The Student Room Group

Sub-shells and energy levels question, help!

One of the learning objectives is- describe the relative energies of s-, p- and d- orbitals for shells 1,2 and 3
I have no idea how to word this? :/
Is it right that the energy increases as the further the shell is from the nucleus?
How would you answer the objective?
Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madz2802
One of the learning objectives is- describe the relative energies of s-, p- and d- orbitals for shells 1,2 and 3
I have no idea how to word this? :/
Is it right that the energy increases as the further the shell is from the nucleus?
How would you answer the objective?
Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not complicated ...

'd' orbitals have higher energy than 'p', which have higher energy than 's' orbitals
Reply 2
Original post by charco
It's not complicated ...

'd' orbitals have higher energy than 'p', which have higher energy than 's' orbitals

I get confused easily then when I understand I understand haha :tongue:
So -within a shell, the subshell energies increase in the order s, p, d and f?
To describe this for the shells 1,2 and 3 do I say shell 1 contains s orbitals, shell 2 contains s and p orbitals and so on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get confused easily then when I understand I understand haha :tongue:
So -within a shell, the subshell energies increase in the order s, p, d and f?
To describe this for the shells 1,2 and 3 do I say shell 1 contains s orbitals, shell 2 contains s and p orbitals and so on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am a bit surprised about the negative rep (not that I mind, it's a free world) as you asked for the relative energies and I gave you the simplest response. That is all that the examiners want.

Each energy shell contains subshells. The subshells have relative energies 's' lower than 'p' which in turn is lower than 'd' which is lower than 'f'.

Clearly if an energy level doesn't contain a specific sub-shell (eg level 2 does not have 'd' or 'f' orbitals) then you just discuss the ones it does contain.

Using the relative energies brings you into the Aufbau principle and explains why the orbitals fill up in the order they do.
Reply 4
Original post by charco
I am a bit surprised about the negative rep (not that I mind, it's a free world) as you asked for the relative energies and I gave you the simplest response. That is all that the examiners want.

Each energy shell contains subshells. The subshells have relative energies 's' lower than 'p' which in turn is lower than 'd' which is lower than 'f'.

Clearly if an energy level doesn't contain a specific sub-shell (eg level 2 does not have 'd' or 'f' orbitals) then you just discuss the ones it does contain.

Using the relative energies brings you into the Aufbau principle and explains why the orbitals fill up in the order they do.

Thanks! Makes much more sense now, I was only confused as I teacher never mentioned anything about it.
So I could say for shell 2= They p sub-shell has a higher relative energy than s.
:smile:
Thanks! Makes much more sense now, I was only confused as I teacher never mentioned anything about it.
So I could say for shell 2= They p sub-shell has a higher relative energy than s.
:smile:

yes

Quick Reply

Latest