The Student Room Group

EU lifts arms embargo on Syria rebels

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22684948

"European Union foreign ministers have agreed not to renew the union's arms embargo on the Syrian opposition.

But there was "no immediate decision to send arms" to Syrian rebels and all other sanctions remained in force, the UK Foreign Secretary William Hague said in a tweet.

The decision came after lengthy talks in Brussels.

A far-reaching package of sanctions against the government of Bashar al-Assad was due to expire on 1 June.

Britain and France had been pressing to send weapons to what they call moderate opponents of President Assad.

But other countries had opposed the move, saying it would only worsen the violence."

Seems like they took a middle path to satisfy the British and French government on this one................gonna guess the EU wont send arms as a union, but other nations may without being opposed?

Personally I don't know, even this "peace conference" seems like non-sense which is coming up, its been more than a year and I hardly think any side will come to a compromise, especially as Assad is strongly counterattacking on the gains by the rebels.................. Assad from my view doesn't want to go and I think any sort of peace deal with a election would be flawed with a lot of deep hostility with people.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iqbal007
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22684948

"European Union foreign ministers have agreed not to renew the union's arms embargo on the Syrian opposition.

But there was "no immediate decision to send arms" to Syrian rebels and all other sanctions remained in force, the UK Foreign Secretary William Hague said in a tweet.

The decision came after lengthy talks in Brussels.

A far-reaching package of sanctions against the government of Bashar al-Assad was due to expire on 1 June.

Britain and France had been pressing to send weapons to what they call moderate opponents of President Assad.

But other countries had opposed the move, saying it would only worsen the violence."

Oh the stupidity. Let's move one step closer to giving arms to potentially dangerous rebels we know very little about. Sounds like a brilliant idea, well done Brussels :congrats:
Reply 2
Deadlock, France and the UK in favour and Austria and others against. Lowest Common Denominator again.

They will renew the other bans, got til the end of the week before it all expires.

The USA was also applying pressure
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I don't get why "we" are helping either side? Just leave them all to it is the best option all round, surely?
Reply 4
Original post by Skip_Snip
I don't get why "we" are helping either side? Just leave them all to it is the best option all round, surely?

Its all about politics and interests and having influence in the future
Reply 5
Original post by OedipusTheKing
Oh the stupidity. Let's move one step closer to giving arms to potentially dangerous rebels we know very little about. Sounds like a brilliant idea, well done Brussels :congrats:

This. Even if they promise not to arm rebels that are openly affiliated with Al-Qaeda and whatever other groups there are out there, it's not like weapons can't be traded or scavenged. In all likelihood, this will bite us in the backside at some point in the future.
Reply 6
Its all about politics and interests and having influence in the future

I didn't think Syria "mattered" much when it comes to politics and influence. Apart from being good for oil ...
Reply 7
Original post by Skip_Snip
I didn't think Syria "mattered" much when it comes to politics and influence. Apart from being good for oil ...

Hence why, it would be bad if the rebels won and they hadn't helped them, they would look at them like a bit of a user, only there when they need something. They'll help them but for something in return in the future, and other sorts of influence, it would technically curb Iran's influence and stop technically stop Iran from supplying Hezbollah, etc.
Reply 8
Hence why, it would be bad if the rebels won and they hadn't helped them, they would look at them like a bit of a user, only there when they need something. They'll help them but for something in return in the future, and other sorts of influence, it would technically curb Iran's influence and stop technically stop Iran from supplying Hezbollah, etc.

Pft, let's just discover renewable energy and cut 'em loose :wink:
Reply 9
Not that I like Assad's regime, but I hope Russia keeps giving them support. Just to piss off the Americans and their pathetic attempts to gain another foothold of control in the world.
What sense is there in arming the rebels, more death, bloody battles, probably increased shelling of Lebanon, Syria and its allies growing dislike of the UK.

How about we left the whole thing alone?

If extremists blabber on about how western forces are in their lands etc, they cant possibly present the same argument of 'WHY U NO HELP'

It angers me, after things like Woolwich, that we still stick our noses into foreign affairs.
Reply 11
Brain dead beaurocratic cock suckers... They have no idea what theyre doing do they?
Original post by cl_steele
Brain dead beaurocratic cock suckers... They have no idea what theyre doing do they?

No, none, we should put you in charge, you seem to know how to fix the situation.
Original post by Kiss
Not that I like Assad's regime, but I hope Russia keeps giving them support. Just to piss off the Americans and their pathetic attempts to gain another foothold of control in the world.

If the EU starts openly supplying the 'Rebels', it just means Russia can start openly supplying abundant Kalashnikova and Katyusha to the SAA.

Resulting in a prolonged bloodbath.
Reply 14
Original post by 3 Phase Duck
No, none, we should put you in charge, you seem to know how to fix the situation.

Clearly better than they do, arming the terrorists... theyre pooring petrol onto a fire surrounding a butane tank and its the syrians civillians who will pay for this folly.

This is my opinion. Though I'm not 100% sure, it seems to me that rather than just being a single united rebel group (the FSA), what is in fact going on is that there are a number of rebel groups fighting the Assad regime instead, with some (who would've guessed :rolleyes: ) going along with strains of Islam which we would consider extreme.

Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't help the Syrian people in their quest for freedom from a dictatorship, but we should not do it in a way which could come back to bite us later on (say, for e.g. if an extremist groups used weapons which were either given to it or got to it from other groups to take over and create a Syria hostile to the west). Unfortunately due to the competition for influence in Syria between the West and the East (Russia, China), it's not going to happen that way.

Just my thoughts.
Reply 16
Far too late now should have started helping the rebels out from day one and maybe we would not be dealing with a bunch of Islamist lunatics now. Most of their support gave from the states in the area so what a surprise many of them turned Islamist and the extremist groups got the upper hand.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22688894

Seems that Russia are going to deliver defensive weaponry to the Syrian government now. Let's hope it actually deters Western countries from sticking their noses in where they don't belong.
Reply 18
This has been handed so so poorly. What a mess Syria and the ME is. Poor decision after poor decision.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22688894

Seems that Russia are going to deliver defensive weaponry to the Syrian government now. Let's hope it actually deters Western countries from sticking their noses in where they don't belong.

*Cue in Western countries sticking their noses in where they don't belong.
Reply 19
Russia competing in an arms race? We all know how that turned out :rolleyes:

This is stupid though, giving them guns and such wont encourage them to negotiate peacefully to end the conflict but simply encourage more conflict. Then of course like other people have said, you don't really know who you're supplying them to. Mujahideen 1980s maybe? :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending