The Student Room Group

Best Neighbourhoods For Secondary Schooling In Bucks & Hertfordshire counties?

Hi all,
I'm not sure I've posted in the right area so do pardon me.

My query is about where to move to for good options for secondary schooling.
We currently live in SW London but looking at south Buckinghamshire and SW Hertfordshire for our move.

Bucks has well reputed grammars and in Hertfordshire the Watford grammars and DAO seem to be the viable ones.

I'm keen to hear opinions re best curriculum in terms of variety and expertise, attitude towards extra-curricular activities, social life outside school, community, summer job prospects after 16, connectivity to London for work for parents, after university etc.
Reply 1
Original post by BucksorHerts
Hi all,
I'm not sure I've posted in the right area so do pardon me.

My query is about where to move to for good options for secondary schooling.
We currently live in SW London but looking at south Buckinghamshire and SW Hertfordshire for our move.

Bucks has well reputed grammars and in Hertfordshire the Watford grammars and DAO seem to be the viable ones.

I'm keen to hear opinions re best curriculum in terms of variety and expertise, attitude towards extra-curricular activities, social life outside school, community, summer job prospects after 16, connectivity to London for work for parents, after university etc.

How old is your child? Are you thinking about Grammars as there is a test to get in so you need to look at the alternatives if your child does not qualify
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
How old is your child? Are you thinking about Grammars as there is a test to get in so you need to look at the alternatives if your child does not qualify

Yes, I'm aware about alternatives. My question is about grammars.
11+ isn't for a few years yet but we plan to move early next year and need to narrow down areas.
Reply 3
Yes, I'm aware about alternatives. My question is about grammars.
11+ isn't for a few years yet but we plan to move early next year and need to narrow down areas.

Well all the Grammars are very similar - one decision is single gender or mixed. The quality of the local Upper is also important - just in case.

Some require you to be in catchment a certain time so check admission rules. I guess you know once you get 121 the actual score is irrelevant - places are allocated on catchment areas.
Reply 4
Well all the Grammars are very similar - one decision is single gender or mixed. The quality of the local Upper is also important - just in case.

Some require you to be in catchment a certain time so check admission rules. I guess you know once you get 121 the actual score is irrelevant - places are allocated on catchment areas.

I appreciate your contributions; thank you.
My query is about localities, Bucks grammars vs Herts Watford grammars and DAO re 11+, best curriculum in terms of variety and expertise, attitude towards extra-curricular activities, social life outside school, community, summer job prospects after 16, connectivity to London for work for parents, after university etc. Not about admission requirements to Bucks grammars. Thanks.
Reply 5
I appreciate your contributions; thank you.
My query is about localities, Bucks grammars vs Herts Watford grammars and DAO re 11+, best curriculum in terms of variety and expertise, attitude towards extra-curricular activities, social life outside school, community, summer job prospects after 16, connectivity to London for work for parents, after university etc. Not about admission requirements to Bucks grammars. Thanks.

Locailites define the school so I would look at the schools you prefer first. You won't get a place in Sir William Borlases if you live in High Wycombe for example. All Secondary schools follow the National currciulum so few differences and nothing can guarantee that what is on offer now will be in x years time.

House price will be a factor possibly as the commuter areas are pricey.

Watford and DAO are not true Grammars as they are only partially selective ... again with DAO catchment is key.

The Met line goes to Chesham and Amersham through the Chalfonts. Mainline to Marylebone from Aylesbury through HW. Summer jobs 10+ years ahead; no-one can predict that! All schools offer extra-curricular activities so again - male or female child and what are their preferences.

Seriously, as someone who has helped a lot of people with these sort of queries you are looking at this the wrong way round.

https://www.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/schools-and-learning/schools-index/school-admissions/school-admissions-guides-policies-and-statistics/school-place-allocation-statistics/
Reply 6
Thanks. My questions are about experiences and knowledge ie present and recent past. I'm not asking for projections into 10yrs.
Which way round do you propose? We're moving soon and need to narrow down areas using different criteria, this being one.
Reply 7
Thanks. My questions are about experiences and knowledge ie present and recent past. I'm not asking for projections into 10yrs.
Which way round do you propose? We're moving soon and need to narrow down areas using different criteria, this being one.

That's exactly what I'm giving you - nearly all the Bucks GS are [historically] outstanding.

Single gender is the first thing I would consider as that narrows it down.

Mixed Bucks GS [Chesham or south] are Burnham, SWB and Chesham.
Dr Challoners GS, Royal Grammar S and John Hampden HGS are single gender boys,
Beaconsfield High S, Dr Challoners HS, Wycombe High S are single gender girls.

If you are moving soon you won't get a Primary school place until you have an address - this link [add a year to each year group] tells you which had spaces https://www.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/schools-and-learning/schools-index/school-admissions/school-admissions-guides-policies-and-statistics/list-of-school-vacancies/

Are you looking only in South Bucks? How far north are you willing to be as prices tend to be lower but do watch HS2 impact wherever you look.
Reply 8
That's exactly what I'm giving you - nearly all the Bucks GS are [historically] outstanding.

Single gender is the first thing I would consider as that narrows it down.

Mixed Bucks GS [Chesham or south] are Burnham, SWB and Chesham.
Dr Challoners GS, Royal Grammar S and John Hampden HGS are single gender boys,
Beaconsfield High S, Dr Challoners HS, Wycombe High S are single gender girls.

If you are moving soon you won't get a Primary school place until you have an address - this link [add a year to each year group] tells you which had spaces https://www.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/schools-and-learning/schools-index/school-admissions/school-admissions-guides-policies-and-statistics/list-of-school-vacancies/

Are you looking only in South Bucks? How far north are you willing to be as prices tend to be lower but do watch HS2 impact wherever you look.

Thanks for such useful info. We liked Haddenham when we visited in 2021 but thought it was quite secluded and far.What do you think about Prestwood? Great & Little Missenden? Aylesbury gave more on the money but we don't like it. Beaconsfield was OK.
Reply 9
Thanks for such useful info. We liked Haddenham when we visited in 2021 but thought it was quite secluded and far.What do you think about Prestwood? Great & Little Missenden? Aylesbury gave more on the money but we don't like it. Beaconsfield was OK.

Haddenham - which Grammars are you in catchment for there? I think lots of building might be happening around there. You could be in catchment for Lord Williams Thame [a good Oxfordshire comp] - check.

Prestwood/Missenden - good train link but lots of HS2 disruption around there so check - the main A413 is single carriageway for most of the way down through Bucks. The Upper is good but which GS would you access and it would be a journey.

Parts of Aylesbury are OK [where did you look - PM me if you prefer] and you have the choice of two single gender GS and a mixed GS - none of the Uppers are great though.

Beaconsfield is very over-priced imho and the Upper has struggled.

Do you have a boy or girl and is it single gender or mixed you are looking for? The Chalfonts are worth a look ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending