The Student Room Group

GCSE's or IGCSE's?

So what's the difference between GCSE's and IGCSE's? Which one is better and more credible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Also, what's the exam board used for IGCSE's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Honestly, there is hardly any difference apart from the fact that iGCSEs are taken internationally as well as in the UK. iGCSEs are considered to be harder because there is less coursework but personally don't believe any igcse/gcse is hard or easy it differs for everyone.

I'm not sure what board iGCSE is, but my iGCSE english was CIE (Cambridge International)
Reply 3
I did IGCSEs last year and when we took practice GCSE papers we were shocked by how easy the questions seemed compared to the IGCSE ones we were used to.
As for the boards, ours were Edexcel, AQA or OCR I think :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by marylavis
I did IGCSEs last year and when we took practice GCSE papers we were shocked by how easy the questions seemed compared to the IGCSE ones we were used to.
As for the boards, ours were Edexcel, AQA or OCR I think :smile:

For CIE IGCSE English (Cambridge board which is meant to be the hardest), the exam is in my opinion a lot easier, the questions a lot clearer and the marks a lot more easily obtained than on the 'proper' GCSE English Language boards AQA/OCR. What subjects did you find the GCSE questions easier in- Maths? If yes, then I'd definitely agree- IGCSE Maths contains concept which although aren't enormously difficult feature at AS Maths & Further Maths!
Reply 5
Original post by PhysicsKid
For CIE IGCSE English (Cambridge board which is meant to be the hardest), the exam is in my opinion a lot easier, the questions a lot clearer and the marks a lot more easily obtained than on the 'proper' GCSE English Language boards AQA/OCR. What subjects did you find the GCSE questions easier in- Maths? If yes, then I'd definitely agree- IGCSE Maths contains concept which although aren't enormously difficult feature at AS Maths & Further Maths!

Oh yeah I suppose I'd agree on the English front, I meant more Maths and Science in particular but also modern languages- I did German and the GCSE marking schemes seemed a lot more open than the IGCSE ones.
Reply 6
i have heard that iGCSEs are harder, but considering there is no non-calc paper in maths, no speaking test in french and less prescribed reading in english i would consider GCSEs more rigorous.

Quick Reply

Latest