The Student Room Group

A Level OCR Pure Maths Question HELP

EEFC1DC3-5233-446F-B9B8-C72AD16B04F2.jpeg
Just need help with 7b) im not sure where to start
Reply 1
Just use the usual formula so
new value = old value - f(old value)/f'(old value)
so evaulate the derivative and rearrange the right hand side as per the question
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Just use the usual formula so
new value = old value - f(old value)/f'(old value)
so evaulate the derivative and rearrange the right hand side as per the question

I really don’t understand how to do this. Can you please talk through it in detail?
Reply 3
Original post by Matheen1
I really don’t understand how to do this. Can you please talk through it in detail?

Im turning in, but Im presuming youve done newton raphson? You use it to find roots of a function such as this question
f(x) = 2x^2ln(x) + x^2 - 2
and you want to iterate to a solution (root) of
f(x) = 0
So differentiate it and use the usual formula which is in your book/previous post/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeg9HlSy9JA&ab_channel=TLMaths /...
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Im turning in, but Im presuming youve done newton raphson? You use it to find roots of a function such as this question
f(x) = 2x^2ln(x) + x^2 - 2
and you want to iterate to a solution (root) of
f(x) = 0
So differentiate it and use the usual formula which is in your book/previous post/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeg9HlSy9JA&ab_channel=TLMaths /...

58CE3A85-FB3F-431E-A52F-0038E3EB67D0.jpegAlright thanks i sort of get it now. But in the markscheme how do they go from the top step to the bottom step that’s what i dont understand
Reply 5
Original post by Matheen1
58CE3A85-FB3F-431E-A52F-0038E3EB67D0.jpegAlright thanks i sort of get it now. But in the markscheme how do they go from the top step to the bottom step that’s what i dont understand

They put the first term, xn, over the same denominator as the other term then combined and simplified terms.

Quick Reply

Latest