The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is it possible to change course choice?

I have a conditional offer of AAB for Psychology but I have been looking at the Social Anthropology course and it looks really interesting! How difficult is it to try and change courses? Do I have to wait until results day or when I am actually at Manchester? (if I get the grades of course haha)
If you really want to change, it's better to ask now and see if they'll let you.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
IT is definitely possible (trust me I changed multiple times:/) but you should definitely email the department now. explaining asking if it's possible and why you want to do it. Mine was very straightforward and they just changed my ucas within a week, however they might ask for a new personal statement etc. It's alot easier if they are in the same department, definitely email!
Original post by tillytots
IT is definitely possible (trust me I changed multiple times:/) but you should definitely email the department now. explaining asking if it's possible and why you want to do it. Mine was very straightforward and they just changed my ucas within a week, however they might ask for a new personal statement etc. It's alot easier if they are in the same department, definitely email!

Ohh, what were your changes?
Reply 4
Original post by ellakrystina
Ohh, what were your changes?

History of art and french, to french and russian, to single honours french. Quite a long one!
Reply 5
Wait until you're in. It's much easier to change once UCAS (and the University's obligation to it) is over.
Reply 6
Since psychology is in a different department to the sociology it's a little more difficult. Despite what someone has said above do not wait until you get in.

I wanted to change from maths to economics and told them in February of my first year hoping to re-enter econ the following September but was unable to because the course was full by then.

Changing within a department is easy ie Psychology to Psychology with neuroscience would be easy it;s just because you are going from life sciences to humanities which is where the difficulty comes from.
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Wait until you're in. It's much easier to change once UCAS (and the University's obligation to it) is over.

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Would expect more than a one word post from a moderator?
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Would expect more than a one word post from a moderator?

No, no and no?

In all seriousness I'm not a mod I'm a community assistant (there is a difference) and I'm on my phone so unlikely to type out a long response.

In response to you're original point, you're better of talking to them now as
A) you don't want to miss the start of your new course
B) you don't want to get there and discover that you can't change
C) you want to get in there before places are filled in clearing / adjustment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
amyeldr3d
I have a conditional offer of AAB for Psychology but I have been looking at the Social Anthropology course and it looks really interesting! How difficult is it to try and change courses? Do I have to wait until results day or when I am actually at Manchester?

To briefly summarise what's been said - ask the admissions department on the best course of action. This is especially true since the two courses you are considering are ran by different schools, which can make life complicated if you want to switch whilst you are here.

If you are looking to switch courses in the same school though, there's a lot more flexibility as to when you can do it. In The School of Maths, they prefer people switching courses within the department to do it after they've registered onto the course, as it's a bit of a pain to do it at the UCAS stage.

Here's the page to contact them.

http://www.psych-sci.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/contact

I hope this helps.

Darren
Reply 11
Thanks very much for the advice, I'll get in touch with them asap :smile:
Reply 12
amyeldr3d
Thanks very much for the advice, I'll get in touch with them asap :smile:

You're welcome. Just to add - email them first to save the pennies.

If they don't get back within the week (they should - the university is usually quite efficient) then ring them.

Feel free to quote me for a response or if you have any other questions about The University of Manchester.

Darren
Provided you have the entry requirements, can give a convincing reason and the new course is not massively oversubscribed, then usually yes.

A friend has just switched from (I think) Law/Criminology to English/Philosophy. Quite a jump!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending