Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Chemistry B (Salters) Thursday 10th January Discussion Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasniaTVXQ)
    Active sites have been in F331 mark scheme before- pretty sure he will get the mark for it. All catalysts have active sites but yep your three points would be better lol

Okay legit grade boundaries for this paper? Doubt 48/50 will be an A but I do think they'll be high.
    It was 49 last June and the paper was harder ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameronLee)
    It was 49 last June and the paper was harder ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Omg I think writing 50 threw me off. 49/60 sounds fine o.o

ReputationRep:
    Omg I think writing 50 threw me off. 49/60 sounds fine o.o
    How did you find the test I think I dropped around 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    By far the nicest Chemistry for life exam I have ever seen, super happy. Maybe finally I can get my 90% +. What did everyone put for the comparison of the 'dot-cross' diagram for CO2 and SiO2?

ReputationRep:
    i wish GB are 48/60. they have gone as low as 46 but i ithink 48 should be good 4 this paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameronLee)
    How did you find the test I think I dropped around 8

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww don't worry! Even losing 8 gives you a comfortable A OCR B boundaries always stay roughly the same idk I know I dropped 2 or 3 but I guess you always lose marks elsewhere too! its done now so don't stress about it

ReputationRep:
    Active sites have been in F331 mark scheme before- pretty sure he will get the mark for it. All catalysts have active sites but yep your three points would be better lol

Okay legit grade boundaries for this paper? Doubt 48/50 will be an A but I do think they'll be high.
    Well I found that shockingly easy compared to the summer, But i tried really hard this time around. In summer it was 49 for an A.

So 49-51, Its out of 60 btw. Im geussing no lower, theres no way they'll drop it lower they only give A's to around 8-9% on people normally so as you can image they dont need low grade boudries to achive that

ReputationRep:
    Only one I didnt get was radioactive decay question even put my hand up to say there was a mistake in the paper. How does a Hydrogen Isotope decay to Helium isotope, this means a proton must be gained? I put beta decay as this was the only one it that could make any sort of sense, but it really confused me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TLittler)
    Only one I didnt get was radioactive decay question even put my hand up to say there was a mistake in the paper. How does a Hydrogen Isotope decay to Helium isotope, this means a proton must be gained? I put beta decay as this was the only one it that could make any sort of sense, but it really confused me
    Yes it was beta. Hydrogen 3 has a mass number of three and a atomic number of 1. So during beta decay, a neutron is converted to a proton which makes He isotope. That was hard cause it only mentions that in a small section of chemical ideas that I read time agoo and luckily remebered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)
    Yes it was beta. Hydrogen 3 has a mass number of three and a atomic number of 1. So during beta decay, a neutron is converted to a proton which makes He isotope. That was hard cause it only mentions that in a small section of chemical ideas that I read time agoo and luckily remebered.
    oh right, i only learned using the revision guide so obviously it wasnt in there! still think that was the only mark i dropped so will be ok

ReputationRep:
    are we allowed to discuss it? if so...what was up with the silicon dioxide question :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saberahmed786)
    are we allowed to discuss it? if so...what was up with the silicon dioxide question :s
    i just put s02 is a giant covalent structure therefore the 0 would be bonded to 2 silicons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)
    Nope, you'll get nothing for saying active site thats biology tbh. Marks will be for - So you'll get 1 maybe 2/2

-Poisen coats catalysts surface
    - Preventing reactants from adsorbing onto catalysts surface
    - Therefore catalyst cant get involved in the reaction
    Just a little note: Active site and pH and all that good stuff comes in F334

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TLittler)
    i just put s02 is a giant covalent structure therefore the 0 would be bonded to 2 silicons
    Also no C-O double bonds.

ReputationRep:
    hey I have the paper you guys did today for mock tomorrow. If you don't mind can you please tell me on what to revise on. Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    a very clever paper! - it was the type of paper to which everyone thinks they all have done well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maat)
    a very clever paper! - it was the type of paper to which everyone thinks they all have done well!
    Aw, don't say that.

I reckon I only scraped a C...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maat)
    which paper??

ReputationRep:
    What was the SiO2 question again? How do the dot and cross diagrams differ from CO2 to SiO2?

I wrote that there's no double bonds in SiO2 and that there's a dative covalent bond.

ReputationRep:
    I put for the silicon dioxide that there is an extra shell of electrons...I honestly had no idea left it until the end and with 5 mins to go just wrote that :/

What did people get for the empiracal formula question?h

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.