The Student Room Group

Do we really need the HS2 line?

Does the UK need the new HS2 line that is going to be built?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does the UK "need" it - NO

Frankly our government it making cuts left right and center, spending money on a train service :angry:is something I and many others don't agree with .
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by British199
Does the UK "need" it - NO

Frankly our government it making cuts left right and center, spending money on a train service :angry:is something I and many others don't agree with .

Funny, that's what a lot of people said about the railways, and the London Underground, when they were first being built.
In the UK we have a huge "London / everywhere else" divide. Unfortunately HS2 doesn't help - it just makes it easier to get to London and increases the divide.
Just 3 characters needed for a response, not 140: YES
Original post by Rock Fan
Does the UK need the new HS2 line that is going to be built?

No, it reinforces London connections to the rest of the country and does nothing to alleviate congestion between other key cities.
Original post by RK
Just 3 characters needed for a response, not 140: YES

Just need 2 for mine: NO

I win.
Reply 7
Yes because both the WCML and ECML will be full in 10 yrs
Reply 8
no
Reply 9
No.
Reply 10
Why not connect Newcastle and Leeds to Manchester and Liverpool? It's designed to get people TO London quicker, the rest is a lucky benefit.
Reply 11
If it was free, yes. If it cost £30bn, no. Not good value.
Reply 12
No way.
Reply 13
How is this an april fool?
No.

</thread>
Original post by Magnum Opus
Funny, that's what a lot of people said about the railways, and the London Underground, when they were first being built.

All of which were built by the private sector, not £33bn of public money.
Reply 16
Maybe not the planned route, but an alternative definitely. Then we can stop being dependant on planes, cars, etc for those long distances.
Absolutely no need or case for it. Rail travel needs investment in this country, but not in this form.
Reply 18
Better transport infrastructure benefits the economy massively and it makes trade easier. Money spent to build HS2 line are a form of government spending, which forms a part of GDP too. We might not need the HS2, but it certainly isn't some stupid idea like some of you make it out to be.
Reply 19
Were playing catch up because Europe developed High Speed Rail in the 1980s and China is rapidly doing it now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending