The Student Room Group

GCSE Music Edexcel - 24th May 2013 (Official Thread)

Scroll to see replies

safe mayou know on the grace page,what did u write for the question on the word love hope u do well
Reply 381
Original post by chelsearule
safe mayou know on the grace page,what did u write for the question on the word love hope u do well

Melismatic, set to falling notes

Posted from TSR Mobile
would i get marks for writing portamento,vibrato
Reply 383

Not sure - I think it was specifically about the word setting of love but there's often a lot of room for different answers in the mark scheme :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was specifically about the word 'love' so if you were certain that you heard portamento and vibrato then you should get the marks.
on the bernstein one , would i get a mark if i wrote for similarities that the both have the same acccompainmnt

Unfortunately, I don't think so. The question specifically asked for similarities of the melody line and not the accompaniment.
Original post by Meliss
Unfortunately, I don't think so. The question specifically asked for similarities of the melody line and not the accompaniment.
I put same tempo & same key, can see now its not really about melody but do you think same key would be enough for a mark?
Reply 387
Original post by rachel taylor
I put same tempo & same key, can see now its not really about melody but do you think same key would be enough for a mark?

I know lots of people who said that - pretty sure it would get the mark as it does, technically, apply to the melody :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am really worried...somebody answer/confirm these

1. For the handel: Was it okay if i put the texture as thick layered texture instead of saying homophonic or polyphonic?
2. In the bernstein: were the 2 differences: higher pitch and brass instrument accompanying the melody
3. In the reich what was the fading out electric guitar
4. For the buckley: was it false, false, true and false?
5. For the Koko piece: was it okay to put for the first box very fast tempo (tremolo) and walking pace for the next one
6. For the raga desh were the 2 similarities: both based on the rag scale and both had drone?
I reckon i got full marks for section B

Also i got 109/120 in my coursework....based on my answers above...is it likely i'll get A*??

plz reply thanks!!!
Reply 389
Original post by Meliss

b) Notation on drum ostinato (3 marks)
Copied out the three notes they had oh so kindly provided us with

I don't think this is right. I'm pretty sure the notes swapped round (the high became the low and the low became the high). This was a past question and I saw it wasn't the same.

Also, for the guitar techniques question I put flanging, distortion and Drop D tuning. Will I get any marks for that?
[QUOTE="HJT513;42819455"]
Original post by Meliss

Copied out the three notes they had oh so kindly provided us with

I don't think this is right. I'm pretty sure the notes swapped round (the high became the low and the low became the high). This was a past question and I saw it wasn't the same.

Also, for the guitar techniques question I put flanging, distortion and Drop D tuning. Will I get any marks for that?

Are you sure? :redface: Was it not just asking for the rhythm?
Flanging and distortion are guitar effects, not techniques. So I don't think those will be accepted :/ Drop D tuning should be though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 391
[QUOTE="Meliss;42820754"]
Original post by HJT513

Are you sure? :redface: Was it not just asking for the rhythm?

Yeah the notes did swap - in the question it said to fill in the rhythm and pitch of the drum ostinato...but it was only a couple of marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="oops...;42820821"]
Original post by Meliss

Yeah the notes did swap - in the question it said to fill in the rhythm and pitch of the drum ostinato...but it was only a couple of marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah well :biggrin:
Reply 393
Original post by Safwan Kabeer
I am really worried...somebody answer/confirm these

1. For the handel: Was it okay if i put the texture as thick layered texture instead of saying homophonic or polyphonic?
2. In the bernstein: were the 2 differences: higher pitch and brass instrument accompanying the melody
3. In the reich what was the fading out electric guitar
4. For the buckley: was it false, false, true and false?
5. For the Koko piece: was it okay to put for the first box very fast tempo (tremolo) and walking pace for the next one
6. For the raga desh were the 2 similarities: both based on the rag scale and both had drone?
I reckon i got full marks for section B

Also i got 109/120 in my coursework....based on my answers above...is it likely i'll get A*??

plz reply thanks!!!

1. Not sure, they tend to like musical terms rather then thick/thin
2. I put higher top pitch so hopefully that's right :smile: it was specifically about the melody though, so I don't know if you'd get the other point
3. I think you probably had to say bass guitar (were all the looped guitars acoustic or electric?)
4. This is just a test of my memory but I'm pretty sure I got false true true true
5. Walking pace should be fine (I think it was moderato) but for the first one they were probably looking for free tempo
6. I also put drone but were you specific about which rag scale they were based on? That might be a bit general although it is technically correct...

Hope this helps - it's just my view/memory so I might be completely wrong :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 394
Guys, let put this exam behind us now! We've discussed all we've can and have worked all we can. Hope everyone does well, good luck for the 22nd!!!
Reply 395
*sobs* I think I definitely got at most a B which hardly makes sense because I found that exam quite easy tbh, but I made so many fricking silly mistakes, jeez, I'm so fricking depressed. I seriously cannot get a B overall in this fricking GCSE. Fingers crossed that the grade boundaries won't be TOO high.
Original post by hedwig8
*sobs* I think I definitely got at most a B which hardly makes sense because I found that exam quite easy tbh, but I made so many fricking silly mistakes, jeez, I'm so fricking depressed. I seriously cannot get a B overall in this fricking GCSE. Fingers crossed that the grade boundaries won't be TOO high.

It's okay, even if your answer isn't here, it could still be right. :smile: This is just a compilation of everyone else's answers!
Reply 397
Original post by Meliss
It's okay, even if your answer isn't here, it could still be right. :smile: This is just a compilation of everyone else's answers!

how do u k

how the rhythm for koko was different
r u sure
you are getting e worried g
Reply 398
oops i can see you're intellingent so can you put up all your answers
please i am very worried
panicking
can't sleep
Reply 399
Original post by ASN0117
oops i can see you're intellingent so can you put up all your answers
please i am very worried
panicking
can't sleep

Okay, these are my section A answers but there are probably LOADS of slips and alternative answers so please don't feel bad if yours are different...if you go back a few pages I know cannonball and someone else made an unofficial mark scheme :smile:

Oh and I personally hate finding out stuff that I've got wrong after (I know there's nothing I can do about it but I would rather not know) so if there are mistakes, of which I'm sure there will be many, PLAESE DON'T TELL ME

Section A

1) Handel- And The Glory of the Lord

a) Describe the texture at the beginning of the extract. (1 mark)
Contrapuntal (I know this one is wrong)

b) Was a notation for 'and all flesh shall see it together' (4 marks)
Copied what was written

c) Something about the part that sings that (1 mark)
Alto (I think - cant really remember this question)

d) Which part of the choir first sings 'for the mouth of the lord hath spoken it' (1 mark)

Tenor and bass

e) Describe how a joyful mood is portrayed in the music. (2 marks)

Major key
Dance-like 3/4 metre

2) Chopin- Raindrop Prelude

a) Describe the dynamics in the extract. (3 marks)

p<f(>) I said slight dim. at the end

b) Some 4 box thing where you had to write down 2 points on the bass part (left hand) and 2 points on the treble part (right hand). (4 marks)

LH
Chords (as opposed to the broken chords of part A)
Crotchet melody

RH
G# quaver pedal
Plays in octaves from about halfway through

c) Which of the following musical techniques are used in the extract? (2 marks)

B- Legato

D- Sustain Pedal

3) Bernstein- Something's Coming

a) Compare the melody line of 'around the corner' and 'whistling down the river' (4 marks)

Similarities

1. Same time sig. (2/4)

2. Syllabic

Differences

1. 2nd reaches a higher top pitch

2. 2nd has cross rhythms

b) How is something about jazz portrayed in this piece?

1. Syncopation

2. Blue note

c) What type of song is this? (1 mark)

B- solo

4) Reich- Electric Counterpoint

a) Which style of music is this? (1 mark)
Minimalist

b) What is the name of the solo guitar melody line? (or something like that lol) (1 mark)

Resultant melody

c) Give 2 points on the texture in this extract. (2 marks)

1. Polyphonic

2. Thins when chords and bass fade then drop out, returning to the resultant melody with 4-part canon

d) Describe how the dynamics changed at the end of this extract. (1 mark)

<

e) Which part fades out?

Bass

f) Name two musical techniques commonly found in minimalist music. (2 marks)

5) Miles Davis- All Blues

a) Name the solo instrument or something (1 mark)

(muted) trumpet

b) Name the two sections heard in the extract (2 marks)

1. Head

2. Outro (coda)

c) Describe the second part of the extract (3 marks)

Mostly repeated Gs played by the trumpet
Lasts one chorus
Tremolo piano

d) Some table here asking you to fill in the instruments for the: (3 marks)

- accompanying riff (I think?) -
Alto and tenor sax

- playing a string rhythm riff thing whatever -
Double bass

- keeping the beat or something -
Drum kit (snare and ride cymbal)

6) Jeff Buckley- Grace

a) Which section of the song is played in this extract? (1 mark)

D- Pre-chorus and chorus

b) How is the word 'love' set to the music? (2 marks)

Melismatic, set to falling notes

c) Which of these are true and which are false to the phrase 'wait in the fire?' (4 marks)

1. First phrase is the same as 4th- F

2. First three notes of each phrase are the same- T

3. The word 'fire' has a slur- T

4. The second phrase is the longest out of all of them- T (silly mistake now I realise...)

d) What are three common guitar techniques? (3 marks)

1. Strumming

2. Plucking

3. Slides

7) Koko- Yiri

a) What is the texture and pulse (in table format) (4 marks)

-At the beginning of the extract -
Monophonic
Free tempo

-After the second balaphone joins in -
Heterophonic
Moderato tempo

The same except flipped the other way up

c) Give two musical reasons why you like or dislike this piece. (2 marks)

1. Contrast of timbre created by the final cowbell ting

2. Can't remember

8) Steve Gorn & Benjy Wertheimer- Rag Desh

>two extracts of different gats from this version of the Rag Desh

a) Name the instrument that plays the rhythm (1 mark)

Tabla

b) Name the instrument that plays the melody (1 mark)

Bansuri

c) Decribe two similarities between the two gat sections (2 marks)

1. Start with a tabla solo that introduces the tala

2. Tambura drone

d) Suggest two other common sections of a raga performance (2 marks)

1. Jhor

2. Jhalla

So yeah I've already realised a couple of mistakes but please don't say if there are any more - I've just posted this because I was asked to :smile:

ASN0117 - don't panic, most people have made quite a few mistakes so the grade boundaries should be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending