The Student Room Group

Transfer Medical Schools

Hi, I am currently a first year medical student and extremely unhappy at my university to the point is it affecting my mental health. Constantly having to battle anxiety it has become exhausting. Is it possible to transfer to a different medical school? I don't mind repeating year 1.
(edited 1 year ago)
no
UK medical schools don't accept transfers apart from existing agreed partnerships (St Andrews with their partners and Oxford with the London unis). They also do not normally consider an application from anyone currently on any other UK medical course, and they generally will not accept an application from anyone who has ever started but not completed a medical degree elsewhere. Essentially, if you leave a medical degree you are blacklisted by UK medical schools - it's extremely expensive to train medical students and so they don't take people who start and don't complete the course. Equally they don't accept students from other medical schools as transfers (for first year study or otherwise).

Your options are essentially continue at your medical school or leave medicine. You may want to focus on discussing ways to manage the issue at your current medical school directly rather than avoiding it by looking at trying to go to another medical school (where I'd note it's also entirely possible the same issue would arise anyway). So speak with your personal tutor about the issue(s) and seek support from your uni student support services and/or your GP as appropriate.
Reply 3
Original post by pinkcandyfloss03
Hi, I am currently a first year medical student and extremely unhappy at my university to the point is it affecting my mental health. Constantly having to battle anxiety it has become exhausting. Is it possible to transfer to a different medical school? I don't mind repeating year 1.

Hi, Sorry you are not happy. To be in your position must be awful and very distressing. Every other course, law, maths, science it is pretty easy to leave and start again elsewhere. It is quite normal to want to change university and I know lots of people (not on medicine) who have done so.
You have worked hard to get into medicine and if you need to change then I think there should be a way to do so. You really will need support. I think it is absolutely fine and necessary to talk to your tutors about how you are feeling and to be honest with them. The older adults around really do want to support you and will not be judging you - even if you think they are. You are young and the older professionals will want to help you find your path through this.
I have looked into starting medicine again and as far as I know, the only way to do so is to be a very strong candidate and re-apply from scratch.
You will need to do the UCAT and BMAT and apply again with all the uncertainty that brings. Sadly, mainly the artful_lounger is correct. Most medical schools will not accept a student who has started and left. I like to think it is possible. UCAS are quite happy for you to re-apply to medicine and I really recommend you call them. Go through as a teacher and talk to them - they are really nice. You may need to talk to them a few times.

I would need to do some more research to see which medical schools may consider you. I know BSMS wouldn't. Most medical schools have that policy of not accepting second goes at medicine - but not all of them have that policy. Look at the websites - you will get used to finding where to look.
Before taking such a risk you need to think about how strong a candidate you are. If you are one of the strongest then you may manage it - even then it is v hard. And you are losing a few years. Before making such a big decision I would find an alternative medical school that will sponsor you through this who is happy to look at your application afresh on the same level as other new applicants.
The other thing to say is... even though you are finding it v hard now. If you are able to carry on where you are with some support then it may be that in year 3 - 5 you have a different experience as the structure of the course changes. Or your medical school may let you start year one again - in case that helps. I know it may not. It may be that the place you are at is just not what you were expecting and is just not for you. So sorry that are finding it hard like this. You are not the only medical student in this position. Sorry it is difficult to advise when I know so little about you. I hope this feels supportive and you are able to navigate through this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending