The Student Room Group

The Great Gatsby

When does Gatsby reach a crisis point in the novel?

Could I argue that it is from the moment that he reunited with Daisy because he realises she is not all he thought she was?
Reply 1
I see where you're coming from, but I personally would say it is a little later, when all the main characters join together for dinner and then go for a drive. To me, the thing you mentioned is more like the cracks starting to show, with Gatsby's showdown with Tom the final nail in the coffin - the point of no return, as it were.

However, your argument is equally valid and you could build up a fantastic case for it.
I think the climax is when Myrtle dies. Without her dying, Gatsby wouldn't die. Tom & Daisy wouldn't move away and Nick & Jordan may of stayed together.

The Great Gatsby is a great novel for debates.
Reply 3
Original post by KirstBarlow
The Great Gatsby is a great novel for debates.

Very true. :yep:

I think that's the climax of the novel but for me, because it is Nick is telling the story and we don't get Gatsby's firsthand experiences of this, that is not a personal crisis for him, even though he is present at the time. And we could say that if the confrontation between Tom and Gatsby hadn't have happened, then Daisy wouldn't have run Myrtle over, but then that confrontation wouldn't have happened without Gatsby being officially reunited with Daisy...

... all proving that there is no right answer. I remember when I first read the book, it seemed pretty straight forward until I started really thinking about it.

Also, I don't think Nick and Jordan would stayed/ properly got together even if Myrtle hadn't died. I always thought Nick couldn't be with Jordan because he disapproved - however hypocritically - of her carelessness and dishonesty.
Original post by dark-blue
Very true. :yep:

I think that's the climax of the novel but for me, because it is Nick is telling the story and we don't get Gatsby's firsthand experiences of this, that is not a personal crisis for him, even though he is present at the time. And we could say that if the confrontation between Tom and Gatsby hadn't have happened, then Daisy wouldn't have run Myrtle over, but then that confrontation wouldn't have happened without Gatsby being officially reunited with Daisy...

... all proving that there is no right answer. I remember when I first read the book, it seemed pretty straight forward until I started really thinking about it.

Also, I don't think Nick and Jordan would stayed/ properly got together even if Myrtle hadn't died. I always thought Nick couldn't be with Jordan because he disapproved - however hypocritically - of her carelessness and dishonesty.

I do agree with your opinion & I think that's probably the only one that could really draw me away from my own. There are so many moments that can cause a 'will this happen without that?' And I think that's why it's such an incredible book. Every aspect is important whether we realise it or not. I think I do agree with you that chapter 7's argument holds the most significant parts of the novel and without we would lose a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending