The Student Room Group

Teaching - Train in England but then move to Scotland?

Is it possible to get my PGCE in England, but then immediately move to Scotland straight afterward? I know you have to apply to their teaching council thing as QTS isn't used in Scotland, but can you do this straight after a PGCE, without doing the Early Careers Framework in England?
Original post by Uni_student3132
Is it possible to get my PGCE in England, but then immediately move to Scotland straight afterward? I know you have to apply to their teaching council thing as QTS isn't used in Scotland, but can you do this straight after a PGCE, without doing the Early Careers Framework in England?

Hi @Uni_student3132

I see your dilemma.

From my understanding, a PGCE is an internationally recognised qualification so I think you can use it almost anywhere to teach.

But so that you get the right information I cannot recommend Get Into Teaching enough. The advisors are so dedicated to helping trainee teachers that I would definitely get in contact with them here. https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/help-and-support

Also, I'm assuming you are a student, ask the careers team at your uni. You can usually book an appointment with them and send them a quick email beforehand,*outlining what your issue is, and then they will go away and research it for ready for when you meet up. My housemate who has QTS wants to do her ECT years abroad and she got some brilliant advice from our careers team so I do believe there must be something out there that answers your question!

Wishing you all the best:smile:

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Uni_student3132

I see your dilemma.

From my understanding, a PGCE is an internationally recognised qualification so I think you can use it almost anywhere to teach.

But so that you get the right information I cannot recommend Get Into Teaching enough. The advisors are so dedicated to helping trainee teachers that I would definitely get in contact with them here. https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/help-and-support

Also, I'm assuming you are a student, ask the careers team at your uni. You can usually book an appointment with them and send them a quick email beforehand,*outlining what your issue is, and then they will go away and research it for ready for when you meet up. My housemate who has QTS wants to do her ECT years abroad and she got some brilliant advice from our careers team so I do believe there must be something out there that answers your question!

Wishing you all the best:smile:

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep

I'll see if the careers team knows about it. The Get into Teaching advisors are an England-only thing so are likely not trained on the Scottish system, unfortunately.
So it seems upon digging around the many websites for teaching in Scotland (no idea why they can't have a simple website like England's Get into Teaching), but it seems that I should be able to apply to the teaching council as soon as I have QTS and beause I won't have taught in a school since being qualified, I'd be on the probation period (which all new teachers have to go through anyway, I think).

The only slight worry is the time it takes for an application to be processed. It can take up to 5 months, but considering PGCE courses end in June and Scottish schools start in August, I'm not entirely sure how that would work. Any ideas from anyone? Would I just not be able to teach in Scotland until the teaching council looked at my application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending