The Student Room Group

GCSE vs IGCSE English Language??

i want to sit my English Language exams in november and i'm not sure if i should do GCSE or IGCSE. for context, i'm 17, english and i'm home-educated, and i'm going to apply to university later this year (taking A-levels next year). the reason i'm divided is because if i do the GCSE, I'll have to do the spoken component and it's a bit complicated to set that up as a private candidate, and the IGCSE doesn't have a spoken component, just exams, but i'm not sure whether that'll affect my application (like if the administration officers might mistake me for an international applicant, if they'd rather home applicants have GCSEs) or if it doesn't matter at all. so GCSE or IGCSE? thanks in advance
Most home ed students take the IGCSE. It makes no difference to college /sixth form / uni applications, or to employers.
Reply 2
You can also do coursework in iGCSE which would be useful.
Original post by Crazy_maths
You can also do coursework in iGCSE which would be useful.

Most home ed students avoid coursework as it's hard to get it signed off as a private candidate.

Luckily, all three IGCSE options do not require any coursework.

Personally we always use IGCSE Edexcel Spec B but many others prefer Spec A, or even CIE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending