Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

(Original post by Aula)
    The clip at the end makes it very clear that they won't.

It wasn't aimed particularly at you, it was more of a general reminder for everyone type thing.

And yes, I know, but some people prefer to avoid all news altogether, whether official or not.
    I usually prefer to only avoid leaks, but had actually managed to avoid all spoilers this time.

Also, with regards to the two spoilers above - it's very clear that it'll somehow be undone, as we know when
    Spoiler:
    Show
    clara is leaving - not until Christmas

Which is kinda a shame really, I'd have loved for that to stick and seen a much darker doctor as a result. I think Capaldi could be fantastically dark :love:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The episode ended with Capaldi about to exterminate a childhood Davros - is that not dark enough for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lustawny)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The episode ended with Capaldi about to exterminate a childhood Davros - is that not dark enough for you?
    :mmm:

This is a fair point...

ReputationRep:
    Also, quick spoiler reminders for everyone based on the first post of this thread.

Anything relating to future episodes goes in spoilers. Anything relating to episodes that have already aired doesn't need to.
    Please state above the spoiler whether it is published, a leak, or pure speculation (or a combination thereof)

So actually, most of the things that have been posted this evening didn't need to be in spoilers.

If people can stick to the above, I'll be a very happy Aula :puppyeyes:

(Original post by Aula)
    Also, quick spoiler reminders for everyone based on the first post of this thread.

Anything relating to future episodes goes in spoilers. Anything relating to episodes that have already aired doesn't need to.
    Please state above the spoiler whether it is published, a leak, or pure speculation (or a combination thereof)

So actually, most of the things that have been posted this evening didn't need to be in spoilers.

I'll do my best to keep you happy

ReputationRep:
    that's...okay...wow.

actually speechless at how that turned out, quite an opening episode!

ReputationRep:
    I need to be in on this thread! I won't make judgements on tonights episode yet. I need to watch it again.
    I will say that Missy was on point, at first watch I like it can't wait for next week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    The clip at the end makes it very clear that they won't.

It wasn't aimed particularly at you, it was more of a general reminder for everyone type thing.

And yes, I know, but some people prefer to avoid all news altogether, whether official or not.
    I usually prefer to only avoid leaks, but had actually managed to avoid all spoilers this time.

Also, with regards to the two spoilers above - it's very clear that it'll somehow be undone, as we know when
    Spoiler:
    Show
    clara is leaving - not until Christmas

Which is kinda a shame really, I'd have loved for that to stick and seen a much darker doctor as a result. I think Capaldi could be fantastically dark :love:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I thought Clara was leaving at the end of Series 9 "It is thought the actress will make her last appearance as Clara Oswald before the Christmas special" Source

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lustawny)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Did anyone else realise the similarity between the episode and the Series 6 opener? both ended with the Doctor/companion trying to kill someone to save the other but this time the opposite way round and they were both children as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    On the first spoiler...
    Spoiler:
    Show

They won't. It's quite obvious from the cliff hanger it'll all be undone - particularly since Clara isn't leaving yet

The much bigger question is

Spoiler:
    Show

How is Davros still alive when he was blown up in Times End in 2008? It could be undone by the crack in time and all that retconning, but Tennant was still in Davros guilt clips towards then end so apparently not
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Davros probably just escaped through an escape pod(I think he might have done this before) but both Davros and the Master escaped multiple times in the Classic Series from situations which seemed inescapable.I wonder whether his illness now is due to being badly injured from Journey's End.

(Original post by Dalek1099)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Did anyone else realise the similarity between the episode and the Series 6 opener? both ended with the Doctor/companion trying to kill someone to save the other but this time the opposite way round and they were both children as well.
    I can't say that I did, because I really dislike the Matt Smith era. I just want to forget about it entirely.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Refresh my memory, which was that? I definitely got a déjà vu feeling; although I have to say I could've predicted one or two elements of this episode. But it was still a great episode.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Refresh my memory, which was that? I definitely got a déjà vu feeling; although I have to say I could've predicted one or two elements of this episode. But it was still a great episode.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show
    In the Impossible Astronaut Amy shot at the spacesuit to stop it killing the Doctor, she had saw him die earlier in the episode like the Doctor saw Clara die and he wants to kill Davros to save Clara.

Isn't Davros's creation of the Daleks a fixed point in time?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    In the Impossible Astronaut Amy shot at the spacesuit to stop it killing the Doctor, she had saw him die earlier in the episode like the Doctor saw Clara die and he wants to kill Davros to save Clara.
    Ahhhh yes of course, how could I forget??

Spoiler:
    Show
    Loved the portrayal of the president in that episode

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)

I've tended to go for anything about the episode just shown spoilered for a day or so to allow people to catch up who couldn't watch live.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I have a theory and a question:

1. Theory:
    I believe Missy used the vortex manipulators to make it appear as though her and Clara died.

2. Question:
    How did the Doctor go back in time without his TARDIS?! (Unless he somehow managed to dismantle a Dalek and use it's emergency temporal shift, only a more refined and accurate version modified by himself?)

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I thought Clara was leaving at the end of Series 9 "It is thought the actress will make her last appearance as Clara Oswald before the Christmas special" Source
    speculation based on released info:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Either way, it's not going to be now.

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    I've tended to go for anything about the episode just shown spoilered for a day or so to allow people to catch up who couldn't watch live.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess we can go with that, though I'm sure we've had discussions about this and the general consensus has been that if you don't watch it for a few days you just avoid this thread. That's certainly what I've done in the past.

(Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Guys, I have a theory and a question:

1. Theory:
    I believe Missy used the vortex manipulators to make it appear as though her and Clara died.

2. Question:
    How did the Doctor go back in time without his TARDIS?! (Unless he somehow managed to dismantle a Dalek and use it's emergency temporal shift, only a more refined and accurate version modified by himself?)
    I presume we'll find out the answer to this next week :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I expected to not like the episode since I hated most episodes last season, but I liked it! I like missy but I do moss john simms...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So I have a theory about the return of Gallifrey:

Spoiler:
    Show
    In the last episode of Season 8, The Doctor flies the TARDIS to the coordinates given to him by Missy. He opens the doors to find nothing but an empty part of space.

In Season 9 Episode 1, Skaro is invisible until one has stood on its surface for a time. Until then, it presumably doesn't show on any sensors (I'm sure a combination of the Time Lord's and Lady's brain power and observational skills would have picked it up otherwise), and even from the doorway of Davros' hospital building it cannot be seen.

Am I the only one thinking that seeing as some of the Daleks' tech is pretty similar (albeit crude - time corridors as opposed to TARDIS style) then this could hint to the way in which Gallifrey has returned.

I'm pretty sure Gallifrey returning has been hinted at this season, and I have a sneaky suspicion that Missy - crazy as she may be - wishes to carry on her former Regeneration's final mission of bringing Gallifrey back.

Or am I just stabbing in the dark?

ReputationRep:
    missy is a terrible unfunny character

some parts of this episode were like a cbbc show, it deserves to have low ratings to be honest since it has been mediocre to awful since david tennant and russell t davies left.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.