The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jo7777
Guys how do you find the minimum and maximum possible values of the midrange of a histogram?
Please help! :smile:
Q1: http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/2011_June_s1.pdf

0+3000/2 = 1500
and 1000+4000/2 = 2500 init
Can someone please help me regarding vertical line graphs... I have attached a pic of how I draw mine. Is that okay? Or do I have to make them chunkier to get the marks for mei S1? If that makes sense8) please help :smile: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369324820.712910.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by jo7777
the easiest one is (sum of x^2) - (n x mean^2)
divided by n-1
ALL SQUARED

I used that one on a question I just did, and the mark scheme said it was wrong, I'm so confused! :s-smilie:
Reply 63
Original post by tryingtolearn95
Can someone please help me regarding vertical line graphs... I have attached a pic of how I draw mine. Is that okay? Or do I have to make them chunkier to get the marks for mei S1? If that makes sense8) please help :smile: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369324820.712910.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

That looks fine :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by Mo_maths
0+3000/2 = 1500
and 1000+4000/2 = 2500 init

Ahh thanks :biggrin:
Reply 65
Original post by zangorou
I used that one on a question I just did, and the mark scheme said it was wrong, I'm so confused! :s-smilie:

You maybe put the numbers in wrong
What's the question and I'll see if I can help :smile:
Reply 66

It's not all squared, it's all square rooted! If that wasn't the error then check your values in the calculator again.
Reply 67
Original post by jo7777
You maybe put the numbers in wrong
What's the question and I'll see if I can help :smile:

Q2 part i

http://integralmaths.org/resources/file.php/25/papers/S1/2005_Jan.pdf

Reply 68

These are the formulas and when to use which one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by SonamH
These are the formulas and when to use which one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :biggrin:

The standard deviation is the same though, I don't understand why it's not working :frown:
Reply 70
If anyone's got any queries or questions that they are stuck on I'm free to help as I've finished my revision now!
Reply 71

Can't get on there - don't have an account :colondollar:
I just did another question & the median was n/2!! UGH. I always Guess for n+1/2. I figure that in Cumulative Frequency questions its just n/2.
Reply 73
Original post by TypoCool
If anyone's got any queries or questions that they are stuck on I'm free to help as I've finished my revision now!

what is the probability that the exam is difficult given the previous exam was easy? LOL :biggrin:
Reply 74
mathsq.png

Original post by jo7777
Can't get on there - don't have an account :colondollar:
Reply 75
what is the probability that the exam is difficult given the previous exam was easy? LOL :biggrin:

Lol, I'd say that it won't be too difficult! Not much more they can ask, take a look at the 2011 june series which is one of the harder ones, if you master that you' ll get an A for sure!
Reply 76
Original post by DarkWillow
I just did another question & the median was n/2!! UGH. I always Guess for n+1/2. I figure that in Cumulative Frequency questions its just n/2.

It is n+1 with frequency tables
And it is n with cumulative frequencies only
Reply 77
Original post by TypoCool
Lol, I'd say that it won't be too difficult! Not much more they can ask, take a look at the 2011 june series which is one of the harder ones, if you master that you' ll get an A for sure!

Yeah the old ones don't look that bad but I'm kinda worried that mei may mess up the wording again like in c2 an the other june 2013 papers
Reply 78
Yeah the old ones don't look that bad but I'm kinda worried that mei may mess up the wording again like in c2 an the other june 2013 papers

I have noticed that papers are becoming more wordy! But just remember that they want you to do all the things you've done in the mocks just in different situations and circumstances.
Reply 79
mathsq.png

So for i)
mean is 83.95/8 = 10.49
sum of squares:
all of the x values squared is 881.2119
881.2119 - 8 x 10.49^2 = 0.8911
0.8911/7 = 0.1273
square root of this is 0.357
so standard deviation is 0.357

Is that the correct answer?