The Student Room Group

A level politics help

I got my essay back on rights and it was really bad… can i improve in a month enough to get attain a high grade for my mocks?
Reply 1
need a bit more info! what is 'really bad' - what score is that? what was the essay about? what counts as a 'high grade' for you?
Original post by aloevera4
need a bit more info! what is 'really bad' - what score is that? what was the essay about? what counts as a 'high grade' for you?

my essay was around single digits 😭 what i think is good is around 20/30

The essay was about evaluating that rights are no longer secure
Reply 4
no worries - politics essay are notoriously difficult + you never know what you'll get on them. this is what i'm always told by my teachers + i get around 24-26 marks often

intro

follow DDD -> Definition, Discuss, Direction (ie. define key words, discuss the topic a bit more, say your line of argument)

saying your line of argument is the most important thing you can do in your intro - always do it!! for example, state in your introduction whether you think rights are secure or not

Paragraphs

it is ideal to have 3 points, but 2 is sufficient

one point counts as having a for + against argument

eg. with the example of 'rights not being secure', this counts as 1 point:

for - Human Rights Act makes rights secure because they protect people, we know what our rights are, etc.

against - HRA is not entrenched, therefore rights aren't properly safeguarded (you could also impress a lot by mentioning Rishi Sunak + his Rwanda bill, where he wants to get rid of HRA)

then do that for twice more!

also, always have a mini conclusion at the end of each point - this is what gives you the evaluation skills

say, in the intro, we said that rights are no longer secure, then in our mini conclusion (using the HRA as an example), we would write something like: despite the HRA 1998 being introduced to clarify and safeguard the rights of UK citizens, the fact that it is unentrenched means that human rights are vulnerable to populist governments. Rights are weakened further through parliamentary sovereignty, since the legislative branch are able to circumvent the HRA if it opposes their legislative agenda, as proposed with Sunak's Rwanda bill.

Conclusion

these are also very important for AO3!!

essentially sum up everything you've been saying, whilst always addressing your line of argument (in this example, that rights are no longer secure)

I really hope this helps!! please let me know if you need any advice or if this was at all helpful haha
no worries - politics essay are notoriously difficult + you never know what you'll get on them. this is what i'm always told by my teachers + i get around 24-26 marks often

intro

follow DDD -> Definition, Discuss, Direction (ie. define key words, discuss the topic a bit more, say your line of argument)

saying your line of argument is the most important thing you can do in your intro - always do it!! for example, state in your introduction whether you think rights are secure or not

Paragraphs

it is ideal to have 3 points, but 2 is sufficient

one point counts as having a for + against argument

eg. with the example of 'rights not being secure', this counts as 1 point:

for - Human Rights Act makes rights secure because they protect people, we know what our rights are, etc.

against - HRA is not entrenched, therefore rights aren't properly safeguarded (you could also impress a lot by mentioning Rishi Sunak + his Rwanda bill, where he wants to get rid of HRA)

then do that for twice more!

also, always have a mini conclusion at the end of each point - this is what gives you the evaluation skills

say, in the intro, we said that rights are no longer secure, then in our mini conclusion (using the HRA as an example), we would write something like: despite the HRA 1998 being introduced to clarify and safeguard the rights of UK citizens, the fact that it is unentrenched means that human rights are vulnerable to populist governments. Rights are weakened further through parliamentary sovereignty, since the legislative branch are able to circumvent the HRA if it opposes their legislative agenda, as proposed with Sunak's Rwanda bill.

Conclusion

these are also very important for AO3!!

essentially sum up everything you've been saying, whilst always addressing your line of argument (in this example, that rights are no longer secure)

I really hope this helps!! please let me know if you need any advice or if this was at all helpful haha

Thank you so much, ive honestly been really sad about it should I start the essay plan now?
Reply 6
Original post by reflective-these
Thank you so much, ive honestly been really sad about it should I start the essay plan now?

yess it's always very helpful to plan some essays, especially ones where you can do better. this is actually a very good learning curve - you'll be able to see how far you've come soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest