The Student Room Group

Can i get crest white strips in the UK? Are they dangerous?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Laura1234567890
these are the ones i bought
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREST-3D-ADVANCED-WHITENING-STRIPS-28-STRIPS-14-DAYS-/200610637625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb5536739
they came in the box, don't know if they still do, i bought them 2 years ago!
i think sellers that only give you the pouches without the box are dodgy
because they must know people will want to read the instructions, expiry date and caution advice etc
i would recommend buying from a US seller as they'll more likely be real because they're not allowed in the uk so it makes me think ones from the uk are more likely to be fake
have a look at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/how-to-spot-genuine-crest-supreme-pro-whitestrips/10000000013950420/g.html

I am from the UK, how do i pay the VAT on those goods, i am a lill confused=p

ty
i didn't pay anything on top, i just paid the price listed on ebay
x
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I just get them off eBay, never the same seller each time. Look for crest 3d white advanced vivid and loads will come up. They are usually unboxed to save on postage, check sellers feedback and the expiry of the strips first though to make sure everything is legit.

How do these strip things work? Is it like a paste or something that you smother over your teeth with? Does it require brushing like toothpaste or something? Do they genuinely whiten your teeth or are they just a fake layer of white to cover your 'real' teeth?

Finally, are the results permanent or do they only last a few days/weeks before they need re-applying?

Sorry for the spamming fo questons - i've never heard of these 'strip' things. If it works out more cheaper than the teeth whitening then I suppose it's worth going for it.

Thanks! :wink: :biggrin:
Original post by Hustler-1337
How do these strip things work? Is it like a paste or something that you smother over your teeth with? Does it require brushing like toothpaste or something? Do they genuinely whiten your teeth or are they just a fake layer of white to cover your 'real' teeth?

Finally, are the results permanent or do they only last a few days/weeks before they need re-applying?

Sorry for the spamming fo questons - i've never heard of these 'strip' things. If it works out more cheaper than the teeth whitening then I suppose it's worth going for it.

Thanks! :wink: :biggrin:

As far as I'm aware the results are permanent until staining occurs in which case you'd have to do it again. They use hydrogen peroxide to bleach the enamel, it's like a thin plastic strip you stick to teeth that is covered in gel. In my experience they do work, I used to have very yellow teeth and now they are a normal colour. If I wanted Hollywood white teeth I'd get it done professionally though.

Just Google crest white strips and you'll get better info.
Reply 44
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I laughed more than I should have... :rofl:

:biggrin: I aim to please.
Reply 45
Original post by smorga30
Since dental hygiene is something we take very seriously here in th US we are able to use these with generally no sensitivity.

Errr, and are you suggesting that we don't take it seriously? :tongue:

What I gathered from time I spent in the US was that the aesthetics take priority over the health of your teeth. And that dentists will perform procedures on totally healthy teeth purely for aesthetic reasons because they make a **** tonne of money from gullible people doing so, something that doesn't happen so much over here as there's no financial gain in it for them.

I'm sure these strips are fine providing you don't go over the top, but if they do cause harm in anyway then I can totally see why they're readily available in the US, everybody but the consumer wins, and the the US has never been very good when it comes to that kind of thing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Cll_ws
Errr, and are you suggesting that we don't take it seriously? :tongue:

What I gathered from time I spent in the US was that the aesthetics take priority over the health of your teeth. And that dentists will perform procedures on totally healthy teeth purely for aesthetic reasons because they make a **** tonne of money from gullible people doing so, something that doesn't happen so much over here as there's no financial gain in it for them.

I'm sure these strips are fine providing you don't go over the top, but if they do cause harm in anyway then I can totally see why they're readily available in the US, everybody but the consumer wins, and the the US has never been very good when it comes to that kind of thing.

The fact that most people on the UK treat dental care as an emergency thing and not prevention says a lot. I've been getting a regular cleaning every six months since I was two and have never had any unnecessary procedures done. Most British people have never even gone for a simple clean and polish. Aesthetics are important to us I agree but who wants gnarly yellow teeth? I definitely don't agree that aesthetics take priority to health, they pretty much go together.

Like I said I have never had teeth whitened, just good dental maintenance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact that most people on the UK treat dental care as an emergency thing and not prevention says a lot. I've been getting a regular cleaning every six months since I was two and have never had any unnecessary procedures done. Most British people have never even gone for a simple clean and polish. Aesthetics are important to us I agree but who wants gnarly yellow teeth? I definitely don't agree that aesthetics take priority to health, they pretty much go together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you can generalise like that. I have a clean and polish everytime I go to the dentist. I have very well maintained teeth (years of braces, regular checkups etc) which happened to be yellow due to medication I'd taken when I was younger.
If Americans have such naturally great teeth them why do Crest sell so many whitening products there?
Reply 48
I don't think you can generalise like that. I have a clean and polish everytime I go to the dentist. I have very well maintained teeth (years of braces, regular checkups etc) which happened to be yellow due to medication I'd taken when I was younger.
If Americans have such naturally great teeth them why do Crest sell so many whitening products there?

I didn't generalize. I said MOST. I also agreed with you that we do like aesthetics. A lot of people want to take it up a notch with whiteness. I said before that I just have never used them because the natural whiteness I have now is fine for me. The Crest strips give you very white teeth. Lots of people get braces here which usually is followed by whitening. Why pay all that money for straight yellow teeth?

Also, a clean and polish here lasts at least an hour. I have yet to find that in the UK. I am in search of an American standard dentist, though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't generalize. I said MOST. I also agreed with you that we do like aesthetics. A lot of people want to take it up a notch with whiteness. I said before that I just have never used them because the natural whiteness I have now is fine for me. The Crest strips give you very white teeth. Lots of people get braces here which usually is followed by whitening. Why pay all that money for straight yellow teeth?

Also, a clean and polish here lasts at least an hour. I have yet to find that in the UK. I am in search of an American standard dentist, though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well as my dentist once told me "yellow teeth are usually just as healthy as white ones" it's just the pigment in them (obviously discounting decay or staining).
Teeth whitening here is common, it's just not mandatory.
Reply 50
Apparently the teeth whitening strips are illegal in the UK.
Reply 51
Well as my dentist once told me "yellow teeth are usually just as healthy as white ones" it's just the pigment in them (obviously discounting decay or staining).
Teeth whitening here is common, it's just not mandatory.

It's definitely not mandatory here! I'm glad you mentioned the decay and staining, though. That's what we strive so hard to conquer here! My USA dentist is quite concerned with the dental care I will receive in the UK. I hope to come home for whatever I need as I know I won't get what my teeth are accustomed to over there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52

We certainly don't treat it as an emergency thing. The fact that we have free dental available means that everybody is able to go for a regular check-up, and to remain with their surgery they will be required to. Then when something needs doing it'll get done. They'd rather fix the problem before it escalates and costs them a whole lot more to fix.

I'd like to know where you got the idea that most people have never been for a clean and polish?

Obviously nobody wants "gnarly yellow teeth", which is why the majority of people take advantage of the dental care available to them and look after their teeth between visits to the dentist.

My USA dentist is quite concerned with the dental care I will receive in the UK. I hope to come home for whatever I need as I know I won't get what my teeth are accustomed to over there.

You're view of British dental care seems very similar to a comedy stereotype. Are you being serious?

...I think you've been watching too much Family Guy

You can get whatever treatment you want here if you're willing to pay for it (unless it's for health reasons, in which case you can usually get it free) And if you're paying in the US already then that won't be much of a problem for you.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's definitely not mandatory here! I'm glad you mentioned the decay and staining, though. That's what we strive so hard to conquer here! My USA dentist is quite concerned with the dental care I will receive in the UK. I hope to come home for whatever I need as I know I won't get what my teeth are accustomed to over there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I think your dentist is maybe going by the stereotype and not the actuality. Like if I said I'd be worried about becoming obese if I came to America.
You can get amazing dental treatment here if you're willing to pay for it!
Reply 54
Lol, I was just saying! I didn't say you can't use it.
Reply 55
I just get mine off eBay.
As far as their safety, I have been using about a pack a year for the last 5 years or so and I've had no problems. I get a mild sensitivity after using them but this only lasts about 24hrs.

Original post by RobinK
I get mine from http://www.discounthealthproducts.co.uk/Crest_Whitestrips_Supreme.htm

I use the Advanced Vivid, though I find that I don't have to use all of them. Generally around half the pack is fine, and I save the other ones to 'top up' the whiteness every now and then. It helps avoid sensitivity too.

Original post by Maid Marian
Could I ask if you could provide a link to the ones you buy? :bigsmile: I've wanted to whiten my teeth for ages but I don't want to spend money on something that won't work.

Original post by Jelephant
They're been banned in the UK because of the amount of hydrogen peroxide. I'm not telling you not to get them, but at least read up on the subject before you jump into using them.

Does this look like a reliable seller?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREST-3D-PRO-EFFECTS-PROFESSIONAL-TEETH-WHITENING-WHITESTRIPS-5-7-10-14-20-40-/300939087589?pt=UK_HealthBeauty_DentalCare_RL&var=&hash=item46115e0ee5
Reply 56
I buy my Whitestrips from http://cheapotc.net/product-category/crest-whitestrips/ good prices and fast shipping
Reply 57
I've seen beauty bloggers using the real ones and the results look pretty good.

Anyone planning to buy the white strips for yourself: don't use if you already have sensitive teeth and make sure you're not getting imitation ones as results could potentially be quite scary.
Reply 58
You can't buy them in the UK or from Ebay as there banned all over Europe- I think they're the only thing that works.

You basically have to find a shop selling from outside of Europe thats willing to send them inside the uk
Stay away from caliwhitec.uk, Crestwhitestrips.co.uk, teethwhiteningshop.co.uk, crestwhitestripsonline.co.uk and other scammers! All of them sell fake products. All products are sent from Hong Kong or China. I contacted manufacturer providing photos of the item I received from Hong Kong and received a reply that they can't provide any information about non-genuine products. Manufacturer suggested me to purchase Crest products from a reputable retailer. AVOID SCAMMERS and only buy Crest products from a reputable retailers (mostly based in the USA).

Quick Reply

Latest