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 203
a very clever paper! - it was the type of paper to which everyone thinks they all have done well!
Reply 204
Original post by Maat
a very clever paper! - it was the type of paper to which everyone thinks they all have done well!

Aw, don't say that.

I reckon I only scraped a C...
Reply 205
Original post by Maat

which paper??
Reply 206
I put for the silicon dioxide that there is an extra shell of electrons...I honestly had no idea left it until the end and with 5 mins to go just wrote that :/

What did people get for the empiracal formula question?h
Reply 207
Just googled it and SiO2 is a giant covalent structure so each silicon would be bonded to two oxygen which each would be bonded to another silicon which would be bonded to another oxygen and so on :frown: damnnnnnn
Reply 208
Yeah I know I just didn't think giant covalent for any reason :frown: dropped that mark definitely

Yes unofficial paper would be good. I tend to only remember the topics...I know there was:
Cracking
Reforming
Beta Decay
Mendeleev
Bond Angles
Bonding
Alternative Fuels
Octane Number
Bond making/breaking
Empirical formula
Energy from a fuel

That's about it I can remember and in completely the wrong order
First question was about reforming.
Q1) Explain octane number and why high octane number is desirable.
What is the product of reforming?
Explain the terms heterogeneous and catalyst.
Describe and explain how a catalyst poison works.
Bond making and bond breaking. Why are the reactions endothermic?
Reply 210
Original post by Alivere
Yeah I know I just didn't think giant covalent for any reason :frown: dropped that mark definitely

Yes unofficial paper would be good. I tend to only remember the topics...I know there was:
Cracking
Reforming
Beta Decay
Mendeleev
Bond Angles
Bonding
Alternative Fuels
Octane Number
Bond making/breaking
Empirical formula
Energy from a fuel

That's about it I can remember and in completely the wrong order

~There was also a question about how the periodic table shows the atomic structure or something like that
Original post by science19
hey I have the paper you guys did today for mock tomorrow. If you don't mind can you please tell me on what to revise on. Thank you so much :smile:

What use is that? You're only cheating yourself.
Reply 212
Original post by Welbeck
~There was also a question about how the periodic table shows the atomic structure or something like that

Oh yeah! and there was some Beta decay writing equations and there was the balancing of Ge2O3
Reply 213
Unofficial mark scheme anyone?
Reply 214
hey guys quick question ... might sound stupid.... but for the question on type of hydrocarbon produced by the reforming process ... i put arenes ... i didnt know which one to put cycloaklane or arenes .... but i chose arenes at the end ....... do you think it is correct?
Original post by nksunny
hey guys quick question ... might sound stupid.... but for the question on type of hydrocarbon produced by the reforming process ... i put arenes ... i didnt know which one to put cycloaklane or arenes .... but i chose arenes at the end ....... do you think it is correct?

In reforming only cycloalkanes and hydrogen are formed.. sorry :frown:
An unofficial mark scheme is not needed! It will just worry everyone more. Just wait till the 8th for results :smile: Hopefully I scraped a B. Because I counted 12 marks I was unsure/knew were wrong..
Reply 217
Original post by xOsugaplumfairy
In reforming only cycloalkanes and hydrogen are formed.. sorry :frown:

darn it ..... surely the cycloalkane is reformed further to arenes .... hmmm
Reply 218
No!not only cycoalkenes and hydrogens are formed arenes are formed two, read the book... they will probably both be right I put arene too
Reply 219
Original post by Alivere
I put for the silicon dioxide that there is an extra shell of electrons...I honestly had no idea left it until the end and with 5 mins to go just wrote that :/

What did people get for the empiracal formula question?h

CeO2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending