The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 1
Well on the open day the presentation showed number of applicants to number of places, so added up the number of places which was around 700 (I think, all first year business courses) …. I then read from someone saying that there were around 900 places for first year business students doing the general first year. So that suggests the uni may well be flexible on demand. After all each applicant will be paying £3000 a year for 2006 entry so its common sense to make room for additional applicants; an extra 10 applicants = 30K a year over so 4 years 120K, so an additional 100 applicants = :wink: (from business alone). And again I’ve read on this forum they are known to be lenient.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey

Im in the same position, I really want to go, but am unsure about Abb. I went to the open day this week, and they sed they get 10 appilcations to every 1 place, so it doesnt look great!
Reply 3
Laura_Boo
Hey

Im in the same position, I really want to go, but am unsure about Abb. I went to the open day this week, and they sed they get 10 appilcations to every 1 place, so it doesnt look great!

remember most people apply to 6 unis, so if you added up all the unis 'people applying per place' x the number of places, you would most probably get around 6 times the amount of applicants. =)
Reply 4
They emphesised the fact that they do consider you if you dont get the grades. They repeated this several times suggesting that it is an option.

If its any help you can also make up the points with AAC which is what i'm hoping for.
Reply 5
Laura_Boo
Hey

This for business? What courses have you all applied for?
Reply 6
to get on to the business course i do agree is a bit hard due to the demand so if u were asked to get ABB and came back with say a BBB it may be ok but anything lower you may not get what course you INITALLY applied for - now thats a point to note bcuz say uve applied for IBML (international business and languages) and you dint make the grade they may ask you to do a combined honour instead (so you'd be doing Business admin. w/ a language) This totally depends on what you want, if you reallllly want to be at aston, explore the possibilites of an alt. degree but keep in mind combined honours are not on the same level as the actual business skl degree (not that Im knocking anythng but this is what Ive been told time after time)

Now aside from cut throat competition for aston seats is in Pharmacy, business, chemical eng,optometry- they seem really flexible with grades and will be willing to offer even with a lower grade.
Reply 7
indy_punk
Now aside from cut throat competition for aston seats is in Pharmacy, business, chemical eng,optometry- they seem really flexible with grades and will be willing to offer even with a lower grade.

you wouldn't happen to know about psychology courses would you??? dead scared that i won't get the grades - i have my heart set on going to aston!
Reply 8
yipes psychology no clue im 'fraid :frown:
But good luck and i hope theyd be flexi :biggrin:
Reply 9
hey i thought unis dont take many applicants from clearing therefore will they be more flexible wid da ppl who have dem as firm choice?????
Reply 10
um um yes no and i dont know.Guys its really not right for us to speculate because at the end of the day its just what we (normal people sittin behind a computer screen) think theres sooo much to it - your expected grades,your track record, the subjects uve done,the course your applying for.The list is endless.And you can argue going "with top up fees they'd take more students" but at the end the uni has the final say.So if you havent made ur grades get in touch w/ the uni asap and let em sort you out.
But i guess you are right tabs they may be more flexible w/ students w/ a lesser grade who has them as a firm choice but who knows!

One thing i can say is that the officer who handled my application said aston's policy is to tend to take students who want to study there ie if you want us we want you.
I know its a weird post,I know how the whole summer anguish feels for waiting for your results but really keep the faith - it should be alright :smile:
Reply 11
ok thanks for dat, but do u guys know anythin bout ucas getting ure grades before, do they get em a week before and publish responses a week before, dat would be great cuz i dont want to go in college if i dont get in uni????
UCAS and the unis get your results the week before you do, you won't know til the morning of Results Day though.

You can check UCAS Track on Results Day Morning, but be prepared that the site might not work and crash or be really slow. Most of my friends got a letter from UCAS that morning anyway saying they got in though, so you'll probably know.

I didn't have to go in coz I was on holiday, I've only ever read my own results once, at AS. I was on holiday for my GCSEs and A Levels and at my boyfriend's for my first year uni ones!
Reply 13
I heard that UCAS publish the results on track at like 6 in the morning so that people can have the day to sort themselves out if needs be... dunno how true this is though but i will def be up checking that morning - probably all night actually cause I know I won't be able to sleep!
Yeah, I think it's about 7, worth a try if you can't wait til your post comes!

Latest