The Student Room Group

Post A level medicine re-applicant UMS

Hi everyone! Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I applied for medicine this year (Oxford, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Sheffield) and unfortunately have three rejections and waiting for my fourth (most probably).

Assuming I do get four rejections and have to take a gap year and reapply, I was wondering if I applied to Cambridge next year, would they consider my overall ums including both A2 and AS or just AS when calculating the average of my three most relevant subjects.

At AS I got: 91 biology, 93 maths, 94 art but only 80 chemistry so only just scraped an a.

Would it be worth retaking my AS chemistry modules to bump up the AS ums or will the fact that I retook look worse than having a low score in the first place? And if I did get much better AS scores would they even consider them towards the ums average or do they only consider the first sitting?
Or would simply concentrating on the A2 modules and getting an a* look better?

Sorry for all the questions but I have to decide whether or not to retake any modules by the end of this week and I'm very confused!

Reply 1
Original post by kapaaw
Hi everyone! Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I applied for medicine this year (Oxford, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Sheffield) and unfortunately have three rejections and waiting for my fourth (most probably).

Assuming I do get four rejections and have to take a gap year and reapply, I was wondering if I applied to Cambridge next year, would they consider my overall ums including both A2 and AS or just AS when calculating the average of my three most relevant subjects.

At AS I got: 91 biology, 93 maths, 94 art but only 80 chemistry so only just scraped an a.

Would it be worth retaking my AS chemistry modules to bump up the AS ums or will the fact that I retook look worse than having a low score in the first place? And if I did get much better AS scores would they even consider them towards the ums average or do they only consider the first sitting?
Or would simply concentrating on the A2 modules and getting an a* look better?

Sorry for all the questions but I have to decide whether or not to retake any modules by the end of this week and I'm very confused!

They will include all AS & A2 scores in calculating your average. They will not include AS resits taken in the second year. With an 80 first time in Chemistry applying to Cambridge may be quite a risk. Typical medics average well over 95 in their sciences. It may be worth you working on your strengths and applying to less competitive medical schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending