The Student Room Group

Advanced notice paper F332 OCR SALTERS B

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yugiohtheawesome
hey guys, this is the question sheet that you wanted. I'd appreciate it if anyone could create an answer document please :smile:

well that's over then :redface:
Original post by madrevision
well that's over then :redface:

looool I'm sorry I thought that somebody asked for the whole document up :frown:
can someone upload the answers to tbose questions please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yugiohtheawesome
looool I'm sorry I thought that somebody asked for the whole document up :frown:
no it's cool lol - we both need the answers I thought posting in little chunks would mean more people wouldn't be overwhelmed/lazy to post answers haha :colone:
no it's cool lol - we both need the answers I thought posting in little chunks would mean more people wouldn't be overwhelmed/lazy to post answers haha :colone:

Oh damn that would have been a good plan till I ruined it :colone:
Reply 245
And....2.· Why is the N2O (liquid) into N2O (gas) not a true dynamic equilibrium ?
· Describe how photochemical smog can be harmful to:
(a) the environment ? (b) Humans ?
· The article mentions a reaction with HO radicals, what is a radical?
Give examples of other radicals found in the stratosphere?
· Suggest why the concentration of N2O in the atmosphere has increased since 1820 ?

2. They are not in a closed system (not sure about this one)
- (a) not sure about the enviroment (b) Ozone in the smog is toxic to Humans-
- A radical is a particle with a unpaired electron
- O is a radical as are the halogen radicals (F,CL,BR,I) formed when CFC's are broken down by photo dissociation.-
Due to more cars and factories and more demand for coal and fuel combustion energy supplies, more nitrogren from the air has been reacting with oxygen than usual so the concetration of N2O increases. Also due to it's extremely long lifetime of 150 years it's hard to get rid of, so stays in the atmosphere for a long period of time.
@The note please keep going we are all with you in spirit ahahaha but seriously your answers are of exquisite quality so much appreciation from me and i'm sure from everyone else on here :smile:
Reply 247
numero 3.· What is used as a catalyst in the upper atmosphere in photolytic fission leading to radicals being
formed ?
· Explain why N2O is considered a greenhouse gas?
· Give the symbol equation for the reaction taking place in a catalytic converter to turn nitrogen
oxides (NOX) to oxygen and nitrogen?
Is this oxidation or reduction?
· ‘Nitrous oxide is released into the atmosphere from the soil aquatic systems’. Discuss?

3. Oxides of nitrogen-
-It absorbs I.R radiation remmited by earth (originally absorbed from the sun via UV/viaable light) This radiation causes the bonds in N2O to vibrate and gain Kinetic Eneergy, the excited particle can then bump into others causing them to gain kinetic energy and warm the atmosphere. Also the N2O can remit the IR radiation in all directions, including back towards earth.
- 2NO2 > N2 + 2O2
2NO > N2 + O2
both with a plat catalyst.

- reduction the oxidation number lowers

- confused by this one, I'm not sure what they want me to say, needs to be more specific.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheNote

- confused by this one, I'm not sure what they want me to say, needs to be more specific.
er yh i'm not sure tbh it is pretty vague- definitely wouldn't get that from OCR :tongue:
4· Why are the three bonds in nitrogen (N2) significant ?
· Explain using examples the mechanism of a radical chain reaction?
· What are the dangers of photochemical smog?
· Explain why lightning contributes to the formation of NOX give one of the origins of NOX?
Reply 250
Why are the three bonds in nitrogen (N2) significant ?
· Explain using examples the mechanism of a radical chain reaction?
· What are the dangers of photochemical smog?
· Explain why lightning contributes to the formation of NOX give one of the other origins of NOX?
· Draw a dot and cross bonding diagram for N2O
· Loss of N2O by wet deposition contributes to which atmospheric problem?
· Give the oxidation state of N in each of the following:
a) N2O b) HNO3 c) NO d) (NH4)2SO4
· Use a diagram to show the bonding in Ozone (O3)
Describe why the bonds aren’t true double bonds?
· Write balanced symbol equations to represent the reactions in the use of a threeway
catalyst ?
· Describe how HNO3 is removed from that atmosphere by wet deposition ?

- the triple bonded nitrogen is very stable, this means that it doesn't react easily and is considered an inert gas in the lower atmosphere, it only really reacts in the upper atmosphere where shortwavelengh (80-100nm) light can reach it and allow for photolysis to occur

- You can't see :P
the O3 in the smog is toxic to humans and can irritate our lungs and agrivate lung issues such as asthema, the creation of this O3 is catalysed by nitrogen oxides (mainly NO look at page 93 in CGP revision guide if you have one)

- Lightning provides enough energy in order to break the N2 triple bond, this creates two highly reactive N's that will easily react with oxygen (O2)

- I can't be bothered to draw it and upload it, Fig 2. advanced notice.

I'm kinda tired so I'm off to bed now, hope these help, although don't read this as gospel and make sure to check them up yourselves.
Original post by TheNote

I'm kinda tired so I'm off to bed now, hope these help, although don't read this as gospel and make sure to check them up yourselves.
Thank you so much, you pretty much answered all but 2 and helped us all a great deal once again thanks :biggrin: oh my bad you answered all of them you're awesome !
(edited 10 years ago)
Can somebody please put all of these answers onto one document? It would help me a lot :biggrin:
Reply 253
Original post by tigerz
Wouldn't even be surprised :/ This is OCR chem where 'AdditionalAL' is not allowed but 'Addition' is -.-
Does anyone think that the Jan 13 paper had a ridiculous amount of structure drawing? (isomers etc)

^ we did it as our mocks, and it was just gay, you can easily make mistakes without realising :L
Reply 254
Original post by sunita22
^ we did it as our mocks, and it was just gay, you can easily make mistakes without realising :L

Ikr, we didn't have enough time for a mock but the other chem class did and they found it really difficult!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending