The Student Room Group

GCSE Music Edexcel - 24th May 2013 (Official Thread)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by popburrow
Miles Davis' chord structure is much more fancier than the traditional blues structure.
Traditional blues structure: C1, C1, C1, C1, CIV, CIV, C1, C1, CV, CIV, C1, C1
Miles Davis' structure goes: I7, I7, I7, I7, Im7, Im7, I7, I7, V7#9, VIb7#9 V7#9M, I7, I7

Now, it may seem confusing, but look here:
The 'C' stands for chords and the 'I' in the Miles Davis section stands for the chord number e.g. chord V means 5th chord

So, Davis uses the chords in G. This means the scale involves: G(I), A(II), B(III), C(IV), D(V), E(VI), F(VII) etc.

Now simply plug in the scale into his structure.
Davis' structure: I7, I7, I7, I7, Im7, Im7, I7, I7, V7#9 VIb7#9, V7#9, I7, I7
Plug it in: G7, G7, G7, G7, Gm7, Gm7, G7, G7, D7#9, Eb7#9, D7#9, G7, G7

Ta da! That's the chords MILES DAVIS uses.

CONFUSION: Chords that Moby uses
Moby follows an 8-bar structure rather than a 12-bar-blues structure

NOTE: Each chord lasts 2 bars IN THE VERSE that is why I have repeated the chords in the first chord set
The chords in the verse are: Am, Am, Em, Em, Gmj, Gmj, Dmj, Dmj
The chords in the chorus are: Cmj, Cmj, Am, Am, Cmj, Cmj, Am, Am
The chords in the chorus WITH LOOPS are: Fm, Fm, Cmj, Cmj, Fm, Fm, Cmj, Cmj
The vocal samples are in Am

How about chords in other set works :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 101
Original post by Meliss

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'VE GOT A QUESTION! What is a rhythmic cadence called in Rag Desh?
i'VE GOT A QUESTION! What is a rhythmic cadence called in Rag Desh?

Rhythmic cadence? What on earth haha
I don't know what you mean but a possible answer could be a tihai? A short section played three times that ends on the Sam (first note of the tal) :s?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
Original post by Meliss

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I don't think there are chords in every set work however, if you're referring to harmony, here it is (by the way, I'm doing this from the top of my head so, I may be wrong:smile:)

Handel
It's in A major however it modulates to E major twice and B major once

Mozart
Most of this piece is in G minor however, in the exposition section, the 2nd subject, the bridge passage/transition is in Bb major
The development section has F#m.
The final section, the recapitulation, goes through various keys such Eb major, D major and Fm and returns to Gm for the Coda
Reply 104
Original post by Meliss
Rhythmic cadence? What on earth haha
I don't know what you mean but a possible answer could be a tihai? A short section played three times that ends on the Sam (first note of the tal) :s?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, you're right!
Well, I don't think there are chords in every set work however, if you're referring to harmony, here it is (by the way, I'm doing this from the top of my head so, I may be wrong:smile:)

Handel
It's in A major however it modulates to E major twice and B major once

Mozart
Most of this piece is in G minor however, in the exposition section, the 2nd subject, the bridge passage/transition is in Bb major
The development section has F#m.
The final section, the recapitulation, goes through various keys such Eb major, D major and Fm and returns to Gm for the Coda

I see you've learnt your stuff! :smile:
I'm actually excited for this exam ahahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, you're right!

Oooh! That's awesome ^^

Let me give ya a Q that you're gonna A!

In Grace, which beats of the bar are meant by the term 'backbeat'? Which instrument accentuates these beats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
What does everyone think the 12 markers are going to be on? Hoping for Handel or Schoenberg for AoS1 :smile:
Original post by ABC05
What does everyone think the 12 markers are going to be on? Hoping for Handel or Schoenberg for AoS1 :smile:

You know what? I've always hated Peripetie but now I think it would be a great essay question to answer! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 109
Original post by Meliss
You know what? I've always hated Peripetie but now I think it would be a great essay question to answer! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know! It's so different from the others that I can think of points really easily, but I get pieces like Mozart and Chopin mixed up really easily because they're quite similar :s-smilie:
Original post by ABC05
I know! It's so different from the others that I can think of points really easily, but I get pieces like Mozart and Chopin mixed up really easily because they're quite similar :s-smilie:

I agree- if it's Handel omg
Original post by ABC05

Oh I love Chopin :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Ive got 57/60 and 49/60 for my two coursework sections. Im worried about my exam because I know next to nothng. can some explain my ums and what i need in the exam to get what? Also what should i revise to get enough for atleast a b. God i wish i never took music, im starting to wish i chose a language instead
Reply 113
Original post by jamietlb
Ive got 57/60 and 49/60 for my two coursework sections. Im worried about my exam because I know next to nothng. can some explain my ums and what i need in the exam to get what? Also what should i revise to get enough for atleast a b. God i wish i never took music, im starting to wish i chose a language instead
For the 12 mark question at the end, either revise AoS 1/2 OR AoS 3/4, that way you only have to revise 6 pieces in detail rather than 12 :smile:
Original post by jamietlb

Dude you do realise according to last years grade boundaries you would need like 27/80 to get a b and to get an a you only need like 50/80!
Reply 115
surely the essays that have been used in the two past papers wont come up. So far they have used grace, yuri (thankgod), somethings coming and raindrop. Shall i not bother with them?
Reply 116
Original post by Fatratman24
Dude you do realise according to last years grade boundaries you would need like 27/80 to get a b and to get an a you only need like 50/80!

No i didnt realize haha, to be honest the likeliness of me getting an A would be pigs flying unless someone gives me some drastic help on how to revise. I could really do with an a cause everyone doubts me and says i cant do music for shi* haha. Show their sorry asses but like i said i dont know what to revise. What is most important etc?
Here are your UMS calculations (assuming nothing gets moderated up or down and boundaries don't change - which they never do):

Unit 1 Performing: 83/90 UMS (7 UMS lost)
Unit 2 Composing: 69/90 UMS (21 UMS lost)

You have lost 28 UMS, to get an A* you can only lose 2 more UMS, and for an A you can lose 32 UMS.

A*: need 118/120 UMS (this may well be something like 70/80 raw)
A: need 88/120 UMS (easily achievable with the revision)
Reply 118
I swear the grade boundaries were like 86% for an A* last year? http://community.tes.co.uk/tes_music/f/29/t/483342.aspx
Original post by ABC05
I swear the grade boundaries were like 86% for an A* last year? http://community.tes.co.uk/tes_music/f/29/t/483342.aspx

That was for a different syllabus :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending