The Student Room Group

I want to change course but it's really confusing and scary.

Hello, I've recently come to the conclusion that the course that I applied for this year, medicine, is not something I want to do anymore and so I am planning to decline my offer. I haven't chosen course to do instead but I have narrowed it down to computer science, computer engineering or electrical engineering.

I received an offer from my 5th choice which was biomedical engineering at QMUL, and I want to contact them to see if I can change to a different engineering course. However, I don't know how to go about this i.e. should I contact them as soon as possible? Is it even possible to change course from an offer I have already received? Should Should I decline my offers and just wait for clearing?

Any information will be really helpful.

My predicted grades are:
Maths - A*
Chem - A*
Bio - A*
Reply 1
If QMUL offer the course you want, contact them asap tomorrow morning when Admissions reopens after the Bank Holiday.
If the Uni where you are holding your Med offer offers the course, you could ask for a course switch there as well.

Be aware that many courses are now closed and it may be that you have to look for a place in Extra at another University,
or you may need to plan a gap year and make a new application next year for 5 new choices - recommended, as you then have time to think calmly about what you want to do and why, and you can apply for 5 new choices.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
If QMUL offer the course you want, contact them asap tomorrow morning when Admissions reopens after the Bank Holiday.
If the Uni where you are holding your Med offer offers the course, you could ask for a course switch there as well.

Be aware that many courses are now closed and it may be that you have to look for a place in Extra at another University,
or you may need to plan a gap year and make a new application next year for 5 new choices - recommended, as you then have time to think calmly about what you want to do and why, and you can apply for 5 new choices.

Thanks, I will contact them first thing in the morning. I read from somewhere that in UCAS extra they will be able to see my previous choices and personals statement, will that affect my chances since my previous course isn't related?

Also, I really don't want to take a gap year but if it is something I have to do then I will, but I will also use the remaining time until clearing opens to reaffirm my decision.
Reply 3
Original post by Shaakz
Thanks, I will contact them first thing in the morning. I read from somewhere that in UCAS extra they will be able to see my previous choices and personals statement, will that affect my chances since my previous course isn't related?

Yes they can - but it doesnt matter, they just want to fill their course.
Medics without a place is a very common situation.

You may need to write a new PS for a different subject and send this directly to that Uni - phone/email to check if a course is till open before you apply through Extra and ask about this. As an example, at Bath, both 'Electrical and Electronic Engineering' and 'Robotics Engineering' are still open but would require a new PS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending