The Student Room Group

What is Decimal search, g(x) and newton raphson??

Hi, can someone give me a description of these techniques?
I know how to use them, i just need to write a short description of what they are

Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by david95
Hi, can someone give me a description of these techniques?
I know how to use them, i just need to write a short description of what they are
Cheers

If you know how to use them, you should be able to describe them - it sounds like you literally want us to do your exact homework, which is unfortunately not happening :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by Smaug123
If you know how to use them, you should be able to describe them - it sounds like you literally want us to do your exact homework, which is unfortunately not happening :frown:

Exactly what I was thinking
the newton-raphson method is an iterative method for solving non-linear (as well as linear) equations numerically. It fails to work if the function is not differentiable at the root, or if the iterant we choose lies on an " n cycle" - where the value we choose keeps going round in circles.
Reply 4
Original post by DrSheldonCooper
the newton-raphson method… fails to work if the function is not differentiable at the root…

For "at", read "in the neighbourhood of", but it probably doesn't make much of a difference :smile:
For "at", read "in the neighbourhood of", but it probably doesn't make much of a difference :smile:

A`herm..i stand corrected! (i love a good stickler for precise terminology - a person after my own heart - i tend to "think" in a hurry, though!)
Reply 6
Original post by DrSheldonCooper
A`herm..i stand corrected! (i love a good stickler for precise terminology - a person after my own heart - i tend to "think" in a hurry, though!)

Of course :smile: it's the sort of thing you learn to be really precise about when you study Analysis, whether something has to be true over some interval or just at a point.
Reply 7

Quick Reply

Latest