The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Miles
I'd rather lectures personally. The PBL I've seen (which admittedly is probably about one session!) involved skating over concepts we didn't really understand and basically tried to teach us to run before we could walk.

a comment by a lecturer had t'other day was that PBL often requires students to have already done half the work before the session. however, as alot of students (myself included) wouldn't dream of such anality, it means that the session is filled with teaching those who know nothing, rather than refining and furthering those that know something.
Reply 41
Robot Chicken
a comment by a lecturer had t'other day was that PBL often requires students to have already done half the work before the session. however, as alot of students (myself included) wouldn't dream of such anality, it means that the session is filled with teaching those who know nothing, rather than refining and furthering those that know something.

Hmm - may be BL is just filled with anal people - given PBL learnt information is fair game in exams, most people take it seriously...

Or you a) have no idea what you're talking about and b) have a slightly random chip on your shoulder about it...

The above really isn't meant in insult, but PBL done properly (and I accept there are places that really don't do it properly, or commit the time and resource in continual development) is great... Actually - I guess part of the fun is other peoples misconceptions, espeically when on the wards... I love it when a consultant assumes we 'do not know any anatomy' etc. as it's soooo easy to leave them speechless...
Random comment: fluffy you sound like my career adviser.

Well I guess part of the problem with pbl is people generally look down upon it. Its not like I'm an expert on pbl but form a layman perspective pbl looked like one of those things that are great on paper but when it comes to it; it just doesnt work. Prolly 'cause I'm very cynical.
Reply 43
PBL is the antithesis of everything that is good and pure.
Reply 44
hakking
Random comment: fluffy you sound like my career adviser.

Well I guess part of the problem with pbl is people generally look down upon it. Its not like I'm an expert on pbl but form a layman perspective pbl looked like one of those things that are great on paper but when it comes to it; it just doesnt work. Prolly 'cause I'm very cynical.

Actuall PBL isn't generally looked down upon - it's looked down upon mostly by people who have nothing to do with it.

Lots of people specifically choose PBL courses. I did (although my other main choice was a non-PBL). After a degree and research career I couldn't think of anything more tedious, didactic and unmotivating as being sat in lectures eating what you're fed... Yes, you need motivation for PBL, but then again, you need motivation for practice too - unless patients have recently started presenting telling you exactly what is wrong with them, and taking out the problem solving leg room :wink:

All pre-clinical PBL does is takes the main manner of clinical teaching - i.e. the problem based bit (where the 'problems' are real patients), and fitting it around a fabricated scenario designed to encompase the basic science required... You do not miss anything on a PBL course, it is not a weaker course, it's just a different method of delivery.

Interestingly nearly all date produced on PBL - from Canada, the US and Europe shows that all though traditional graduates know more and can recall more facts upon graduation - 5 years later, it's the PBL students who have the greater recall of medical school material...
Reply 45
Bloody hell Fluffy, give it a rest - you're like a broken PBL record, I don't want it, give me my spoon and feed me ! :p:
Reply 46
Fluffy
Actuall PBL isn't generally looked down upon - it's looked down upon mostly by people who have nothing to do with it.

Lots of people specifically choose PBL courses. I did (although my other main choice was a non-PBL). After a degree and research career I couldn't think of anything more tedious, didactic and unmotivating as being sat in lectures eating what you're fed... Yes, you need motivation for PBL, but then again, you need motivation for practice too - unless patients have recently started presenting telling you exactly what is wrong with them, and taking out the problem solving leg room :wink:

All pre-clinical PBL does is takes the main manner of clinical teaching - i.e. the problem based bit (where the 'problems' are real patients), and fitting it around a fabricated scenario designed to encompase the basic science required... You do not miss anything on a PBL course, it is not a weaker course, it's just a different method of delivery.

Interestingly nearly all date produced on PBL - from Canada, the US and Europe shows that all though traditional graduates know more and can recall more facts upon graduation - 5 years later, it's the PBL students who have the greater recall of medical school material...

PBL is ideal for you because you already had a very solid scientific background, and therefore had little to gain from doing the same stuff all over again. I'm not convinced it's as brilliant for people who have just left school and don't really know anything about the medical sciences.

As for "all the data produced on PBL", this is news to me. When I went to the Manchester open day, the head of the med school openly admitted that we didn't know what PBL graduates would be like, but he did say that preliminary findings indicated better communications skills and less knowledge. I think if PBL produced more competent doctors he would have said so. For the meantime, PBL is an unproven method of teaching - undoubtedly with benefits, but probably not without its shortcomings either.
Reply 47
Fluffy
All pre-clinical PBL does is takes the main manner of clinical teaching - i.e. the problem based bit (where the 'problems' are real patients), and fitting it around a fabricated scenario designed to encompase the basic science required...

Yes, and this is the problem. Clinical teaching has a reputation for being badly organised and often badly taught. Sometimes you really are better off being taught by an academic. I can only imagine what it would have been like being taught pharmacokinetics in a PBL session. :confused:
Reply 48
sTe\/o
Yes, and this is the problem. Clinical teaching has a reputation for being badly organised and often badly taught. Sometimes you really are better off being taught by an academic. I can only imagine what it would have been like being taught pharmacokinetics in a PBL session. :confused:

Ahh! And there's you second misconception.

We're taught pharmacokinetics in lectures (and practicals)... There's no such thing as a 100% PBL course - that would be a little brave...
Reply 49
Fluffy
Ahh! And there's you second misconception.

We're taught pharmacokinetics in lectures (and practicals)... There's no such thing as a 100% PBL course - that would be a little brave...

Be quiet, I like my story better.
Fluffy
Hmm - may be BL is just filled with anal people - given PBL learnt information is fair game in exams, most people take it seriously...

Or you a) have no idea what you're talking about and b) have a slightly random chip on your shoulder about it...

The above really isn't meant in insult, but PBL done properly (and I accept there are places that really don't do it properly, or commit the time and resource in continual development) is great... Actually - I guess part of the fun is other peoples misconceptions, espeically when on the wards... I love it when a consultant assumes we 'do not know any anatomy' etc. as it's soooo easy to leave them speechless...

There's something about postgrads that makes them work their arse off, and really get involved in PBL. You've done a few degrees before haven't you...

PBL really punishes those who don't attend, way too much in my opinion.
and i'm what one might call a poor attender. hell, i'm sat at home right now instead of a rheumatology clinic.
Reply 51
Robot Chicken
There's something about postgrads that makes them work their arse off, and really get involved in PBL. You've done a few degrees before haven't you...

I have yes, but I'm not talking about myself - I'm talking about my class mates and other members of my PBL groups, both current and past...

PBL really punishes those who don't attend, way too much in my opinion.
and i'm what one might call a poor attender. hell, i'm sat at home right now instead of a rheumatology clinic.

Then that's your problem. i don't think that's big or clever. If you can't be arsed to turn up, then don't - but equally, never forget that there are about 10 people who would kill to be where you are, and didn't get the chance. Also - it's not really good practice to do **** all, and won't stand you in good stead for when you are qualified... No one likes a arse who can't be arsed, no matter what the reason...

So what's yours? Above going/so cleaver you don't need to see patients when you could read about them the night before an exam? Or just lazy?

And no one forces people to apply to PBL courses.. if you're a lazy tyrd, then it probably isn't for you...
Reply 52
Where's the love?
Fluffy
I have yes, but I'm not talking about myself - I'm talking about my class mates and other members of my PBL groups, both current and past...

Then that's your problem. i don't think that's big or clever. If you can't be arsed to turn up, then don't - but equally, never forget that there are about 10 people who would kill to be where you are, and didn't get the chance. Also - it's not really good practice to do **** all, and won't stand you in good stead for when you are qualified... No one likes a arse who can't be arsed, no matter what the reason...

So what's yours? Above going/so cleaver you don't need to see patients when you could read about them the night before an exam? Or just lazy?

And no one forces people to apply to PBL courses.. if you're a lazy tyrd, then it probably isn't for you...

umm...I'm going to get back to this essay now, leave you to calm down...
Reply 54
Robot Chicken
umm...I'm going to get back to this essay now, leave you to calm down...

No need to clam down - you're not bothering me. I just think your attitude leaves a lot to be desired...

So how are your time-management skills? Could you not have fitted your essay around scheduled clinic time?
Fluffy
No need to clam down - you're not bothering me. I just think your attitude leaves a lot to be desired...

So how are your time-management skills? Could you not have fitted your essay around scheduled clinic time?

My time-management skils are generally acceptable (i.e. not great but ok) but what with exams coming up plus having a million and one additions (finalising elective accomodation, getting my teeth fixed pre-elective, travel vaccinations, osce revision days etc etc).
I do my time in the hospital, more than most usually. But i am quite lax with symposias. which doesn't matter because i can get the lecture handouts online and work through them with emedicine and kumar and clark. throw pbl in though and the handouts are scenarios without answers. very hard to utilise.

Anywho, essay finished, now orf to the dentists.
Reply 56
Oo this is turning into a Med Teaching slinging match....

All medical schools utilise both teaching methods to a certain extent and I think people benefit from different levels of each method; every one is different and trying to find an answer to "which method is better" is about as silly as "which is the best food in the world?" .... after all... everyone feels different about things... and too much of one thing is dreadful and repetitive!
OK, anyone else in london seriously ****** off at TfL? Summer happens every year. We know this from historical records. So why is it every bloody year that they all but cancel every sodding tube train because of 'heat related problems'.
I've just lost my ruddy dentists appointment through no fault of my own adn will have to pay £20 for the privlege.
Reply 58
Go stuck on a tube coming back from Whitechapel this afternoon - nearly died! It's all very well the driver telling you how important it is to drink water, but no bloody use if you're stuck underground without any!

I'm desicated!
Fluffy
Go stuck on a tube coming back from Whitechapel this afternoon - nearly died! It's all very well the driver telling you how important it is to drink water, but no bloody use if you're stuck underground without any!

I'm desicated!

You know, if they lower the ceiling in tube trains by 5 cm, and the average tube carriage is 1m by say 20m, then they would have an area large enough to carry 1000 litres of water. more than enough of a resevoir to have a tap in a carriage or two. Sure the water would be warm, but warm water is better than no water.

Latest

Trending

Trending