The Student Room Group

University of Durham, Warwick, Bath, Edinburgh

I want to study computer science and I don’t know which of the university to go to. I want to have a good social life but also good education, reputation, connection and graduate employment. I live in England and Idk if I’m ready to move to Scotland to study at university of Edinburgh because I’m leaving all my friends and family behind, also it’s a 4 year program without a masters degree. If there’s anyone that went to these universities that can give me advice
These are all excellent universities and highly ranked for Computer Sciences. The first task, therefore, is to look closely at the structure and content of each degree course that they offer and see which one has the modules and options that best match your interests and career or study aspirations.

While similar in standard, they are all very different institutions. You have rightly identified Edinburgh as the outlier. Bath and Warwick are both modern, campus universities of 1960s origin, located on the edge of the city centre. (Note that Warwick is on the outskirts of Coventry and is not in Warwick!) Durham, on the other hand, is a collegiate University spread around a small city with an historic and intimate atmosphere. You apply to the university but will be able to state an order of preference for the college to which you want to be allocated. It might be appropriate for you to choose one not too far distant from the teaching facilities in Computer Sciences - or, like many other applicants - you may prefer one of the historic and picturesque Bailey Colleges, situated near the cathedral.

So do your homework and check them out. Also take a look at the ease of travel from your home if that is important to you. But, whichever you choose, you can be sure of a high quality education and student life.
Reply 2
Original post by Supermature
These are all excellent universities and highly ranked for Computer Sciences. The first task, therefore, is to look closely at the structure and content of each degree course that they offer and see which one has the modules and options that best match your interests and career or study aspirations.

While similar in standard, they are all very different institutions. You have rightly identified Edinburgh as the outlier. Bath and Warwick are both modern, campus universities of 1960s origin, located on the edge of the city centre. (Note that Warwick is on the outskirts of Coventry and is not in Warwick!) Durham, on the other hand, is a collegiate University spread around a small city with an historic and intimate atmosphere. You apply to the university but will be able to state an order of preference for the college to which you want to be allocated. It might be appropriate for you to choose one not too far distant from the teaching facilities in Computer Sciences - or, like many other applicants - you may prefer one of the historic and picturesque Bailey Colleges, situated near the cathedral.

So do your homework and check them out. Also take a look at the ease of travel from your home if that is important to you. But, whichever you choose, you can be sure of a high quality education and student life.

Thank you. I think I will be going for open events for Warwick, Durham and Bath to decide. Also Edinburgh if I have the opportunity
Reply 3
Original post by o_belicia
I want to study computer science and I don’t know which of the university to go to. I want to have a good social life but also good education, reputation, connection and graduate employment. I live in England and Idk if I’m ready to move to Scotland to study at university of Edinburgh because I’m leaving all my friends and family behind, also it’s a 4 year program without a masters degree. If there’s anyone that went to these universities that can give me advice

Moving to a different Uni can be scary! I want to assure you that what you are experiencing is completely normal! :smile:

Unfortunately, it's a fact of life that people drift away when we venture off and do our own thing, Uni is without a doubt one of those kinds of ventures. Luckily though, we have the internet, so my advice is to utilize it for the intended purpose i.e connect with others rather than what we normally see, which is people being more disconnected.

I did my master's at Durham and I also applied to Warwick, but I turned it down for Durham. My time in Durham was fun, although I spent a lot of time by myself because that's just my preference. But, I'm assuming you're going to Uni for the first time and I can say at Durham, you'll probably make some life-long friends there and you'll have a blast there. I know many of my friends at Durham did! I did my undergraduate at the University of East Anglia and I had the best three years of my life there.

The other Universities i.e Bath and Edinburgh are also great universities and I'm sure it'll equally apply there too. At the end of the day, the reason why you go to University is because you want to earn a degree and so, my suggestion is to pick a university where you feel like you'll enjoy your modules the most. Everyone at University is really nice and friendly so no matter what University you end at, you can have the time of your life there. I presume you have social media, so you can always plan and keep contact with your friends and they may even visit you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending