The Student Room Group

AS Business Studies F292 MSDL June 2013 - Revision help!

Hi Guys

Basically struggling with revising for this F292 exam. I have the APT Initiatives Case Study Analysis but am not finding it concise enough for me to take enough of the info in.

If anyone has any revision notes specifically for this case study I would be really greatful!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

im strugging too, what are the KEY areas of revision for this exam? like cashflow? marketing issues? can someone let me know what they feel is most important? thanks!
Reply 2
I'd say the promotion/marketing of new products and the leadership styles which affect the MSDL workforce, Tony is more of a autocratic leader and from the case study i feel his father was paternalistic and the employees preferred that style. Reject rates could be due to decrease in motivation as Tony see's the employees as theory X and feels they need to be supervised 24/7. I personally see the employees as theory Y as they are a skilled workforce (one of the theory Y qualities) and want consultation and input. Tony sees bex as theory Y by giving her more jobs and motivating her (Job enrichment).

Marketing how the will promote the products, e-commerce, flyers, direct contact, trade fairs ect. how and which will benefit MSDL all keeping in line with Tony's plan to "keep costs low", so they should use below the line.

I haven't really done much on the MSDL stuff as I should have, it's so hard to revise for me, i can never be bothered :/ I really want to revise though.
Reply 3
Original post by username010
How would you answer this question, "Assess the extent to which MSDL demonstrates a customer orientation approach?" Would you just right about the advantages and disadvantages about customer and product orientation?

You'll define what both the orientations are is, talk about how MSDL is focused more upon product and not customer due to lack of research and how this could affect MSDL negatively compared to the goals they wish to achieve, talk about and focus a good bit on the research into demand and price eg " most pricing based on "guesswork". Staff don't support the approach of the new products.

product orientation MAY save costs in short run eg: no spending on research and prototypes BUT how in the long term it could be bad such as: no research= no demand= failure.

case study states limited funds so no promoiton/ research BUT the new products will require new equipment and training= big capital costs= if fails company has gone completely.

They should take into consideration, Customer requirments, competitor strengths, weaknesses ect. even if it means going to local g' centres and asking about products and pricing and the best sellers,

premium prices will it even sell? research.

Not very structured as it flowed of my head, you might be able to restructure and make use of it though!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
How would you answer this question, "Assess the extent to which MSDL demonstrates a customer orientation approach?" Would you just right about the advantages and disadvantages about customer and product orientation?

You would talk about the two orientation and then you should talk about how MSDL shows that its product orientated trather then customer orientate( for e.g. MSDL hasnt done any market research that asks cutomers about their needs and demands and are diversifying into a new market without much information on the customers choices. :smile:
Reply 5
Does anyone have any finance questions related to MSDL that may come on the exam?

Discuss the potential benefits to MSDL of setting up an effective system of budgetary control.

To what extent may cash flow considerations impact on MSDL's plan for the immediate future?

Evaluate the extent to which the concept of break even analysis is helpful as MSDL plan for the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

I have some for the other parts as well if you want ? :smile:
Reply 7
Could I have the questions for the other topics please ?

Do you know what might come up for the four mark calculation, leading to an essay question?

Marketing:

Discuss the importance of marketing objectives to MSDL

Discuss the changes that may be need to MSDL's marketing mix if the company adopts Tony's plans

Evaluate the importance of promotion in the marketing mix

People in the Organisation:

Explain the importance of effective leadership in MSDL's current position

Describe the methods by which MSDL could improve the motivation of the workforce

Evaluate the threats to the company posed by disatisified and demotivated workforce.

Production:
Evaluate the approach to quality taken by MSDL

Discusss the merits of MSDL working towards the adoption of lean production approach

To what extent might cell production help MSDL if they wish to improve productive effiecency.

I think for the 4 mrker leading upto the question will either be on Break even analysis for the products or PED but I am not completely sure.
Any idea on what are some market research methods that MSDL could use? (don't know if they will ask cuz it's F291 stuff) Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by confusedperson.
Any idea on what are some market research methods that MSDL could use? (don't know if they will ask cuz it's F291 stuff) Thanks!

I don't think so because the questions are so broad that you could talk about anything!!! And they will be probably be questions like evaluate how MSDL would benefit from market research :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
How could you link quality control and quality assurance to the case study?

In the question about production you could say that reject rated are high and to reduce reject rates and waste levels MSDL could use quality assurance or quality control!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
could you say that they are already using quality control because their reject rates are high and therefore, it would be better if they use quality assurance as they will be checking everything at each stage rather than at the end?

Yeah so you would say they appear to be using quality control and suggest another more effective way of lean production for e.g. quality assurance :smile:
Reply 12
hello

sort of struggling with the leadership style ect part of the case study may be in trouble if that comes up could anyone help at all ?

thank you
Reply 13
thank you
Reply 14
Original post by frosty122
hello

sort of struggling with the leadership style ect part of the case study may be in trouble if that comes up could anyone help at all ?

thank you

Yeah what do you need help with ? :smile:
Reply 15
hey can anyone help me with section 1 of the exam im pretty stuck as to what to revise
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by studentkk
hey can anyone help me with section 1 of the exam im pretty stuck as to what to revise

For that my teacher told me go over all my class notes as anything could come up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
if the four mark question was based on price elasticity of demand, what would the question be, and what would you write?

It would probably ask you to calculate PED by giving some more data.. Or it might ask for advantages or disadvantages... Nothing more :smile:
Reply 18
i mean what would the essay question be related to the price elasticity of demand and how would we link PED to MSDL?

It would probably ask us to calculate the PED and the next question would be probably something like Evaluate the consequences of elastic demand or other way round and then you would talk about how th market MSDL is diversifying into is a luxury market and considering that they did research from gardening magazine they do have competitiors. So having an elastic demand means that they will have to keep the prices low otherwise they will not attract customer.
it appears to be that MSDL plan to use cost plus pricing but in a luxury market with subsitutes that would be a huge financial risk considering MSDL dont have a brand awarness and no established customers for their new products... :smile:

Hope that makes a bit of sense :smile:
Reply 19
Does anyone know what the 20 marker may be on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending