The Student Room Group

Best textbook to self teach A level maths from

As I am going further and further into A level maths eg nearly finishing C2 Edexcel book, I am finding the book isn't sufficient to learn from on my own.. I am coming across new maths which I haven't covered before and am finding it difficult to learn it from the edexcel book from scratch...

Does anyone recommend a better textbook to self teach this level of maths.. it doesn't matter if it doesn't follow the A level syllabus as I am learning to get up to a certain level before embarking on a 2nd level OU course, so understanding rather than just knowing how to pass an exam would be better thanks....
Reply 1
Perhaps one of the CGP books, or if you want to go other concepts there are lots of sites on the internet for that like Khan academy, which doesn't follow the UK syllabus but has all the concepts introduced in Core and Further Pure modules.
Reply 3

Yea, I have that exact book. I think it'll be a rather good supplement to the main Edexcel textbooks.
Reply 4
Original post by Blackcat99
As I am going further and further into A level maths eg nearly finishing C2 Edexcel book, I am finding the book isn't sufficient to learn from on my own.. I am coming across new maths which I haven't covered before and am finding it difficult to learn it from the edexcel book from scratch...

Does anyone recommend a better textbook to self teach this level of maths.. it doesn't matter if it doesn't follow the A level syllabus as I am learning to get up to a certain level before embarking on a 2nd level OU course, so understanding rather than just knowing how to pass an exam would be better thanks....

Not sure about books but this website really helped. I know it probably seems really expensive but it pulled my grade up from a D to a B.
http://www.livemaths.co.uk
Reply 5
Original post by 0x2a
Yea, I have that exact book. I think it'll be a rather good supplement to the main Edexcel textbooks.

Thanks!
Reply 6
those big as/a2 textbooks I regret not fully using those.
Reply 7

I prefer the individual CGP textbooks for each module, rather than the general overview, I feel there is more depth and more possibilities covered with the individual books. But it will cost a bit more, I have 5 cgp books just for AS maths and further maths
Reply 8
I'm not certain if you are looking for a book to cover c2 more intensively or one to cover c3, c4. I find that this book is very good http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Mathematics-C3-David-Rayner/dp/1902214463/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365505150&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=pure+mathematics+c3+c4+rayner+raul+williams

They make a similar one for C1 and C2.

It still is a revision guide, but it describes the most important formulas and give examples and lots of assignments to practise on.
Reply 9
Thanks - I just purchased the revision guide and the CGP C2 textbook as well, it seemed to be a little clearer than the normal green edexcel book - will see how I get on with those.. have just ordered the Paul Williams books as well :smile:
Reply 10
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introducing-Pure-Mathematics-Robert-Smedley/dp/0199148031/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365515937&sr=8-3&keywords=understanding+pure+mathematics

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Pure-Mathematics-A-Sadler/dp/0199142432/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365515937&sr=8-1&keywords=understanding+pure+mathematics

I bought the second one recently, quite a good book. You can find it online somewhere.
The first one I borrowed from my local library, and it was fab for C1. Ended up getting 70/72 in C1 through continuous use of that. Both books are relatively old so might be a little harder to use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Mathematics-C1-David-Rayner/dp/1902214455/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365516068&sr=1-3&keywords=pure+mathematic

As someone else suggested, this one is great aswell, teacher uses it at school for questions. If I remember correctly, it has tons of examples/questions.
Reply 12
Thanks, will have a look at the new books that have been mentioned :smile:
I self teach using these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advancing-Maths-AQA-Pure-Core/dp/0435513303/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1365548292&sr=8-13&keywords=a+level+maths+aqa

But also, www.examsolutions.net is an amazing website which has helped a lot and will no doubt help you understand more of the difficult topics.
My Mini Book Review!

Bostock and Chandler Core maths:
Stunning book but not flashy enough for some students. I love it and still read this and the Orange FM one.
The applied units are beautiful too and so cheap second hand

C4 Longman Edexcel/OCR 2004 spec Book (Black)
Excellenet and some older harder questions although some not applicable anymore. Good as it has C1/C2 and C3/C4 together.

Pledger Series Edexcel Books
Students like them, the have a great CD with worked solutions for self study and have some old exam questions. Down sides? riddled with errors, glss over topics and can make things very over complicated on some topics.

New CGP books
Really impressed especially with applied units and very happy with them

Oxford Press books
C1/C2 and C3/C4 are awesome and have a pdf ebook copy. Extension blue flash questions, different approaches and well laid out.
The M1 book is good, the M2 awful but overall quite nice and IME better than the Pledger.

MEI structured maths
Generally shocking for self study unless you are a conceptual god who just sees things.

Elmwood Press books
Very good, not fashionable but some quirky questions that keep things interesting.

Cambridge Advanced for OCR
Someone likes willy wanging and IMO doesn't help students. There is being 'in depth' and then there is being OTT. The books are rehashed time and time again with new covers.

I would say combine your resources. Books, pdf, videos (which my pupils have found useful it seems) and old materials from previous exams can all help.
Reply 15

Have added this one to the buying list as well- looks like a lot of people rate it quite well for self study :smile: Going to end up with tons of maths books at this rate lol
Reply 16
For interest around the subject, not just "learn to pass the exam", I recommend "How to Think like a Mathematician" http://www.amazon.com/How-Think-Like-Mathematician-Undergraduate/dp/052171978X which is really good for some of the basic concepts of maths that aren't taught (or are taught oddly) at A-level, like functions, sets, and the construction of a proof. There's some number theory and logic in there, and it's all explained well.
Reply 17

Might be different for C2, but to self-teach FP1, I'm using the Edexcel textbook and examsolutions.co.uk, and together they seem to cover most things in enough depth. :smile:
Also, if you have a subscription to it, mymaths is very good for C2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
2016 whats new . :biggrin:
Reply 19
what textbook should i use for new spec

Quick Reply

Latest