The Student Room Group

Ordinary Degree but 2yrs teaching abroad with British Council; will I get on PGCE?

Hi

First of all I am new to the whole forum malarky so be gentle.

My dilemma is this:

I graduated from Sheffield Hallam in 2009 with an ordinary degree. It was not my intention but I got downgraded as one of my pieces of coursework was named as plagiarism in my 2nd year. It was a core module, research methods (basically a module about how to research) I naively took this as being an unimportant module and churned out some rubbish thinking it doesn't matter just get it done. My other modules were around the 2:1 2:2 mark consistently. I got told I would not be able to get an honours degree but still I went on to do my dissertation and complete my 3rd year (I wanted to at least test myself) and achieved a 2:1 mark for it.

I want to get onto a PGCE course in the next year but I know this mark for my degree will affect my application greatly. Will it be bolstered somewhat by the fact I have been teaching Adults and Teenagers English abroad for the last two years for the British Council or will this be overlooked? I'm looking into doing a PGCE in secondary Design Technology.

Any info on where I should go from here is very much welcomed!

Thank you all
Original post by mcroker1
Hi

First of all I am new to the whole forum malarky so be gentle.

My dilemma is this:

I graduated from Sheffield Hallam in 2009 with an ordinary degree. It was not my intention but I got downgraded as one of my pieces of coursework was named as plagiarism in my 2nd year. It was a core module, research methods (basically a module about how to research) I naively took this as being an unimportant module and churned out some rubbish thinking it doesn't matter just get it done. My other modules were around the 2:1 2:2 mark consistently. I got told I would not be able to get an honours degree but still I went on to do my dissertation and complete my 3rd year (I wanted to at least test myself) and achieved a 2:1 mark for it.

I want to get onto a PGCE course in the next year but I know this mark for my degree will affect my application greatly. Will it be bolstered somewhat by the fact I have been teaching Adults and Teenagers English abroad for the last two years for the British Council or will this be overlooked? I'm looking into doing a PGCE in secondary Design Technology.

Any info on where I should go from here is very much welcomed!

Thank you all

Hi :smile:
Being brutally honest I think you might find it a struggle. A lot of PGCE courses ask for a minimum of a 2:1 honours degree so I think you probably can't be too fussy about where you apply to. That said, I can't speak for every course so I'd really do your research about where you'd like to go to and contact the uni's directly via their admissions department. I think the fact that experience you have gained from your job will really work in your favour but ultimately, there are probably academic requirements you will need to meet too.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending