The Student Room Group

Some M1 Doubts?

When we are working out the magnitudes, in vector questions, and we are square rooting etc... do we need to show if there was a MINUS.

You know these types of questions whereby an object would be help up by a force on a plane....and then suddenly that force is being removed...wouldn't that object actually move downwards if that happens... But in this question from Jan 2012, http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202012%20-%20QP/6677_01_que_20120307.pdf
question no 8 part c), when the force holding it up is removed fascinatingly the object is still continuing to move up ??????????// How come this is occurring ? Is it a different case for all these different questions because I have always thought that if we removed the force, then the object would guranteed move down??????????

The also for this question from that same paper,

Question No. 4 part b? I did get the answer that they were looking for in the mark scheme , but then I spent quite a lot of time thinking that they actuallly required the MAGNITUDE and hence I went into resolving vertically etc .... without any success. Because I was all the time thinking that they required a number as the answer without any unknown in it?????????/ How do u know when u can give the answer as an answer with unknown in it ,, becuase it doesnt tell in the question always? Panicking me all the time. What to do?

:smile:
Original post by laurawoods
When we are working out the magnitudes, in vector questions, and we are square rooting etc... do we need to show if there was a MINUS.

You know these types of questions whereby an object would be help up by a force on a plane....and then suddenly that force is being removed...wouldn't that object actually move downwards if that happens... But in this question from Jan 2012, http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202012%20-%20QP/6677_01_que_20120307.pdf
question no 8 part c), when the force holding it up is removed fascinatingly the object is still continuing to move up ??????????// How come this is occurring ? Is it a different case for all these different questions because I have always thought that if we removed the force, then the object would guranteed move down??????????

The also for this question from that same paper,

Question No. 4 part b? I did get the answer that they were looking for in the mark scheme , but then I spent quite a lot of time thinking that they actuallly required the MAGNITUDE and hence I went into resolving vertically etc .... without any success. Because I was all the time thinking that they required a number as the answer without any unknown in it?????????/ How do u know when u can give the answer as an answer with unknown in it ,, becuase it doesnt tell in the question always? Panicking me all the time. What to do?

:smile:

Well, if you think of throwing a ball in the air, you only apply the force while it is in your hand. Once it leaves your hand you no longer apply a force, but you have given the ball momentum, so it continues up untill gravity pulls it back.

if they give no numbers and just letters than I'm pretty sure they'll just want it in terms of m and d.

hey, that's the M1 paper I messed up last year! I didn't see question 8c and lost all 5 marks :colondollar: retook it in june :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest