The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Unit 3 (Higher) 6th March 2013

How did everyone think the exam went?

Personally I found this much easier compared to the June and November past papers. Completely no Cosine rule in it whatsoever.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
easy, some questions on it were a bit sneaky and cost me a few marks like the last question i forgot to add on b so i think iv lost 2 marks there :/
Reply 2
Nice paper, good to see the last question was vectors rather than a nasty proof or trig question, hoping for a good score :smile:
Reply 3
I cant believe there was no cosine or sine graphs, nor either cos or sin rule... there were loads of angles. Overall compared to the past papers and specimen I thought it was quite easy! :smile: so glad I've finished maths GCSE now :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by 01BTelling
I cant believe there was no cosine or sine graphs, nor either cos or sin rule... there were loads of angles. Overall compared to the past papers and specimen I thought it was quite easy! :smile: so glad I've finished maths GCSE now :biggrin:

Yes it was nice to have hardly any trigonometry! Glad there was lots of angles as they are easy to pick up marks! what did you get for the sphere question? The one where you had to show the surface area through pi and x in it's simplest form? :wink::wink:
I did this exam as my second retake, and compare to the other two unit 3 exams i have done this one was by far the easiest! AQA were really nice with the questions. Especially the latter questions. However there were a few questions i was confused about and not so confident in answering:

The rectangle fold one where you had to find x:
I got 50 degrees
The One with the 3 rods and 3 x values:
I think i got 5.5, 7 and 6.4 or something
The Sphere surface area questions, where they gave you a radius of 3x:
I believe i got around Pi(36x)
The Surface area cone question after it:
I think i got...
l = 12x
The last vector question i got:
2.5b-1.5a (that one was a little tricky)

The one with 1:250,000 what was the 1cm in the scale to km? I didn't understand it. And the one about miles after it, I think i got 22 miles.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Xx1CALUM1xX
I did this exam as my second retake, and compare to the other two unit 3 exams i have done this one was by far the easiest! AQA were really nice with the questions. Especially the latter questions. However there were a few questions i was confused about and not so confident in answering:

The rectangle fold one where you had to find x:
I got 50 degrees
The One with the 3 rods and 3 x values:
I think i got 5.5, 7 and 6.4 or something
The Sphere surface area questions, where they gave you a radius of 3x:
I believe i got around Pi(36x)
The Surface area cone question after it:
I think i got...
l = 12x
The last vector question i got:
2.5b-1.5a (that one was a little tricky)

The one with 1:250,000 what was the 1cm in the scale to km? I didn't understand it. And the one about miles after it, I think i got 22 miles.

i got 50 degrees, 5.5 6 and 7 and l = 12x , what did you get for the volume of oil in the cylinder?
Reply 7
for the rods question I got 5.5, 6 and 7.
for the vectors question I got 2.5b - 1.5a
for the cone question I got l=4x
for the rectangle one I got 50degrees
for the rhombus one I got 36degrees
for the tangent theorem one I got 43degrees because of Alternate segment theorem
how did you guys get l=12x? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Baylo97
for the rods question I got 5.5, 6 and 7.
for the vectors question I got 2.5b - 1.5a
for the cone question I got l=4x
for the rectangle one I got 50degrees
for the rhombus one I got 36degrees
for the tangent theorem one I got 43degrees because of Alternate segment theorem
how did you guys get l=12x? :smile:

I got l=4x as well, i assume they got 12x because they didnt divide by 3 ??
The rest of my answers r the same as yours !!! Im hoping that means we both did ok :smile:
For the sphere question i got something lik 12x^2pi....
the last vector question i got a really weird answer, something like 2.5 b - 2/3 a... ???
(edited 11 years ago)
You divide the 3x to get rid of the squared in 3x2, then you times the 4 with 3x to get 12x
Reply 10
It's hard to remember the questions thinking back - thinking back 12x does sound right unfortunately :mad:! but I've gone through in my head and think I might drop a mark on vectors and get 2/3, maybe get a mark for method on cones so 1/3, thinking back i flopped the spheres question so probably 0/2 and on the question where you have to find the wall height, I got 29.75 which is right, but it says to a suitable degree of accuracy! what does this mean it has to be in, does it matter as long as it is suitable, would no decimals, 1 decimal, and 2 decimal places be suitable or just one of these? :confused: if I get that I'm looking at probably 75/80 if not 74/80 :wink: what did you guys get in ums in the units 1 and 2 exams?
Reply 11
Im not sure what ums i got on the last two but i got A*, I really want an A* overall i need at least 63/80, which isnt too bad... but i keep on finding questions i think i got wrong:confused: what about you guys??
Reply 12
can anybody remember how many marks the question where you had to add up the x terms around the L-shape and find the perimeter was?
Reply 13
what did you guys get for the question where you had the two similar rectangles and you had to find the area? i got the side of the bigger one as 4.5, wasnt sure if it was right though...
Reply 14
Yes other side of rectangle was 4.5 so answer was 67.5 cmsquared
And the L shape question was 3 marks I think, and yes I know, I came out the exam thinking 80/80, then realised i dropped a mark on vector, then maybe on the degree of accuracy question (not sure whether 2decimal places is suitable or not) :/ then 2 marks on the cones question, then now I got the answer to the spheres question I think then tried to simplify it but did it completely wrong :frown: so just hoping i get a mark for method cause i had it in my working, that would give me a score of 75/80, which is an A* and ums of about 115/120, but I get exam dispensation I think cause of poor attendance through illness - so that would go to 117/120 hopefully :biggrin:
there was some questions that were worth so many marks, 5 marks for a scale factor question, 6 marks for trig? hopefully i got 65/80
what do u think the grade boundraies are guna be
Reply 17
i think grade boundaries are going to be fairly high about 70/80 for an A*, due to the majority of my year finding it easy
Reply 18
Original post by Usama97
i think grade boundaries are going to be fairly high about 70/80 for an A*, due to the majority of my year finding it easy

I agree, I think theyll be quite high.... I'm just hoping I get an A* overall, i need at least 63/80, if i get any lower than that ill be bit disappointed anyway. :s-smilie:
hopefully its 65/80 to get a*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending