The Student Room Group

Maths or some other subject

I got ungraded in maths IGCSE due to my personal issues so I want to ask do I have to give a retake? Can I give another subject instead of maths or do I have to regive maths. I am a private student and aiming to get a scholarship after alevels.
Original post by aleenagsishs
I got ungraded in maths IGCSE due to my personal issues so I want to ask do I have to give a retake? Can I give another subject instead of maths or do I have to regive maths. I am a private student and aiming to get a scholarship after alevels.

You say you're "aiming to get a scholarship after alevels"; a scholarship for what? A degree course at university?

If you're aiming to go to university, it's very likely that you'll be asked to achieve at least a grade 4 in GCSE/IGCSE Maths - or obtain an equivalent qualification. For example, many universities will accept Functional Skills Level 2 in Maths in lieu of a GCSE/IGCSE grade 4. The same is true of many (but not all) jobs - they will expect at least a grade 4 in GCSE/IGCSE Maths, or equivalent.

Do you know yet what you're likely to want to study at university? Do you have any target universities in mind? (There will be some courses / universities for which GCSE/IGCSE maths is not a requirement.)

You say that the reason you receive a U was "due to my personal issues". Are those issues on-going? Do they impact subjects other than Maths? Is a GCSE/IGCSE grade 4 realistic, given the issues that you're facing? Will it impact your A level studies too?

Quick Reply

Latest