The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Quality of Internet connection?

I'm going to be attending University of Birmingham starting October, I will be living at the university in accomodation.
I am wondering, from experience (at any university for that matter), can anyone tell me what the accomodation internet is like?

I'm wondering whether it's:

- reliable (any random disconnects/downtime?)
- suitable for gaming (good ping, reliable^)

I ask this mainly because I am in a long distance relationship, and internet connection is the only thing that keeps us together, and I'm really starting to worry (for no reason) about the internet I'll be provided.

Can anyone give me any insight? Even if it's not my particular university, I'm just curious as to the quality of general university accomodation internet connections.
Not at Birmingham, but uni internet tends to be ridiculously good.

Not complaining :tongue:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Not at Birmingham, but uni internet tends to be ridiculously good.

Not complaining :tongue:

Does that generally apply to most universities?

How is your connection in terms of reliability?
Reply 3
Original post by GeorgeGee
I'm going to be attending University of Birmingham starting October, I will be living at the university in accomodation.
I am wondering, from experience (at any university for that matter), can anyone tell me what the accomodation internet is like?

I'm wondering whether it's:

- reliable (any random disconnects/downtime?)
- suitable for gaming (good ping, reliable^)

I ask this mainly because I am in a long distance relationship, and internet connection is the only thing that keeps us together, and I'm really starting to worry (for no reason) about the internet I'll be provided.

Can anyone give me any insight? Even if it's not my particular university, I'm just curious as to the quality of general university accomodation internet connections.

I was in Pritchatts House, but i believe that this applies to all of the student halls. You get internet included within the price of accommodation. My room had a phone socket so it was cable internet. I dont know if any of the halls have wi-fi though.

The standard free internet was 10mbps. Very reliable. I dont remember it going down at all during the year I was there. And i dont remember it dropping below that either. It stayed fairly constant. They also provide options to upgrade, and i believe it goes up to 100mbps.
Does that generally apply to most universities?

How is your connection in terms of reliability?

As far as I know, yeah, that's pretty typical for "official" uni accommodation. If you're off campus in private halls or a house then obviously you won't be on the uni network so you'd be getting more normal speeds.

Very reliable. I can only remember one time the internet was down for more than a few minutes (and it going down at all is very rare anyway), and that was because in the course of doing some roadworks someone had drilled through the cable connecting my hall to the rest of the network (it's an off campus hall). Can't really blame the uni for that though.

If you're in a uni building then the internet will be somewhere between "perfectly fine" and "ridiculously amazing". I wouldn't worry about it :nah:
Reply 5
Original post by josh_v
I was in Pritchatts House, but i believe that this applies to all of the student halls. You get internet included within the price of accommodation. My room had a phone socket so it was cable internet. I dont know if any of the halls have wi-fi though.

The standard free internet was 10mbps. Very reliable. I dont remember it going down at all during the year I was there. And i dont remember it dropping below that either. It stayed fairly constant. They also provide options to upgrade, and i believe it goes up to 100mbps.

That's very reassuring for me. I should be living at Mason in the Vale, hopefully that'll be good too.

Original post by Potally_Tissed
As far as I know, yeah, that's pretty typical for "official" uni accommodation. If you're off campus in private halls or a house then obviously you won't be on the uni network so you'd be getting more normal speeds.

Very reliable. I can only remember one time the internet was down for more than a few minutes (and it going down at all is very rare anyway), and that was because in the course of doing some roadworks someone had drilled through the cable connecting my hall to the rest of the network (it's an off campus hall). Can't really blame the uni for that though.

If you're in a uni building then the internet will be somewhere between "perfectly fine" and "ridiculously amazing". I wouldn't worry about it :nah:

Good to hear.

I'd still like to hear other people's personal experiences :smile:
Reply 6
That's very reassuring for me. I should be living at Mason in the Vale, hopefully that'll be good too.

Well its the newest halls, so no doubt it will have just as good, if not better internet than I had.

Getting internet in the second year is a complete joke. Takes them seemingly months to come and fit it.

Edit: What is there to neg about this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Not sure if bumping is allowed, but yeah.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending