The Student Room Group

Broke student - bank denying overdraft help

I am a final year law student, I wasn’t able to work over summer due to family commitments (had to become carer).
I tried applying for hsbc student account as the overdraft limit for final year students can go
Up to £3,000 . I don’t need £3,000 but I do have bills and there is a cost of living crisis. After ages of trying and the bank being super unhelpful I got a student account, I probably needed about 1.5 k to
Help with foods, bills , rent etc for next couple months however when I contacted them for the overdraft they said I had also filed a credit card application last week, my credit score has been ruined and it would take 3 months till I could get approved . I never applied for a credit card, I informed them that someone has been using my details to apply for a credit card as I did not apply for one and fraudently ruining my credit history . I have used hsbc since I was 11 ,I have never missed any bills or payments, apart from last summer I frequently work and have money in the account. I’m down to my last £50 and have no one to lean on. What can I do I’m so scared I’m on the verge of homelessness and the one time I rely on the bank they are making me wait so long. My credit history has been ruined, I can’t pay my bills or buy food .

Does anyone have any advice, I tried applying to NatWest but hsbc r the only bank I use for every transaction also I assume as someone has used my details my credit history will look bad to all banks .
Any advice appreciated
(edited 5 months ago)
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/a-z-of-fraud/application-fraud
This is a page to help with the credit card application. They also have a help webchat

Also consider using Citizens advice helpline
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by amber2106
I am a final year law student, I wasn’t able to work over summer due to family commitments (had to become carer).
I tried applying for hsbc student account as the overdraft limit for final year students can go
Up to £3,000 . I don’t need £3,000 but I do have bills and there is a cost of living crisis. After ages of trying and the bank being super unhelpful I got a student account, I probably needed about 1.5 k to
Help with foods, bills , rent etc for next couple months however when I contacted them for the overdraft they said I had also filed a credit card application last week, my credit score has been ruined and it would take 3 months till I could get approved . I never applied for a credit card, I informed them that someone has been using my details to apply for a credit card as I did not apply for one and fraudently ruining my credit history . I have used hsbc since I was 11 ,I have never missed any bills or payments, apart from last summer I frequently work and have money in the account. I’m down to my last £50 and have no one to lean on. What can I do I’m so scared I’m on the verge of homelessness and the one time I rely on the bank they are making me wait so long. My credit history has been ruined, I can’t pay my bills or buy food .

Does anyone have any advice, I tried applying to NatWest but hsbc r the only bank I use for every transaction also I assume as someone has used my details my credit history will look bad to all banks .
Any advice appreciated

Regarding your financial position, check to see if your university has a student hardship fund, and how you would go about applying to it.

Regarding the credit card application you didn't make: you need to urgently get a copy of your "statutory credit report" from each of the three main credit reference agencies (CRAs) -- Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. There is no charge for this. This should identify which lender has processed the application for a credit card, which will allow you to take steps to deal with this. You should carefully check for anything else unexpected on your records. You need to do this for all three CRAs as they won't necessarily hold the same data.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending