The Student Room Group

Second degree maintenance loan, part time?

Am I still eligible for a maintenance loan if I am studying via Open University, but choosing to study this way because of a health condition? If this is correct who do I have to send medical evidence to and what is the application process?

Thanks.
Original post by friedeggs
Am I still eligible for a maintenance loan if I am studying via Open University, but choosing to study this way because of a health condition? If this is correct who do I have to send medical evidence to and what is the application process?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Did you previous gain a qualification or had your previous course? And when does the new course start? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Hi,

Yes I did gain a qualification. I would be looking at studying Environmental Science this year, which is a second degree exemption course.

Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

Did you previous gain a qualification or had your previous course? And when does the new course start? Thanks, Jason
Hi,

Yes I did gain a qualification. I would be looking at studying Environmental Science this year, which is a second degree exemption course.

Hi there,

We normally don't fund second degrees unless it's one of our exception courses. If the course is an exception course, you would need to apply on the part time application and then send your medical evidence to show you're doing the course distance learning due to a disability. The team will then advise if this has been accepted or not to award the Part Time Maintenance Loan.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

We normally don't fund second degrees unless it's one of our exception courses. If the course is an exception course, you would need to apply on the part time application and then send your medical evidence to show you're doing the course distance learning due to a disability. The team will then advise if this has been accepted or not to award the Part Time Maintenance Loan.

Thanks,
Claire

Thanks for the reply.

Environmental Science at Open University is an exception course. So I just need to apply for a part time maintenance loan and then send evidence in at a later date?
Thanks for the reply.

Environmental Science at Open University is an exception course. So I just need to apply for a part time maintenance loan and then send evidence in at a later date?

Hi there,

Yes, that's right - if your course begins in the 23/24 year we'd recommend making an application now.

When you apply you can indicated that you want to apply for the Maintenance Loan, and our assessors will then tell you what to send.

Just to give you an idea: we normally need a letter from a GP or medical professional confirming what your condition is, and that it prevents you from physically attending university.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Yes, that's right - if your course begins in the 23/24 year we'd recommend making an application now.

When you apply you can indicated that you want to apply for the Maintenance Loan, and our assessors will then tell you what to send.

Just to give you an idea: we normally need a letter from a GP or medical professional confirming what your condition is, and that it prevents you from physically attending university.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Thanks for the info and clarifying.
Thanks for the info and clarifying.

You're welcome. Any further questions then do let us know. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending