The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle university

Hi there

random question, but I really like Newcastle university, however I'm not a very party person and obviously Newcastle in known as a party city, I will probably go out now and again, I'm just worried that its a big city and known as a party city, so if I would find it overwhelming or too big so just wondering peoples opinions on Newcastle for quieter people ??

Thank you
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Newcastle doesn't really feel like most UK cities. It's difficult to describe when the city definitely has bars, clubs, and restaurants to suit all tastes but it's a lot more refined than you might think (visit its department store Fenwicks). Probably a bit like how Glasgow is stereotyped as rough and ready but is actually rather posh in many places. There are some people with money round here. It's not just full of scruffy hellraisers, far from it. Even though its population isn't as large as some cities, the city covers quite an expanse indeed, from a theatre and cinema area to the Life Science museum to the quayside. There's even a Chinese quarter. The area near the railway station is particularly nice. I would say, though, with regret, don't necessarily expect a lot of actual Geordies. Newcastle probably has more people who've moved from down south than natives. Newcastle University used to be part of Durham University until the 1960s by the way. Always visit wherever you intend to spend 3 years though.
(edited 1 month ago)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply and yeah I went to a open day for Newcastle and really liked the university, im just worried on it being too big and party like lol, as I'm not a big party person.
Reply 3
Which subject would you be studying? Whereabouts are you or which other universities are you considering?
Reply 4
I’m hoping to do English literature and my other options are Lincoln, Nottingham Trent, Northumbria and York St John’s , what are your thoughts on Newcastle ?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
Newcastle must have a fantastic English dept as it's currently first out of all UK universities for research in the subject, with a score of 94% on www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk.
I'd put Leicester (joint 9th for research in English) and Reading as choices instead of Nottingham Trent and Lincoln. Personally, I loved the Leicester campus and was so pleased I went.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending