The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

prospective student for BSc Sociology at the LSE

Hi, I am a 2023 prospective student for BSc Sociology at the LSE!
I was wondering if you could please share your stats, like predicted or subject combination (although this was a year ago). Also, do you have an idea on what the majority of sociology applicants have in terms of grades and strength of personal statement when applying to top institutions like LSE, Bath, Bristol, KCL etc?
Thanks😃
Original post by Anonymous
I recently got a place at LSE for Sociology.

I am worried about Sociology being the subject that everyone calls it unemployable (despite I would be studying at LSE). I wish to do social and public policy at the government (civil service) like public administration perhaps.

Do you guys think Sociology at LSE is worth it to go if i wish to pursue this career path? Or would you guys go for another university and study sociology there... (like Bristol or Baths idk)

Please share some thoughts on how good LSE Sociology could be for my future. I heard that this uni is competitive, but I dont think it is that competitive (offer rate and stuff) for Sociology course.
Reply 1
I recieved AAA in sociology, philosiphy, and English Literature and currently I am a second year Sociology student at LSE. I was also predicted these grades too. Most people in my year recieved at least As in their A levels, and your personal statement has to be a top notch if you want to get offered. This is because for Sociology course, LSE offers the best opportunity in the UK. I know someome who had A star and 2 As, but didn't get offered from the LSE due to their poor personal statement. Have a look at the admission report or individual university application website page to look for offer rates for different subjects at universities to get a brief idea of the competition...
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Thats great! Totally living my dream 😂
Actually I have already applied for Sociology at LSE in addition to KCL(social sciences),Bath, Warwick, and Birmingham.
I am predicted A*AA in Sociology, Econ and Maths.
However, I am worried that due to the exceptional standards of applicants, my grades will be not enough, even though entry req are AAB.
Nonetheless I worked hard on my personal statement and tried my best, lets hope it will be enough.
Here are a few qs: will be very grateful if answered. 🙏

1. What approximately is the home:student ratio?
2. Is BSc Sociology culturally diverse/what ethnic groups dominate most of the course?
3. What would you describe as a strong personal statement?
4. From knowledge/experiences, in terms of job prospects, do you think a Sociology grad is somewhat employable?
3. Most importantly are you enjoying the course, was the competition below or beyond your expectations?
Thank you, your feedback will be immensely appreciated. 😃
Reply 3
Original post by BS004
Thats great! Totally living my dream 😂
Actually I have already applied for Sociology at LSE in addition to KCL(social sciences),Bath, Warwick, and Birmingham.
I am predicted A*AA in Sociology, Econ and Maths.
However, I am worried that due to the exceptional standards of applicants, my grades will be not enough, even though entry req are AAB.
Nonetheless I worked hard on my personal statement and tried my best, lets hope it will be enough.
Here are a few qs: will be very grateful if answered. 🙏

2. Is BSc Sociology culturally diverse/what ethnic groups dominate most of the course?
4. From knowledge/experiences, in terms of job prospects, do you think a Sociology grad is somewhat employable?
3. Most importantly are you enjoying the course, was the competition below or beyond your expectations?
Thank you, your feedback will be immensely appreciated. 😃

LSE has the most international students enrollment in the UK. I will approximately say 70 percent as listed somewhere on the website. But it varies from year to year so I am not sure how to answer this. What I can tell you though is that LSE is a very culturally diverse university.

I would say very diverse. Idk which ethnic groups dominate, but probably Chinese, Indian and Pakistani.

As the name describes, it has to be PERSONAL. This is about uniqueness and standing out from other applicants. This can be done by linking yourself to the academic world. To unpack that, a strong personal statement would contain one's personal SOCIAL experiences in which it can be sociolocally discussed and evaluated. Being able to write succinctly how your experience of the social world can be comprehended by Sociological knowledge shows your personal interest.

At LSE surely. I know many people who when into legal sectors, finance, advertising, government, corporates, and so forth. But if it is at underrepresented university, it would be difficult. For job prospects, I would say that it is similar to history, geography, and philosiphy etc. So when it comes to this kind of subjects, your graduated institution matters a little more.

I am enjoying the course, but it is tough. There are loads of readings and essays to complete, and international students (Asians by stereotype) try their ass off. But the professors are world renowned, and LSE somwtimes invites famous Sociologists outside the UK to do public talk about the curriculum you are studying. So it has been more academic than I thought it to be, and it seemed that my friend from Bristol uni seems to have a lot more fun. But I value my educational experience, and my own learning so I find the opportunities at LSE useful. So basically, it is more stimulating, motivating, and challenging than fun... But what is fun always happenes outside the academic realm.
Reply 4
Thanks.
Original post by Shuei
LSE has the most international students enrollment in the UK. I will approximately say 70 percent as listed somewhere on the website. But it varies from year to year so I am not sure how to answer this. What I can tell you though is that LSE is a very culturally diverse university.

I would say very diverse. Idk which ethnic groups dominate, but probably Chinese, Indian and Pakistani.

As the name describes, it has to be PERSONAL. This is about uniqueness and standing out from other applicants. This can be done by linking yourself to the academic world. To unpack that, a strong personal statement would contain one's personal SOCIAL experiences in which it can be sociolocally discussed and evaluated. Being able to write succinctly how your experience of the social world can be comprehended by Sociological knowledge shows your personal interest.

At LSE surely. I know many people who when into legal sectors, finance, advertising, government, corporates, and so forth. But if it is at underrepresented university, it would be difficult. For job prospects, I would say that it is similar to history, geography, and philosiphy etc. So when it comes to this kind of subjects, your graduated institution matters a little more.

I am enjoying the course, but it is tough. There are loads of readings and essays to complete, and international students (Asians by stereotype) try their ass off. But the professors are world renowned, and LSE somwtimes invites famous Sociologists outside the UK to do public talk about the curriculum you are studying. So it has been more academic than I thought it to be, and it seemed that my friend from Bristol uni seems to have a lot more fun. But I value my educational experience, and my own learning so I find the opportunities at LSE useful. So basically, it is more stimulating, motivating, and challenging than fun... But what is fun always happenes outside the academic realm.
Reply 5
Original post by Shuei
I recieved AAA in sociology, philosiphy, and English Literature and currently I am a second year Sociology student at LSE. I was also predicted these grades too. Most people in my year recieved at least As in their A levels, and your personal statement has to be a top notch if you want to get offered. This is because for Sociology course, LSE offers the best opportunity in the UK. I know someome who had A star and 2 As, but didn't get offered from the LSE due to their poor personal statement. Have a look at the admission report or individual university application website page to look for offer rates for different subjects at universities to get a brief idea of the competition...

Hello, I know it’s been a year so might not reply but I am applying to LSE for sociology this year and was wondering about your reasonings behind calling it have the best opportunities in the UK? I’m trying to figure out what my top choice will be so it’d be interesting to hear! (if anyone else has an opinion of this feel free to pitch in!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending