The Student Room Group

HUGE CRISIS ! need urgent and HONEST opinion pleasssee !

Urgent ! Basically im thiking of going into Finance or a maths related degree, so for A level maths is a definate ( i love it ) , so im left with picking 3 more subjects from chemistry, geography , economics or French,
Chemistry cos you always need a science A level nd unis like it so i thought chemistry cos its the middle science although i dnt quite like science but im prepare to work hard for it at a level. Geography cos im predicted A* in gcse im not too keen on it but im lucky to be good at it , also makes u a well rounded person so yh , economics cos i thought maybe beneficial since im going into finance never done it b4 so dno wat to expect but heard the teacher that teaches it is REALLY good. French cos ive been advice by my head of year that it seperates me from every1 else doin finance and its rewarding, bearing in mind im absolutely RUBBISH in listening nd Reading but great at speaking and writing since its memorising which im gd with.
This is my problem and soz for the essay but need the ADVISE asap! Anyone help and comment. CHEERS Xx
How about English?
Reply 2
Take French. One of my biggest regrets in life is not taking French Alevel. It just opens so many doors for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
So your dilemma is that you don't know what fourth subject to take and unsure about French?
Well, I would recommend English lit as its thought highly of by universities, especially Russell groups. It also fits surprisingly well with economics because it has lots of essays in it, so English lit teaches you how construct a concise and coherent argument which is crucial for economics essays (in my opinion). Hope I answered your question! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmmm, I wouldn't do the language to be quite honest. Germany will be the economic superpower in the EU block, so the logical language would be German. I'd do Chemistry, it has a lot of logical thinking and simple but interesting equations. Economics I know nothing about, sorry,
Just FYI - Maths is counted as a "science" a level.
Reply 6
French at A level is anything but just memorising, especially for writing. You do a little preparation for your speaking exam but you have to talk off the top of your head. Writing is completely unprepared and taken as a part of the exam (for AQA at least). By all means take it if you enjoy it, but don't go in to it thinking that you can just memorise things, because you can't. A level is so much more in depth and it's quite a big leap from GCSE. I'm not trying to put you off it but I know people who dropped it after AS because it was just too difficult to get the grades compared to GCSE.

My advice is do not take anything that you don't enjoy, even if you are good at it at GCSE. It's much harder to sit through lessons you don't enjoy and do well at them at A Level compared to GCSE.
Reply 7
If you want to do a maths related degree then taking further maths A level will help to make you stand out from other applicants.
Reply 8
You don't like the sciences? They are quite closely related to maths. Make sure you actually like maths if you are going to go into it, it can be really difficult for people who aren't naturally 'mathematically minded'.
Reply 9
Thank you all Thank you all , really appreciate it ,
2 more Question , What 4 A level out of da 5 ( maths , chem, economics,french , geography) for maths related degree or finance.
And second Q. Is maths nd chem a odd combo. Cos im thinking itll open lots of door. But dnt wna do more dan 1science (chem) so any opinions?

Quick Reply

Latest