The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

If during the exam i cant use 2 companys in the same point, would it be better just to do 6 points with 6 different companies instead of 4 points with 8 different companies?
Reply 561
Original post by Infamous12
If during the exam i cant use 2 companys in the same point, would it be better just to do 6 points with 6 different companies instead of 4 points with 8 different companies?

4 points with 3/4 companies.
So do we definitely need two businesses per point?
Original post by CubePL
4 points with 3/4 companies.

In answers which score highly, they will always compare/contrast 2 companies in one point and they will usually get good application for it.
Reply 564
are there any ways of saying "linking back to the question" it feels weird saying it 4 times :/ also what does everyone here actually mention when they link back to the question??
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 565
Original post by Infamous12
In answers which score highly, they will always compare/contrast 2 companies in one point and they will usually get good application for it.

Yeah, I've noticed if you can go indepth with 2 companies and name drop a few more then you'll get good application
Original post by rubix1
Any notes on Amazon people?

Amazon have a task culture where people are divided into different groups, recieve lines, pack lines, putting away suppliers products and pickers, with mobile problem solvers.

Amazon is interesting because it actually has quite a negative culture in its warehouses, employees walk 7-14 miles a day, and its quite darwinistic. for example, an employee got sick during a shift and then then next time she came in she didnt have a job, similarly an employee took a day off because his boots supplied by amazon gave him blisters and pain, and then next time he came in he had also lost his job. Employees also have to walk through an airport style security system to get to have a 30 min lunch break.

to a certain extent, particularly looking at the warehouse in Rugley, although it does have a task culture where everyone has specifc tasks, its not necessarily a strong culture. This is because Rugley sufffered from structural unemployment due to the coal mine closures in the 90's, and therefore people work there to have a job, rather than because they embrace the company values. In addition to this, it has a negative culture because of the darwinistic culture, because there's job uncertainty and insecurity. On the one hand this motivates employees to work hard because they don't want to be the ones to lose their jobs, but on the other hand, they are demotivated because there jobs are so uncertain.

But, although Amazon may not necessarily have a strong or positive culture in its warehouses, it still proves to be particularly successful, as it is becoming increasingly popular, for example 1 in 4 books are purchased from amazon, and also the kindle has been proven to be a success

Amazon, despite not necessarily having a strong or positive culture, is slowly beginning to dominate the market, with the growing e-retail and its cheap products, and therefore, despite its culture, it's still doing well.

whoops didnt mean to write that much sorry

Original post by rubix1
Which companies have you researched mainly? And for what topics can you use those companies in?

ive done amazon, barclays, zappos, royal mail, john lewis, mid-staffordshire hospital, enron, yahoo and southwest airlines. i also need to do tesco and ikea but. For topics, i havent really sorted them into topics - sorry. what have you done?
Is anyone else finding that their evaluation for the points 'for' are then becoming their main points for the argument 'against' or vice versa?
What's are some good example businesses for a:

- Strong culture
- Weak culture
- Toxic culture
- Static culture
- Dynamic culture
- Bonus culture
- Entrepreneurial culture
- Bureaucratic culture
- Power culture
- Role culture
- Task culture
- Person culture

Also, are there any other types of cultures we have to know? Thanks.
Reply 569
Original post by Proflash
are there any ways of saying "linking back to the question" it feels weird saying it 4 times :/ also what does everyone here actually mention when they link back to the question??

I just sum up the point and then write "therefore the leader of a company has a big influence on corporate culture" for example. Then I always try to put a "however" on the end and an "it depends on"
Reply 570
Original post by Superunknown17
Is anyone else finding that their evaluation for the points 'for' are then becoming their main points for the argument 'against' or vice versa?

Yes
Reply 571
Original post by nadster
I just sum up the point and then write "therefore the leader of a company has a big influence on corporate culture" for example. Then I always try to put a "however" on the end and an "it depends on"

How do you structure your answer?

thanks
Reply 572
Original post by MrChuckNorris
What's are some good example businesses for a:

- Strong culture
- Weak culture
- Toxic culture
- Static culture
- Dynamic culture
- Bonus culture
- Entrepreneurial culture
- Bureaucratic culture
- Power culture
- Role culture
- Task culture
- Person culture

Also, are there any other types of cultures we have to know? Thanks.

Strong = Enron, Zappos, Facebook, Google
Weak = not sure
Toxic = Enron, Barclays, NHS(maybe)
Static = Enron
Dynamic = Royal Mail
Bonus = John Lewis, Barclays, Huawei, Enron
Bureaucratic = Royal Mail (maybe)
Power = Enron
Role = NHS
Task = Barclays
Person = Google, Southwest Airlines
Reply 573
Original post by MrBobb
How do you structure your answer?

thanks

I usually do a quick intro, setting the scene...defining etc.
Pick a company, make a point in favour of the argument. Analyse, use fact and figures, link back to the question.
Next paragraph, i use the same company to make a counter argument.
Then I do the same with one or two more companies.
My conclusion is usually about a page long, i use the take AIM approach
Reply 574
Original post by sofiax0
ive done amazon, barclays, zappos, royal mail, john lewis, mid-staffordshire hospital, enron, yahoo and southwest airlines. i also need to do tesco and ikea but. For topics, i havent really sorted them into topics - sorry. what have you done?

they're pretty much identical to my case studies! wish you the best of luck! have you got twitter?
Original post by nadster
Pick a company, make a point in favour of the argument. Analyse, use fact and figures, link back to the question.

that sounds good but is a page really necessarily? you should evaluate at the end of each paragraph so surely half a page would be enough for a final conclusion?
Original post by nadster

A whole page? :eek:
Original post by nadster
Strong = Enron, Zappos, Facebook, Google
Weak = not sure
Toxic = Enron, Barclays, NHS(maybe)
Static = Enron
Dynamic = Royal Mail
Bonus = John Lewis, Barclays, Huawei, Enron
Bureaucratic = Royal Mail (maybe)
Power = Enron
Role = NHS
Task = Barclays
Person = Google, Southwest Airlines

Thanks
Original post by Spencer.G
they're pretty much identical to my case studies! wish you the best of luck! have you got twitter?

wooo good choice! (Hopefully) haha, yeah! same as my username on here, whats yours?
I've researched 4 businesses for section A, is that enough? Also, what research should I do for section B? I'm really struggling because there's so much, and it's often hard to find relevant info!
halp

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending