The Student Room Group

Going to insurance on results day

Hi all

Is it possible to go to your insurance choice on results day if it’s still in clearing? Of course I would need to call them etc but would it be possible or would they not let you in even if they have vacancies since you insured them
Original post by StonePone
Hi all

Is it possible to go to your insurance choice on results day if it’s still in clearing? Of course I would need to call them etc but would it be possible or would they not let you in even if they have vacancies since you insured them

If your course is in clearing then it is possible. The following is taken from the UCAS Clearing 2023 FAQ and Help Megathread:

I have been accepted by my firm but I now want to go to my insurance, what do I do?
You would need to follow the same steps as above, as once you have met the conditions of your firm choice, your insurance offer ceases to exist. You would initially need to contact the insurance choice to explain the situation, and see if they still have places and would be willing to consider you.

TSR recommends you do this in advance of results day for the best chance of securing a spot at your insurance university. If your grades come through and match your firm offer, your insurance choice will already be allocating your space to somebody else. We think it is worth reaching out to the insurance university ahead of results day to make clear that you want to come to them.

You must be aware that you may not be able to go to your insurance choice because that course is full and unavailable in Clearing.
If you have attained the grades for your firm choice uni then the expectation is that you will be going there. If you now don't want to go then you will need to reject the offer and go into clearing and apply to other unis - including your insurance. Best to call your insurance first to see if they have places before giving up your firm choice.
Original post by StonePone
Hi all

Hey there @StonePone !
Yes of course it is! You just reject the offer that your firm choice has offered you on your UCAS dashboard. I chose to go to my insurance choice rather than my firm and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. You won't regret it for sure. I decided a little bit earlier than results day that I'd prefer to go to my insurance so I just rang up UCAS and they sorted it for me, I'm unsure what the logistics of changing on the day is but if you rang up UCAS rather than emailing them then I'm sure they'd be able to assist you.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
The last day for a reply swap has passed. So in this case they would need to wait until their firm place is confirmed, then release themselves into clearing and hope their insurance will take them that way.
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @StonePone !
Yes of course it is! You just reject the offer that your firm choice has offered you on your UCAS dashboard. I chose to go to my insurance choice rather than my firm and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. You won't regret it for sure. I decided a little bit earlier than results day that I'd prefer to go to my insurance so I just rang up UCAS and they sorted it for me, I'm unsure what the logistics of changing on the day is but if you rang up UCAS rather than emailing them then I'm sure they'd be able to assist you.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Changing on the day involves placing yourself into clearing (assuming that you are unconditional with your firm choice) and then hoping that your insurance will honour their offer when added as a clearing choice.

it’s vitally important that OP talks to their insurance before doing this. If the course at the insurance choice isn’t in clearing then it won’t be possible at all without special arrangements. If the insurance university no longer wants to honour their earlier offer then they are under no obligation to take someone back on results day.

saying “yes of course it is” is quite misleading and unhelpful. Swapping before mid July is simple. Swapping on results day is not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending