Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Physics G484 - June 2013 Unit 4 (OFFICIAL RETAKE THREAD) Watch

ReputationRep:
    G484 - 20th June 2013

Personal Note: predicted an A for Physics but will go for an A*. LAST SHOT :mad: :mad:

Thumb Up and Post Tips:
    1. Exam Technique
    2. Material/Question Papers
    3. Any other stuff like Uni Requirements etc. keep it on topic

Specification
    http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/oc..._gce_spec.pdf?

Past Papers
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...s_a/documents/

From Jan 10 to Jan 12 with mark schemes - http://www.mediafire.com/?omrcsu4pef8tobe

Older Paper Questions (good for practice if you've gone through all the current spec papers):

Circular Motion & Simple Harmonic Motion - http://www.mediafire.com/?n8u8vcibmfbl7l4

Thermal Physics - http://www.mediafire.com/?39wnyg73q1w93jn

NOTES
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...44442042,d.d2k
    Revision Websites
    http://www.mathsmadeeasy.myzen.co.uk... obbie-Peck.pdf

Powerpoint Presentations & Worksheets
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4g9ahc4kj707nui
    http://www.mediafire.com/?39wnyg73q1w93jn

Big Shout out to GeorgeL3 he got an A in this Exam and here are some of the resources he used:

COAS_TR_P2_1msws.pdf (161.2 KB, 8 views)COAS_TR_P2_1ws.pdf (115.6 KB, 6 views)
    COAS_TR_P2_2msws.pdf (130.6 KB, 3 views)
    COAS_TR_P2_2ws.pdf (101.9 KB, 3 views)
    COAS_TR_P2_3msws.pdf (183.4 KB, 3 views)
    COAS_TR_P2_3ws.pdf (117.6 KB, 3 views)
    COAS_TR_P2_4msws.pdf (146.2 KB, 3 views)
    COAS_TR_P2_4ws.pdf (50.3 KB, 3 views)
    COAS_TR_P2_5msws.pdf (344.4 KB, 4 views)
    COAS_TR_P2_5ws.pdf (366.6 KB, 4 views)COAS_TR_P2_6msws.pdf (144.9 KB, 4 views)
    COAS_TR_P2_6ws.pdf (129.3 KB, 4 views)
    COAS_TR_P2_7msws.pdf (144.0 KB, 2 views)
    COAS_TR_P2_7ws.pdf (104.4 KB, 2 views)

Physics Newtonian World revision cards - George Lewis.docx (123.5 KB, 0 views)

The Newtonian-World-Notes-G484-OCR-Physics-Robbie-Peck.pdf (334.4 KB, 1220 views)Thermal Physics Notes.pdf (437.5 KB, 715 views)
    Simple Harmonic Motion.pdf (479.2 KB, 657 views)
    A2 G484 The Newtonian World Definitions.pdf (250.6 KB, 1002 views)
    The Newtonian World - Data Sheet.pdf (187.1 KB, 429 views)
    Thermal Physics & Circular Motion.pdf (330.2 KB, 589 views)

ReputationRep:
    Is there a Jan 2013 paper floating about? Can't find one anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ginister)
    not sre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ginister)
    It won't officially be out until after the one in summer.

So, how badly did everyone do the first time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissAjayG)
    It won't officially be out until after the one in summer.

So, how badly did everyone do the first time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What matters is I will get an A or 54+/60 next time round. Come at me exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Better)
    What matters is I will get an A or 54+/60 next time round. Come at me exam.
    Haha Got the right attitude I see

My downfall last time was not reading the whole paper. I missed out on 25 - 30 marks because of that.

Not this time though, that exam won't know what hit it :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm taking this paper for the first time so any tips on revision? I kinda suck at unit 5 so really want a decent mark in this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilmzbest)
    Hi everyone! I'm taking this paper for the first time so any tips on revision? I kinda suck at unit 5 so really want a decent mark in this
    Err go to the Unit 4 January Thread for tips etc.

I didn't do to well But this time I'm going in for the kill, I'm broken the Exam Down into 3 Parts.

1. Definitions around 10% of the marks
    2. Equations with Synoptic Questions (Around 65% of the Marks, you need to be able to see where Topics overlap and use Unit 1 and 2 Equations when needed)
    3. Essays, and Practicals / EXPLAIN type of questions (Around 25% of the Marks)

53+/60 is around 90UMS.
    1. So this time Definitions won't be hard to learn, you can derive most of them from the equations
    2. I am going to do ALL the Exam Style and Practice questions from the book - TIMED (I am doing it for Unit 5 right now, and its really a great method, credit to all the students on here, and making notes of the Overlap for Synoptic Questions)
    3. Essays and Practicals - I can't do this alone, so I will let my Teacher Mark all my Past Paper questions with Essays, or check the January Forum again to see if there are any notes.

ReputationRep:
    Topic booklets for Newtonian World
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Circular motion and oscillations_Part1.pdf (387.7 KB, 470 views)
  2. File Type: pdf Circular motion and oscillations_Part2.pdf (412.8 KB, 241 views)
  3. File Type: pdf Circular motion and oscillations_Part3.pdf (697.5 KB, 221 views)
  4. File Type: pdf Circular motion and oscillations_Part4.pdf (663.2 KB, 235 views)
  5. File Type: pdf Circular motion and oscillations_Part5.pdf (71.1 KB, 230 views)
  6. File Type: pdf Circular motion and oscillations SCHEME.pdf (795.1 KB, 276 views)
  7. File Type: pdf Newton's Laws and Motion.pdf (819.4 KB, 304 views)
  8. File Type: pdf Newton's Laws and Motion SCHEME.pdf (364.4 KB, 241 views)
  9. File Type: pdf Thermal Physics.pdf (554.9 KB, 305 views)
  10. File Type: pdf Thermal Physics SCHEME.pdf (285.9 KB, 252 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by browb003)
    Topic booklets for Newtonian World
    Beast, any study advice would be good bro!

Thanks so much you are a God.

ReputationRep:
    There is always a huge question in g484 papers where you have to come up with an experiment. HOW DO WE DO THIS??? It always gets me low marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gulzar)
    There is always a huge question in g484 papers where you have to come up with an experiment. HOW DO WE DO THIS??? It always gets me low marks
    In short, learn the experiment and it's method. They're usually things like how would you find this shc of water etc etc, they are 4/5 marks that are very easy to lose if you don't learn them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b4tman)
    In short, learn the experiment and it's method. They're usually things like how would you find this shc of water etc etc, they are 4/5 marks that are very easy to lose if you don't learn them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where can you learn them from, if I had gotten the Questions correct on Practicals I would have got an A, but I did much much worse.

Because the practicals aren't in the book?

If find them really challenging, but will do whatever it takes to learn how to answer them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Better)
    Where can you learn them from, if I had gotten the Questions correct on Practicals I would have got an A, but I did much much worse.

Because the practicals aren't in the book?

If find them really challenging, but will do whatever it takes to learn how to answer them
    Past papers, text books etc.. If you look through they do pop up often, use the mark scheme and "build" a model answer that you memorise

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b4tman)
    Past papers, text books etc.. If you look through they do pop up often, use the mark scheme and "build" a model answer that you memorise

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perfect thanks so much mate. You have literally saved me from getting a bad grade in Physics.

I'll do all the Questions - Hand them to my Teacher.

Then Copy and Paste The Essay Style Answers into one word document for Phys 4 and 5, which I will memorize/understand and then read before I go into the exam aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a list of the experiments we need to know (the big 4/5/6 mark questions?)
    Also- can anyone explain jan12 question 2cii?

ReputationRep:
    This thread is dead. Come on guys!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreayshawn)
    Is there a list of the experiments we need to know (the big 4/5/6 mark questions?)
    Also- can anyone explain jan12 question 2cii?
    F = 0.25N

W = Fd P = W/t P=Fd/t

d = A = 1.8mm

1/f = T T = 1/2.4x103 = 4.17x10-4s

BUT to get from equilibrium position it is T/4 = 4.17x10-4s/4 = 1.04x10-4s

P = (0.25*1.8x10-3)/1.04x10-4 = 4.32W

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gulzar)
    Just mention everything:

Equipment used.
    Measurements taken.
    Calculations made.
    How conclusion is formed.
    Limitations/errors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll be taking this exam for the first time, I haven't actually started revision yet :| I'm retaking G485 so I'm concentrating on that. I did two mocks at school and got A* in both but that was over a month ago so I really need a massive recap -_- urgh. I bet I'll do worse in the exam than in the mocks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.