The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Football at Northumbria

I am a really keen footballer, i have played for a team since I was 8 years old and am really keen to carry it on at university. Can anyone tell me what the footballs like, the teams the university have, what the standard is...etc?

That would be great if anyone could cheers.
Reply 1
FK333
I am a really keen footballer, i have played for a team since I was 8 years old and am really keen to carry it on at university. Can anyone tell me what the footballs like, the teams the university have, what the standard is...etc?

which university are you going to?

Not that it makes that much difference. I'm a first year at newcastle and play football for the university. The standard is fairly decent, depending on actually how good you are. Both newcastle and northumbria play against other universities on a wednesday at places like Durham, York, Teeside, Leeds etc which is a decent standard if you are in the first or second teams. Then on the saturday both uni's first teams compete in the northeren alliance league which is also fairly decent. Newcastles second team play in a lesser local league in newcastle and then the thirds play intermural football. I'm not sure what the other northmubria teams do on the saturday but i should imagine they have some football.

I should think the standard would be challenging enough for you, unless you are a very good player, as both uni's have some decent footballers. If you have any more questions just ask :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
FK
OP
all sounds rather cool, i wouldn't say i'm amazing but i'd like to think i'm atleast good enough for the thirds. I'm going to northumbria university.

So how do you get into the teams and that, do you have to have trials or do they just let anyone in?

Do you play for any of the teams at all? also is there like 5 aside and that because i looked on the union website and saw all these different leagues under 5 aside, 7 aside and 11 aside.

cheers for your help
Reply 3
Well what happens at newcastle is they hold trials in the first two weeks, which will probably happen at Northumbria also. There will be trials for the actual University team and then proabably trials for teams that are intermural teams, which contain university students but arnt actually the university team and these play against each other in various 7 and 11-a-side leagues. Also like you said there will be 5-a-side teams. It should all be well documented during freshers week, with teams advertising for trials trying to get players in. It all depends on how seriously you want to take it as to what you go for. For example if you want to take it pretty seriously and train a couple of times a week with competitive games then you should try out for the uni, If not then maybe another team like ive mentioned. I can't say that all this is correct because i don't go to norhtumbria but that is how it works at newcastle.

To be honest, i wouldn't worry about it as during freshers week there is loads of information about stuff like this and its easy to get involved. Hope this helps.
Reply 4
FK
OP
cheers that is a big help!

look forward to the potential footie of the future
Reply 5
no problem, maybe i'll be playing against you next year!
Reply 6
Football at northumbria is one of our priority sports.
The standard is very high and this season they won the top university league. Competition for places in the 5 wednesday teams, but there are loads of other intermural games, with 5,7 and 11 a side leagues running between the students on different days of the week.
New students for the 1st team as i understand it are often preselected before they arrive at uni and go to the training camps, however there is usually trials in the first few weeks for the remaining spaces.
Make sure you get down to the sports fair in freshers week and talk to the guys as they will know a lot more about it than me! But come and say hi to me during the sports fair!
Ali the Northumbria Uni Hockey Club President
Reply 7
FK
OP
ali567149
Football at northumbria is one of our priority sports.
The standard is very high and this season they won the top university league. Competition for places in the 5 wednesday teams, but there are loads of other intermural games, with 5,7 and 11 a side leagues running between the students on different days of the week.
New students for the 1st team as i understand it are often preselected before they arrive at uni and go to the training camps, however there is usually trials in the first few weeks for the remaining spaces.
Make sure you get down to the sports fair in freshers week and talk to the guys as they will know a lot more about it than me! But come and say hi to me during the sports fair!
Ali the Northumbria Uni Hockey Club President

I will indeed! the standard must be pretty good if the 1st team players are preselected, doubt i would make that. how does the selection work for the second and third teams then? are the intermural teams just made up of friends who decide on a team or are they preset teams you can join?

cheers FK
Reply 8
they are usually present teams that you can join.
Reply 9
FK333
I will indeed! the standard must be pretty good if the 1st team players are preselected, doubt i would make that. how does the selection work for the second and third teams then? are the intermural teams just made up of friends who decide on a team or are they preset teams you can join?

cheers FK

The intermural leagues are just groups of friends, i palyed for a coupple of games last year to make up the number for a friend but im useless so was sidlined to spectator. The selection i think will just involve trials etc. and then the coach and captains will select whom they want for the teams
Reply 10
how does the preselection thing work at northumbria??
hey does any1 know how hard it is to get into newcastle's hockey intermural teams? im a girl but think i read its mixed so am guessing its going to be twice as hard to get into as single sex teams like footie ?
Reply 12
hmmm not sure, i shouldn't imagine it will be too difficult if you play hockey as there is normally loads of intermural teams for popular sports such as hockey so i really shouldn't imagine it would be a problem. Having said that I don't actually know anything about the hockey set up so I could be wrong. If i see anyone i know that plays hockey I'll ask for you :smile:
Reply 13
gordih6
how does the preselection thing work at northumbria??

Not totally sure but i think.........
1. They use many of the people from the team below so seconds to fill any gaps left by graduates
2. If they know of someone who is comming....normaly through the sports grant thingy offered then they will contact them
3. friends or team mates of current player will recomend
I think thats how it works but don't quote me on it as i have been very wrong about these things in the past!:eek:
Any who come and play hockey its way more fun!:biggrin:
Reply 14
Ah rite, doesn't matter if its not right as I only asked out of interest. Has no relevance to me whatsoever. :smile:
Reply 15
FK333

i have a 7 aside team near newcastle... i need a strker if you are one lol.
Reply 16
FK
OP
yer i can play upfront, played there a few times and love it. When you say near newcastle does that mean your team is not part of the university?
Reply 17
Anyone want a game of football tonight, 8pm at Soccerworld, West Rd, Newcastle? I've started a brand new team full of students if you wanted to join a team.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending