The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B (Salters) Thursday 10th January Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quiggle

The question gave us the energy density per mole, which was something like -5400 kJ mol^-1
We are asked to find out the kJ per kilogram.
We were given the Ar of the molecule, something like 112.

So I found the amount of moles per kilogram .... 1000 / 112. Multiplied the moles by the value above (5400).
Obviously these are rough estimates of what was given, I can't remember the exact values.
But I would have got a value of about 47321, but below <47500.
Then it asked for 2 sig fig. in the answer.
The answer isn't a negative value as itis energy per kilogram and not an enthalpy change.

Yes - that's the question. I did exactly the same method but for the answer I first put down 47321 then remembered to round for significant figures. And when rounding I did it to 3 significant figures instead of 2 for the answer 47300. Can't believe I didn't read that in the question :angry:
Original post by smileitsfree
73319_502467783131547_782153404_n.jpg

3 reps for next page :d

Please please please! I'm stressing so much :frown: Don't think I got the A I needed :frown: x I've repped x
Original post by SarahLeanne
Please please please! I'm stressing so much :frown: Don't think I got the A I needed :frown: x I've repped x

one more rep guys ...
Reply 243
PLEASE put on the question about bond angles!!!
I really dont see, how the bond angles question for bond angle B was 109, Bond angle A had 120, it had 3 areas of density, but again the bond angle B also had the same and even less electrons.
Can somebody please explain where i went wrong?
as promised

226618_502467763131549_1090207956_n.jpg

2 reps for next post
Reply 246
i see my mistake... DAMN
23745_502467659798226_1244435401_n.jpg

you know the deal.. 2 reps
Original post by Maat
i see my mistake... DAMN

I still dont see where i went wrong?
Original post by NielsBohrsDad
I really dont see, how the bond angles question for bond angle B was 109, Bond angle A had 120, it had 3 areas of density, but again the bond angle B also had the same and even less electrons.
Can somebody please explain where i went wrong?

Thats what I put aswell :frown: Gutted incase I got it wrong as that was a 4 marker :frown::frown::frown:
Let's pray we are right! Haha
x
Reply 250
Original post by Quiggle
I have a feeling your answer may not be true, the first question we worked out the energy transferred to water, they gave us the volume of water ... I think they had us assume that 200cm^3 of water is equal to 200grams.

Yes, definitely 2 significant figures and not decimal places.. I had to read it over 3 times just to make sure I wasn't being stupid

The question gave us the energy density per mole, which was something like -5400 kJ mol^-1
We are asked to find out the kJ per kilogram.
We were given the Ar of the molecule, something like 112.

So I found the amount of moles per kilogram .... 1000 / 112. Multiplied the moles by the value above (5400).
Obviously these are rough estimates of what was given, I can't remember the exact values.
But I would have got a value of about 47321, but below <47500.
Then it asked for 2 sig fig. in the answer.
The answer isn't a negative value as itis energy per kilogram and not an enthalpy change.

I did it all right and got 47,000, but I put negative D: How many marks will I lose?
Did anyone get 20900J for the energy transferred?
It came up on a previous paper, i dont think you lose any marks from what i can remember, i stupidly put my answer in standard form, would i still get full marks or 2 out of 3? -4.7x104
Original post by NielsBohrsDad
I still dont see where i went wrong?

Were we meant to take into account hydrogens as bonds? Like bond angle a only has three bonds so were we meant to assume there was hydrogen on there aswell? Because skeletal doesn't show hydrogen bonds does it? Arghh! Majorly confused haha :s-smilie: x
Yes certainly did :-)
Original post by fattail95
I did it all right and got 47,000, but I put negative D: How many marks will I lose?

nope you lose non, on a previous paper it says ignore (-) sign. On a very similar question
Original post by ThePanoramicGame
It came up on a previous paper, i dont think you lose any marks from what i can remember, i stupidly put my answer in standard form, would i still get full marks or 2 out of 3? -4.7x104

2 as you'll lose the signifant figures mark.
Original post by Richyp22
nope you lose non, on a previous paper it says ignore (-) sign. On a very similar question

For some reason i put my answer to that in standard form as soon as i 2 sf although 47000 is it, would i lose marks for having 4.7x104
Original post by Richyp22
2 as you'll lose the signifant figures mark.

ah thanks hope i get atleast 2 out of 3 from that
Original post by SarahLeanne
Were we meant to take into account hydrogens as bonds? Like bond angle a only has three bonds so were we meant to assume there was hydrogen on there aswell? Because skeletal doesn't show hydrogen bonds does it? Arghh! Majorly confused haha :s-smilie: x

It's skeletal so would not show the hydrogen. I think it should be 109 because the four areas of electron density repel one another... Ect sure you will do fine :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending