The Student Room Group

Unexpected predicted grades. Should I take a gap year

I need help with what to do now with uni applications. My schools academic advisor has been of no help.
I got predicted AAB with a B in Maths. I'm planning on studying Economics. Unfortunately, the uni I want to go to requires AAA with A in Maths. (QMUL Economics and Finance)
The school said that my predicted grades are low cause I did horrible in school exams and didn't attend for some.
I am going to resit Maths M1 this yr cause I got really low in that and it's bringing down my average. And I'm confident that I'll get better marks in Mech and will be able to achieve atleast an A in Maths.
And I need AAA or A*A*A* for the national scholarship(s) so I will be trying harder than I did previous yr.
Since I am planning on resitting, what should I do now? Should I apply for unis for 2024 cycle with predicted AAB? Or should I wait for 2025 cycle? I definitely think I'll get atleast A*A*A.
I'm even thinking of taking a gap yr just to gather some more funds just in case.
I mean, there's no harm in trying to apply this year but you'd probably fail. Queen Mary isn't super competitive but in recent years it has been trying (and succeeding) to raise its profile and reputation so I doubt they'd let you in, particularly considering the fact that they've recently begun raising the entry requirements for some subjects as well.

But since the deadline for applying for 2024 entry is January 2024 so, a long time away, I would try your school again and come to some sort of deal where if you show an improvement they'll bump up your predicted grades so you can apply then? Or it not, no biggie, gap years are not bad at all and you'll get unconditional offers which isba weight off your chest!
Reply 2
Since you are only 1 grade away from AAA, just work really hard for this year's exams. You can still get the AAA this yr and go to QMUL most people go at least one grade up in the real exams. This knee jerk reaction & racing towards a resit is not necessary. Even if you don't get AAA and achieve AAB or ABB those are still excellent grades that will get you into other very good universities. What do you think going to QMUL will give you that e.g Southampton, Sheffield or Lancaster won't?
Reply 3
Original post by Scotland Yard
I mean, there's no harm in trying to apply this year but you'd probably fail. Queen Mary isn't super competitive but in recent years it has been trying (and succeeding) to raise its profile and reputation so I doubt they'd let you in, particularly considering the fact that they've recently begun raising the entry requirements for some subjects as well.

But since the deadline for applying for 2024 entry is January 2024 so, a long time away, I would try your school again and come to some sort of deal where if you show an improvement they'll bump up your predicted grades so you can apply then? Or it not, no biggie, gap years are not bad at all and you'll get unconditional offers which isba weight off your chest!

It's a bummer. QMUL has definitely been raisin their entry reqs, so I probably won't apply for QMUL cause its likely to end up as a waste of an application. Though I will continue with applying for this cycle.
Thank you for the reply!
(Original post by nova-corvus)It's a bummer. QMUL has definitely been raisin their entry reqs, so I probably won't apply for QMUL cause its likely to end up as a waste of an application. Though I will continue with applying for this cycle.
Thank you for the reply!

Why are these unexpected predicted grades. You did badly in your exams and didnt turn up for some. Surely these are higher than they should be in your position
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Why are these unexpected predicted grades. You did badly in your exams and didnt turn up for some. Surely these are higher than they should be in your position

Fair. But I was under the impression that my predicted grades would be taken from AS results and mocks, for which I had an average of A for Maths. But they told me today that they decided to include Semester 2 marks as well (I didn't attend 2 maths papers and one mech paper which I did horrible on - all worth 50% of my grade that sem).
Hence the unexpected. But I didn't mention this in the OG post so I agree.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending