The Student Room Group

Visible light spectroscopy

Hi
We did a colorimetry experiment on different strengths of a solution and used the strongest solution to find out which wavelength gave the highest absorbance. This wavelength was then selected to analyse the absorbance of all the other strength solutions and the unknown.
I don't know and can't find why the wavelength that gives the highest absorbance for the strongest solution was the one that was used for the others.
Please help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SmegSlayer
Hi
We did a colorimetry experiment on different strengths of a solution and used the strongest solution to find out which wavelength gave the highest absorbance. This wavelength was then selected to analyse the absorbance of all the other strength solutions and the unknown.
I don't know and can't find why the wavelength that gives the highest absorbance for the strongest solution was the one that was used for the others.
Please help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be obvious..... It will give the most accurate results as spectrometer is most sensitive for the compound at that wavelength.
Reply 2
Thank you but don't be so condescending. It wasn't obvious to me and it wasn't mentioned why during the practical and I haven't been able to find it in my research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest